Dead NAD???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so this is now up and running, I re-soldered the power connection (after buying a desoldering pump and decent soldering iron)... to no avail.

However I did notice that one of the fuses looked a little deformed, almost like a slice of the windings had dripped a little, worked out it was on the analog side So replaced both and it now works at a good volume. Guess that being a slow burn fuse it must have partially blown, increasing resistance enough to strangle the current (and volume), but not enough so it didn't work or show up as a total fail on the voltmeter.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Great to hear you have sussed it and its all working :up:

Fuses can be odd beasts at times although in all my years as a service tech I can only recall one case of an 'intermittent' where the internal wire was not soldered to the fuse cap.

Well done :)

Thanks for your help once again, sure I would have just binned it otherwise.
Currently I'm doing some listening tests, I've got a duplicate cd in my collection, so have the fixed Nad c541i plugged in to one input and my Nad c525bee in the other. Using the same remote I have the two devices synced exactly on the CD and simply switching the inputs on the amp!
Bizarrely, despite them reading the same time, swapping over there seems to be a couple of second delay, so you can hear the same section seconds later.

First note is the 541i comes across as 5db louder (well I increased the level 5db on my amp to make them the same level to try and make it a fair comparison).

Think I am edging on preferring the 541i as it just sounds a tad livelier. Maybe a little more emphasis on the treble?

Next step should be a simple one with a bit of extra insulation and dampening, to help it along.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If the sync is out then there is a difference somewhere. CD's are not always identical, later issues can be remastered... there could be differences.

No analogue amplifier will give any noticeable delay between inputs, if it is an 'AV' amp with lots of digital processing then its another story.

Not done too much since the last update, but used some sound deadening internally, whilst I'm a little sceptical on this and the ability to improve the sound, am sure it can only be a good thing.

Generally though the device seems a lot happier, previously the door would occasional stop halfway on opening/ closing and reverse, doesn't happen now for some reason, almost like it's been broken in again! [emoji846]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.