Naim CDi servo board problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry about that.

HF
38397604241_fe526f4f41_b.jpg

7310 pin2
38397603471_39bec213aa_b.jpg

output post
37683417004_9607553217_b.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The RF does look a bit noisy tbh, particularly at the lower part of the signal. You need to be sure the scope ground is on the ground relating to the RF amp (not just clipped to anywhere in the power supply). If your scope is on 0.5v/div as it seems to be from the image then the amplitude is fine.

The other two look just like 'ground' noise. If you keep the same scope settings and scope ground attachment point and then transfer the probe tip to the ground pin of the IC in question then I suspect you would see the same.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
What is left unchanged, is it just the DAC ?

Looking back on the thread and I remember you having shorted pins on one of IC's which you replaced. That got it back up and running... but now this other problem.

The unit had an unknown history (post #1) as I recall, so I'm just wondering if someone has shorted things out and zapped more silicon somewhere.

Bringing back the thread from the dead.

Due to other commitments I haven't been able to update this thread in last 2 years, my apologies.

At this stage I'm leaning strongly toward to the possibility of a defected TDA1541A-S1 but just to confirm the hypothesis can be costly. However I've recently discovered that eBay has a "replacement" at just shy of $13 AUD, 8 TDA1387 in parallel as sub for the TDA1541A.

It's on its way as we speak, I will come back with the result ASAP.
(PS: photos are from Ebay)

Attachments

• O1CN01cdUvT52CFOwaZjjW4_!!708338444.jpg
    O1CN01cdUvT52CFOwaZjjW4_!!708338444.jpg
    817.5 KB · Views: 78
  • O1CN013xydaV2CFOwVyrRqJ_!!708338444.jpg
    O1CN013xydaV2CFOwVyrRqJ_!!708338444.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 73
Nice one on getting it reading discs again! Have you checked voltages on the pins of the 1541 itself? I had an S1 that was dragging down one of the rails (can’t remember which) and needed replacement. Same issue, no audio out. This was on a Radford/Woodside player, digi out was fine.

If you prove it is the 1541, contact me if you want a genuine S1 - I have a few I managed to purchase as end of line from Revox here in CH a few years ago - I’m really keeping them for myself, but you deserve one changing a 7310 at home :)

Richard

Nice one on getting it reading discs again! Have you checked voltages on the pins of the 1541 itself? I had an S1 that was dragging down one of the rails (can’t remember which) and needed replacement. Same issue, no audio out. This was on a Radford/Woodside player, digi out was fine.

If you prove it is the 1541, contact me if you want a genuine S1 - I have a few I managed to purchase as end of line from Revox here in CH a few years ago - I’m really keeping them for myself, but you deserve one changing a 7310 at home :)

Richard

Hi Richard, how have you been?

It has been a long time but I remember injecting audio signal to the output pins of the 1541 and sure enough I got audible output at the other end. Everything up to the 1541 was OK and everything after it was OK so I think the 1541 might be taking an eternal sleep.

Thank you for your offer in regards to the 1541, much appreciated. I will update this thread ASAP but shipping is a bit sluggish with recent events.

Aaron

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the late update. The substitutes got delayed due to the current pandemic and I got myself involved into some other tasks. Anyway I swapped them over and...nothing changed. Still no sound. The CD spins and time advances but the decoding part is dead as a rock.

It was at this point at I knew this is probably beyond my capabilities. So I threw in the towel.

I would like to thank all the people here on DIY who helped me since I started this project. Especially Mooly and dowser, your help is very much appreciated. Like all thing this project must now come to an end. Not the end I was looking for but I learned a lot from everyone. So, thanks again.

I'm still enjoying music everyday with my other CD player, the Beosound 9000. I've also acquired a few toys in the past couple of months including Quad II amps, Oswald Imperia (custom made) some vintage Macintosh gears. All is good.

Cheers
Aaron

Just seen this thread.

Aaron, have you tried unplugging and replugging all PCB connectors? I’ve heard of your CDI issues before with another owner and he solved it by just doing this. Sometimes the connectors corrode over time I guess and can cause random issues. Might be worth trying :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.