Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Playstation as CD-player
Playstation as CD-player
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2006, 05:27 AM   #1121
DragonMaster is offline DragonMaster  Canada
diyAudio Member

Clearer, I wouldn't have thought that it could do this, but less hum, possibly. If you modded the PlayStation, there's no more muting transistor, so when the PSX is off, or the DAC isn't used, it's doing as if you left the cables unplugged - humming. Grounding the PSX case is simply cancelling the hum picked up by the cables. If the rest of your equipment is also double-insulated (No ground), the PSX is the path to ground, which isn't always a good thing. In this case, the amp should be also grounded.
Old 23rd August 2006, 01:30 PM   #1122
mrskinny is offline mrskinny  Canada
diyAudio Member

I didn't think that this would make any difference either. The muting transistors are still hooked up, I forgot about this mod. The amp isn't grounded, and you're right- grounding everything through the Playstation isn't a good idea. I'm going to try a different power supply in it today, as I don't trust the one in it after hearing that wierd noise from it. I will try grounding the amp too, and see what happens.
Old 23rd August 2006, 02:43 PM   #1123
DragonMaster is offline DragonMaster  Canada
diyAudio Member

OK, about whistling, there's no problem, it's an SMPS power supply, and they get noisy with time. (Insulation on the transformer dries and let the transformer resonate apparently. Are you sure the whistling came out of the speakers, and not from the unit itself?

Well, that mod, even if the muting transistors are still hooked, if you did the last mod on Mick's site, he bypassed everything, connecting 1st pair of caps directly to the outputs.
Old 23rd August 2006, 05:03 PM   #1124
diyAudio Member

That noise did come through the speakers- that's why I'm concerned about it. No problems, but no reason to take a chance either- I have 5 of them, so there's plenty to scrounge from. This player has Micks output mod, and I cut the plastic "tab" off the back of the transport to allow the suspension to float freely.
Old 24th August 2006, 04:38 PM   #1125
diyAudio Member

Put a different power supply into the Playstation yesterday. Hooked it up to the computer speakers again, this time no more funny noises, it worked fine. I also connected a ground wire to the amp. I was expecting to get a ground loop hum when the ground wire was connected to the shielding on the Playstation, but, surprisingly, no noise. The ground wire on the amp did clean up the sound, overall it seemed a lot less "noisy". Unfortunately, the Playstation doen't sound as good with this power supply though. Nevertheless, it still sounds better with the ground wire hooked up to the shield, though the difference isn't as pronounced. I wondered if this had something to do with the amp being grounded, so I also tried it with the ground on the amp disconnected, but the difference was the same. I'd guess from this result that the reason for the big difference in sound when I first tried the ground wire had something to do with the other power supply I'd first used.
Old 24th August 2006, 07:02 PM   #1126
carawu is offline carawu
diyAudio Member

Moin,

try this link:
http://sound.westhost.com/earthing.htm

Carsten
Old 25th August 2006, 06:57 AM   #1127
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

I dont really understand what you are doing. If you close the connection of the main board and the PSU board, you automatically have a connection between the ground of the PSU and the main board shields, as the latter are connected to the ground of the main board. If you add an extra ground connection (this is what I understand you did), you create a ground loop. This may be the reason why the PS1 sounds worse then, which is not very surprising.

Or did I misunderstand something??

Mick
Old 25th August 2006, 02:32 PM   #1128
diyAudio Member

The little enclosure that I put the power supply in is grounded, but the power supply is not grounded to the enclosure. All I did was hook a ground wire up from the power supply enclosure to the shield around the main circuit board. There is no ground loop, as the circuit is only grounded to earth at one point- where the wire is attatched to the shield around the main PCB. As far as the difference in sound between the two power supplies goes, I don't know. It may have something to do with whatever problem the first supply has (that creates the whistling noise when its powered off). I do remember someone posting here who had tried different versions of the power supplies in their player, and found that the original one sounds the best. Unfortunately, the supply with the problem was the original.
Old 1st September 2006, 07:26 AM   #1129
marcus1 is offline marcus1
diyAudio Member

Default Modifying the PS1

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMaster
I don't know if Mick's mod using a Dremel to cut the traces is updated. After I tried it I found that you need to cut all the 3(One for the mono / st switch) audio signal traces going to the RCA plugs and you should put a jumper between both pins on the right channel.

Hi,
Just finished reading the whole 113 pages . Before I start trying to modify my 1002, I'm not sure if anyone followed up the above post by DragonMaster about making extra cuts etc to the one shown on Mick's website under "Modifiying the output stage of the Sony Playstation SCPH100x".
I'm going to cut the traces as per the photo below. Are there any additional cuts or jumpers to do on the board?

[IMG]
Playstation as CD-player
[/IMG]

cheers
Old 1st September 2006, 08:52 AM   #1130
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

Marcus, the website is updated. If you connect the wire from the DAC and the ground resistor to the left pin of the right-channel RCA (see picture below) you dont have to add any jumper.

Playstation as CD-player

Mick

Playstation as CD-playerHide this!Advertise here!