Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Can I use a Tablet as my Music player?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2017, 05:01 PM   #1
HarryY is offline HarryY  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Can I use a Tablet as my Music player?

A little history: I used to enjoy listening to music on a nice system, but life
has a way of pulling you away from the things you enjoy. Now that my
children are grown I find myself with the desire to enjoy music on a nice
system again. So yesterday I ordered a Elekit tube amp (TU-8200)
and I'm starting on my way back to enjoying music again.

---

I was talking to my son last night and told him I wanted a single standalone
device that I can load all my music into and hook that device to my amplifier.

His reply was just use a tablet or an old cell phone. Admittedly his answer
caught me a bit off guard, but the more I think about it he may have a point.

It would give me a way to have an easy interface with the touch screen, easy
to hook to my network, I could even stream a online radio station etc .

So the next question is how do I get there from here?

I realize I could just hook a cable from the earphone jack to the amp
but that is a bit crude. I would prefer a interface between the Tablet
and the amplifier (DAC ?)

Thank you
Old 5th August 2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quick answer - yes. This is a good and easy way to do it. Start with the headphone output and go from there. Your choice of device may depend on what you can connect to it, such as an external DAC.

This thread might be better over in the PC section, but we'll leave it here for the moment to see how it goes.
Old 5th August 2017, 05:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Quick answer - yes. This is a good and easy way to do it. Start with the headphone output and go from there. Your choice of device may depend on what you can connect to it, such as an external DAC.

This thread might be better over in the PC section, but we'll leave it here for the moment to see how it goes.
Thank you.
Old 5th August 2017, 06:52 PM   #4
Konzentr8 is offline Konzentr8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You could also attach a bluetooth receiver to one of the amps inputs and stream from the phone/ tab providing it was bluetooth enabled which almost all are .
Old 5th August 2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Globulator is offline Globulator  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I run two pieces of audio software on my Android Tablets.

1) Standalone: Rocket Player, a brilliant app.
2) On the Wifi I start Chrome and point it to my SeeDeClip4 music server (wot I wrote - google will find it).

I did make a small wooden stand for my 7" tablet so it sits at a nice angle.
Note you can use an OTG USB cable and hook up decent DACs to tablets and phones!
Old 5th August 2017, 08:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globulator View Post
I run two pieces of audio software on my Android Tablets.

1) Standalone: Rocket Player, a brilliant app.
2) On the Wifi I start Chrome and point it to my SeeDeClip4 music server (wot I wrote - google will find it).

I did make a small wooden stand for my 7" tablet so it sits at a nice angle.
Note you can use an OTG USB cable and hook up decent DACs to tablets and phones!

I was thinking about that part, I need to find or make one that lets me
charge and power the tablet as well as have it hooked to the OTG adapter.

Thank you
Old 5th August 2017, 08:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konzentr8 View Post
You could also attach a bluetooth receiver to one of the amps inputs and stream from the phone/ tab providing it was bluetooth enabled which almost all are .
That would make for less wires
Old 6th August 2017, 10:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've not heard a bluetooth link that sounded as good as a cable yet, most I've heard were a long way off, but that could be just my experience.

Also note with Android OTG DACs there is I think a tendency of Android to drive the DAC to the highest speed it can do which means 44.1 ends up played at 192kHz when perhaps 88.2 may be more desirable.

In my case I prefer to set SeeDeClip4 to upsample to 24/88.2k into a modded Behringer Ultracurve DAC (modded to bypass the output opamps) from a laptop via optical.
For this I use a cheap USB-optical converter, but only after I bought a couple I realised none of them supported 88.2k either, the posh Phiree adapter does 44.1, 48, 96 but no 88.2!
So I've now ordered this - the only reasonably priced converter I could find that does 88.2/24:
CM6631A USB to SPDIF coaxial optical 24/192 24bit 192kHz DAC soundcard with case | eBay
The key seems to be the CM6631A chip.

The 'money' solution is to feed 44.1/24 into an Ultramatch, upsample there and then via AES into the Ultracurve at 88.2 but I wanted to reduce the box count by upsampling at the app end.

One thing I'd avoid in digital from Android or a laptop is 16bits, because you will be feeding via USB it's digital (rather than analog) and so the level controls on those devices will (be forced to) use digital level control (with possible re-dithering) and you can lose several bits of resolution when you turn the level down.
I realised this happens last night as the Ultracurve tells me what level it's getting and a fully digital Win10/USB-Optical/Ultracurve with partial volume set on the laptop gets a reduced level in the Ultracurve.
It's possible the USB is being cleverer than I think and it's actually sending a scaling factor along too but I suspect it's just scaling the digital: so either have a 24bit compliant DAC or select full volume on your tablet.

Full level is not an option for me BTW as I control the tablet remotely - including the level - so 24bit should in theory allow the resolution to remain even at low volume settings on the tablet/laptop.
Silk: CuteStudio Ltd. SeeDeClip4: a DeClipping Multiuser Digital Music Server over HTML5. - SeeDeClip4/Tech
I.e. I have the music server in the garage streaming on demand to a device running the Chrome web browser (A Win10 Laptop but a Tablet does the job fine too) plugged into the hifi, controlled from my Apple laptop on the sofa

I hope that makes sense, I'm not convinced I made it very clear LOL
Basically if you have a tablet you can still get hi quality audio with a little attention to detail IMO!
Old 6th August 2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Konzentr8 is offline Konzentr8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I agree although bluetooth has come a long way and it is possible to get an acceptable sound now a ' hard ' link via cable will always give better quality .
It's just a question of balancing convenience with quality .
Old 6th August 2017, 11:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

BTW on some tablets the sound is pretty good if you just plug in a 3.5mm to RCA/phono adapter to your amp, don't skip this step as you may be pleasantly surprised!

Can I use a Tablet as my Music player?Hide this!Advertise here!