DF1706 and software mode control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PIC programmers are easy to build yourself. Do a web search for JDM programmer, and you'll find a lot of information. The complete IDE including editors, assemblers, and even simulators is available for free download from the manufacturer, Microchip. They also have a great library of application notes and sample code to help to get you started.

Hi; Thanks for the replys guys. I'll do a search on the web for more info.

How many I/O's would it need? I'm not sure maybe 6/7 . 2 i/ps for the up/down switches and 3 o/ps for the serial data and maybe add a few extra for good measure I guess

If you already know how to program the 8515, I'd recommend the compatible and far smaller (but still DIP) ATmega8. The STK-500 is the best way to program them, and it's less than $100 from Digi-Key. I write my code in an editor, compile it with avra and load it onto the chip with uisp. There is probably equivalent software for Windows or MacOS, if you use those. You should also see http://www.avrfreaks.net/

Nice thing about the AVR is it's built-in SPI port. You don't need to worry about the protocol, it's handled in hardware. Makes banging data into the DIR1706 or the CS8420 a snap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.