Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Playstation as CD-player
Playstation as CD-player
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2008, 05:12 PM   #2021
john blackburn is offline john blackburn  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Its not the most elegant of layouts and the heatsinks still need securing to the board hence the flameproof rizla packet shim and the wobbly alignment.

This is the second stage mounted in the casing. The din plug sits under the now obsolete reset switch hole as I have a pawnshop price sticker for 10 UK pounds that had to be kept intact and the Playstation sits against a wall so no space is available behind it for wiring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0001.jpg (64.0 KB, 937 views)
Old 4th May 2008, 05:20 PM   #2022
john blackburn is offline john blackburn  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Its still in lethal exposed AC wiring test mode, it will all be insulated and properly terminated before it gets boxed up. I dont want to shock myself whilst stamping out the flames.

First impressions are very favourable indeed, I think the Playstation is a tremendous CD player for the money involved. A mate came over for a listen and went away to empty his cupboards as he was sure he had one somewhere. It turned out he had two, a 1002 and a 5502 so guess what we are going to be doing in the near future!

John
Old 4th May 2008, 06:23 PM   #2023
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am messing with different ideas to support the transport.

So far :-

Base of old Linn Kan stand, mass loaded with SoundBytes (a type of iron filing)
Top plate of stand bolted to base with a sheet of Deflex sandwiched between
Transport on original board blu-tak'd to it.
Whole lot sat on bathroom scales from Woolies (2.99)

Scales show weight at about 15 pounds. Sounds good.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...portFrame2.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...portFrame1.jpg
Old 4th May 2008, 06:27 PM   #2024
Tolu is offline Tolu  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have bought a second SCPH-1002 because with the first I did the Mick F. mod and wasn't content at all (perhaps because of other values of C and R). The "new" is connected just with the original Multi-A/V-cable and that is it. I have no more needs to modify anything. Perhaps I'll throw out the power supply off the box because the Playstation gets hot after some hours and than it refusese to play any CD.
Old 4th May 2008, 07:06 PM   #2025
joydivision is offline joydivision  Portugal
diyAudio Member

KBK, despotic,

you are aware of the fact that an output transformer will, the least said, color the sound, or even worse, raise distortion or make it loose something at the top end of the audio spectrum? You'd need at least a high quality audio transformer (expensive!) to try and come close to the quality of a good implemented opamp buffer, and I very much doubt you'd ever reach the level of a good discrete buffer. But anyway, everyone is free to go the way he likes

Quick quote from an article about audio xformers:

Quote:
Cheapest transformers for audio use have some problems on the sound quality, typically distorted bass response and attenuating in high-frequency response. Basically a poor transformer slows down high frequencies more than low frequencies (because of transformer leakage inductance). This allows the low frequencies to pass first, creating what we perceive as a "fat/warm" tone. Inadequate frequency response on the low end (roll off at like 20Hz), causes low frequencies to be "slowed", allowing the upper frequencies to be heard first, this is perceived as "barky/ brittle".

High-quality audio transformers cover whole audio band with good response, but those are quite expensive. Depending the application you might have to do some weighting against the price of the transformer and the sound quality.
Old 5th May 2008, 04:03 AM   #2026
despotic931 is offline despotic931  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to despotic931
Quote:
Originally posted by joydivision
KBK, despotic,

you are aware of the fact that an output transformer will, the least said, color the sound, or even worse, raise distortion or make it loose something at the top end of the audio spectrum? You'd need at least a high quality audio transformer (expensive!) to try and come close to the quality of a good implemented opamp buffer, and I very much doubt you'd ever reach the level of a good discrete buffer. But anyway, everyone is free to go the way he likes

Quick quote from an article about audio xformers:

Mmmm, thanks for the info joydivision, has anyone drawn up a schematic for a knew opamp buffer?

As far as my distortion problem goes, I ran into my first pressed CD that distorted when played today! Sadly it was my Harry Chapin "Gold Medal Collection" I need to get out my meter and adjust this laser...

-Justin
Old 5th May 2008, 06:55 PM   #2027
diyAudio Member

despotic,
if after some tries of adjusting the laser, you can't get it to work, seriously consider grabbing another PS1 from ebay or so... they're are cheap, and if you plan to invest time and money in modding your unit, it better be a good working one, or it'll be all for nothing...

As for the output buffer, several solutions exist.
Don't know if you already checked out Mick's site ( http://www.dogbreath.de/PS1/output/output.html ).
Then there is my project ( http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1356 ), actually I changed the buffer later after already having had a good sounding solution, made it even better. It's a little known special opamp topology, which brought some additional sound stage. And then, there are alternative discrete solutions (I recall there's somwhere a great design Jocko did...) or even tube buffer, like some people prefer. Plenty of choices
Old 6th May 2008, 02:53 PM   #2028
despotic931 is offline despotic931  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to despotic931
is it worth while to just by a new laster assembly? or should I just buy a whole new unit? My thought is with a new assembly I dont risk having any problems with a worn out drive...

-justin
Old 6th May 2008, 03:26 PM   #2029
diyAudio Member

Sure, if you can get yourself a good priced new laser unit, then that's the way to go. But first, be sure that your playstation works ok, except for the laser...
I mean, at least find some CD it doesn't distort, and let it play for some hours, to be sure sound is good, and no other malfunctions.
Old 6th May 2008, 10:04 PM   #2030
Tolu is offline Tolu  Germany
diyAudio Member

Can anyone explain this mod?

80-100% more power

Playstation as CD-playerHide this!Advertise here!