Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Sony CDP 591 recognizes disc but doesn't play
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2017, 08:54 PM   #11
Gregje is offline Gregje  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
good to know.
I have reported that in the very same thread
Old 4th November 2017, 02:42 PM   #12
Depaj is offline Depaj  France
diyAudio Member

Well, the schematics are really bad quality, I checked the obvious +/-5v +/10v -30v and the +7v rails and they are all there but it's hard to read the rest. Some other stuff that might help someone point me in the right direction, the little led on the volume potentiometer also goes out when the laser resets (all the voltages stay on track) and when I go to track 8 or whatever and press play, the block always return to its initial position before trying to play. I can also fast forward and backwards normally but again, when I press play it returns to its initial position and starts at 1 again.
Old 4th November 2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The led going out is something you can work to. See how its powered and see what happens to the supply feeding the LED when the fault occurs.
Old 4th November 2017, 02:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The led is connected to the +5v rail and then through a resistor to pin 27 on the system control IC which should be at 0v and it is, when the led goes out, at the same time as the laser resets and the display goes out (all just for a split second) pin 27 jumps to about 4v. The +5v rails stays steady but I guess that the fact that it is for just a very short time could mean that it is just compensated by the filter caps.
Old 4th November 2017, 03:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

There is some hum on the headphone output, in sync with the spinning and moving of de disc and laser (when I put on pause or stop the hum goes away), same thing on the regular outputs where it translates on the oscilloscope to a very slight +/- dc offset swing.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:04 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

When I disconnect the -5v rail I don't have sound which is logical but the disc reads normally. I suppose I can assume that means something is wrong in the output stage (disconnecting the headphone amp didn't change anything before.
Old 4th November 2017, 06:08 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

It was worth a try to look at the LED. I didn't realise it was driven from the syscon, I thought it was illuminated all the time.

So is the headphone hum another possible clue ?

The headphone amp input is taken from the main line output and is under control of the muting transistors which is probably why the hum disappears in pause and stop mode.

I scope the -/+5 volt rails at the line output stage.

Also check for clean 5 volts on Q209 emitter and a clean 7 volts on Q208 collector.
Old 4th November 2017, 07:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

It is illuminated all the time but the 0v still is on the control chip.

Q203 appears dead, it reads open base to collector so I can't test any further for now.

The +5v rail gives me this reading on the scope :20171104_195300.jpg

And this is on the 7v rail : 20171104_195237.jpg

+/- 10v gives me the same result as on the +5v rail. also I can't seem to pick up the signal on the output of the DAC.
Old 4th November 2017, 07:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Q203 is the main +5 volt series pass transistor. If there is 5 volts on the collector then its probably OK. The scope should show a clean 5 volts with minimal noise and ripple (<50 mv pk/pk)

The 7 volt rail (Q208) should be similar for noise and ripple.

The outputs of opamp IC306 are where you will pick the audio signal up.

Make sure you are using the correct power supply ground points.
Old 4th November 2017, 07:53 PM   #20
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If you touched up components in the servos (assuming they are analog) or pick up related electronics you may need to clean off flux residue.

The fact that the fuses blew is a pretty clear indication you shorted something with the power on, or created a short that was cleared by a large current at power on that probably took something out (permanently).

Sony CDP 591 recognizes disc but doesn't playHide this!Advertise here!