Playstation as CD-player

Thanks for the reply... I have collected several SPCH-1001 units at this point (can't seem to pass them up when I see them.) Anyway, I disconnected the "defective' unit, put it on a shelf, and wired up the next in line. That's the beauty of a $25 cd player, if it goes bad you can either fix it or use it for parts.

The new one is playing perfectly.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hello all.

Rejuvenating an old thread!

Got my old ps rigged up yesterday. It was still in the loft st my dad's house!

Have taken it out of the case and screwed it to a wooden platten.

It sounds ace! Will probably do a remote psu mod.

The controller won't skip beyond track 10. Is this a thing they do?
And sometimes it is picky with reading discs. What is the protocol to get a CD playing? I seem to have to press the start button just at the right time after the boot tune stops playing.

After all these years, I am still impressed with the sound quality one can obtain following Mick Feuerbacher's Web site.

For the output stage, I installed the following:
  • 2x 4.7uF, 25V Elna Silmic II (RFS) electrolytic capacitors
  • 2x 0.1uF, 400V Illinois Capacitor MPW film capacitors (bypasses the Elna Silmic II caps)
  • 2x 22kohm Vishay-Dale RNF55 metal film resistors
  • 20ga Duelund DCA20GA cotton-clad Tinned Copper hook-up wire
Sony Playstation 1 Model SCPH-1001 Modifications 1.jpg

On the stock power supply, I installed the following:
  • 0.1uF, 250V Evox-Rifa PHE420 film capacitor
  • 150uF, 200V Panasonic ED electrolytic capacitor on primary stage reservoir position
  • Various Panasonic FR low ESR electrolytic capacitors on secondary stage filter positions
  • Nichicon Fine Tune electrolytic capacitor on secondary stage filter position
Sony Playstation 1 Model SCPH-1001 Modifications 2.jpg

I also followed the instructions to set:
  • Laser intensity
  • Laser gain
  • Laser bias

The tonality is very natural and the separation between instruments is very good. The overall presentation is very engaging and improved over the stock unit audio quality with more dynamic punch and extended frequency response.

Late to the party I know...but a few questions please?

It's got a bit unwieldy trying to find what I want out of three hundred pages so excuse me asking directly.
My PS1 (SCPH-1002) has the AK4310 DAC not the 4309, Following Mick's website, (and assuming no difference in layout) I've completed bypass of the caps. Is there anymore I should do with the 4310. Will my output be low and is there another opamp. It all got a bit confusing at that point. It certainly sounds ok directly in to my amp. but what if I ever change amp?

Also: Blue light near the laser. A good thing or a bad thing or a makes no difference bling thing?

Thanks in advance

It's got a bit unwieldy trying to find what I want out of three hundred pages so excuse me asking directly.
My PS1 (SCPH-1002) has the AK4310 DAC not the 4309, Following Mick's website, (and assuming no difference in layout) I've completed bypass of the caps. Is there anymore I should do with the 4310. Will my output be low and is there another opamp. It all got a bit confusing at that point. It certainly sounds ok directly in to my amp. but what if I ever change amp?

Also: Blue light near the laser. A good thing or a bad thing or a makes no difference bling thing?

Thanks in advance

if you bypassed (via great Mik website process) some of the circuit I think you dont need any more tweaks since you left alone the op amp(s?) function.
just work on improving the psu performance and create some good damping system.
Btw I personally think the swap of the original opamp(s) with some "better" bb is the biggest step for enhancement

Did anyone ever solve the weird PSU problem with scph-5002s? Mine exhibits the same behaviour as mention som 200 pages back but I never saw a fix. Basically, when I fit a linear PSU to the 5002: 7.6v /0v and 3.6v /0v t to the first four pins on the mobo, (and ignore the reset) the disk continues to spin when the lid is closed. It also won't respond to the controller. If I power down and up again there's a chance it will work properly but 75% of the time it doesn't.