Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

Joined 2009
Paid Member
As known, Oppo have already issued on market the new series UHD models, starting with a lite and cheaper edition - Oppo UDP 203. It will follow quite soon the next full edition model 205 (expected with the new DAC chip ESS9038 inside).
I may come soon with my considerations about this new model, based on the available pictures. I also hope to have quite soon the opportunity to improve this new model.

I think to open this new thread dedicated to these new Oppo products. Please feel free to come here with your opinions, appreciations, mods and/or improvements in this field.

Attachments

• UDP-203-internal-hr.jpg
    UDP-203-internal-hr.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 4,159
  • 203.jpg
    203.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 3,740
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Some considerations about the new Oppo UDP players family....

Looking at the pictures of the first released model (UDP203), one can see the similar design approach as for the former Oppo models: the main digital board, powered by the same SMPS, and in this case of an UDP low cost version player (203), the cheap solution for DAC & analogue outputs (stereo or multi-channel.
It looks to me that the previous 101 model (quite reduced production) it was more like a prototype, or market-testing product. The new series it seems based also on the design of 101 (quite modular, and easy configurable for different versions).

The new models are using also a new main processor, more powerful and less power hungry. Even though less necessary power, Oppo goes the same SMPS way, which in my opinion is enough unfortunate. The new version SMPS is smaller and simpler. Nothing special about filtering and/or a high quality DC output voltages. It may be possible that this last SMPS it use a higher switching frequency, and so the HF transformer became smaller...
A unique 12v power rail (the same approach as for 101 model) now powers the main digital board. From this main 12v rail, are further DC/DC (SMPS) converted and then regulated accordingly for the necessary power rails of the processors on board. Switching mode converters all over the places...
A SMPS should always be shielded, as it generate quite much HF noises (EMI) in the near environment. Not the case about this 203 model... Maybe the 205 should benefit of the same shielding as the former 105/105D models.
As I can see in the released internal pictures of UDP203, the SMPS it is designed and ready for the 205 model too. For sure and for production reasons, the new UDP series it will be equipped with the same power supply (accordingly populated for targeted model version).

The DAC section in 203 is identical as for 101 model: DAC modules designed for stereo and multi-channel configurations, based on AKM low cost DAC chip. It looks to me that the DAC and analogue section of 203 model is not meant for high quality audio outputs, but more as an audio monitoring option.
Well, the AKM DAC chip it can output more quality analogue signal, but in this cheap Oppo design is not the case. The low cost mute solution, using transistors, it negative affect the overall analogue quality of the signal. The same as the poor power filtering and decoupling on-board.

The Oppo series of players it had and seems to continue to include a very good disk driver. This last one, of course 4k capable. Always the same mechanical rigid mounting on chassis...

We are waiting now for the 205 model, which for sure it will have some substantial improvements comparing with this already released UDP- 203.
However, in my opinion, the 205 it will be also similar as overall design with the former models: same new digital approach as for 203, and a separate analogue section, powered by a similar toroid, and all the rest. Of course, the DAC chip it should be (expected) the new ESS PRO chip, and maybe the dedicated ESS regulators for the new DAC power rails.
The 205 it could/should be indeed a step forward in Oppo players quality: native 4K for video, and for audio, the most performant DAC chip on market today: ESS9030Pro.
Let`s see if the inside quality components it will have indeed a real impact over the device outputs signals...

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The new coming UDP205.
As we can see (unfortunately) it still be there the headphone output. It seems such option it have a extremely low user demand. We may only hope Oppo have this time better configured the DAC chip outputs, so to not disadvantage the quality of the most used normal stereo outputs (as it was done in 105 models)...
Before launching the new UDP series it was some rumours out there about a OLED front panel display for these series. It seems Oppo had problems to implement a such display in these UDP players. At least for the very new produced models... An OLED front panel display it should be an improvement, not just because a nicer to look at display, but because the existent alphanumeric display it need a high voltage to function. This high voltage is obtained by a DC/DC switching mode converter (a small SMPS), placed into the front panel. This converter it include a HF transformer which it radiate enough EMI noises.
A OLED front panel display it will eliminate the use of a such HF noise generating source, just in the unshielded front of the disk driver. Well, this improvement it was not coming yet this time...

Attachments

• Blu-ray-UDP-205.png
    Blu-ray-UDP-205.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 2,929
Last edited:
I was able to pick up a UDP-203 from their initial production run and have been using it everyday since it arrived a few weeks ago. It has been fantastic so far. If upcoming firmware upgrades add streaming services like Netflix and Amazon it will be close to perfect.

I use my 203 heavily for SACD playback would love to take advantage of opportunities to upgrade it, especially with a linear power supply and an improved analog audio board.

There are some rumours about possible firmware bugs in 203 (sooner updates are expected). Did you noticed something like this? It seems such eventually bugs may affect the video stage of the player...

So far it's been really solid. I was reading through some of the initial reactions, and some people mentioned small issues, like having to re-seat their HDMi cables after first power-on, but I didn't run into that either.

I have watched two Blu-rays so far. I will make a point to watch more to see if I run into anything, and report back. Anther positive is that this model is successfully transmitting the DSD Bitstream directly over HDMI, rather than DSD over PCM like my BDP-103 did. That puts a huge smile on my face as I can now use the Oppo for everything, rather than keeping a second player for SACD.

Since that's the case, like I mentioned before, I'd really like to explore the potential of the player with power supply, clock, shielding, and possibly analog out if better DA converters were available. Right now I am using the ESS 9016S in my Pioneer Elite receiver, which sounds very good, but would definitely consider moving to a minimal hi-fi pre-amp with the 203 if it's analog outputs could be improved over what I have with the Elite.

See Linear power supply module for oppo 203 at my blog

Really nice work! Would the linear PSU module make a noticeable difference when sending a Bitream over HDMI, or would something like an improved clock be more important?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
203 use 27 Mhz clock for system and CPU.
Located beneath the pcb.

There is no other clock for HDMI1 processing.

I can find 25 MHz clock just beside of small ARM IC, which seems to
Control BD ROM drive.

Thanks Jae Hong Lee for informations. Very useful. In my opinion, the processor near BD driver it process/decode the 4k (and/or even all the rest of the other standards) data read it out from the driver. The 25Mhz clock it run this processor. I may say that the quality of this clock signal it could be quite important for the digital streams to be processed further by the main processor.
I would like to replace both (for sure resonators) components with oscillators of better quality (my particular clock board battery powered approach).

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
So far it's been really solid. I was reading through some of the initial reactions, and some people mentioned small issues, like having to re-seat their HDMi cables after first power-on, but I didn't run into that either.

I have watched two Blu-rays so far. I will make a point to watch more to see if I run into anything, and report back. Anther positive is that this model is successfully transmitting the DSD Bitstream directly over HDMI, rather than DSD over PCM like my BDP-103 did. That puts a huge smile on my face as I can now use the Oppo for everything, rather than keeping a second player for SACD.

Since that's the case, like I mentioned before, I'd really like to explore the potential of the player with power supply, clock, shielding, and possibly analog out if better DA converters were available. Right now I am using the ESS 9016S in my Pioneer Elite receiver, which sounds very good, but would definitely consider moving to a minimal hi-fi pre-amp with the 203 if it's analog outputs could be improved over what I have with the Elite.

Thanks jmyres for your report. Good to know this Oppo model it have native DSD over HDMI. Indeed, a important step forward.

Hereby are my improvement solutions, which it (mechanically) fit also for new Oppo UDP models.

Attachments

• LPM-Oppo 101b.jpg
    LPM-Oppo 101b.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 1,254
  • CLKboard.jpg
    CLKboard.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 1,202
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
As I can see in the picture published by Jae Hong Lee, the clock section of the main processor it use a resonator. Most likely the 25Mhz clock for BD driver decoder it use a similar component (resonator).
It could be nice if Jae Hong Lee can publish a close up for this section too...
However, I appreciate as necessary an clock system improvement for 203 model, beside the linear power supply.

Also it could be nice (and much appreciated) an confirmation about of the SMPS fixing holes disposition/distances for this 203 model. My assumption is that the fixing holes (bolts) disposition in 203 model is the same as for the former 101 model...

234F2C45587480BD0B72F8
2621BF45587480BE2F1AE5
[/IMG]
As I can see in the picture published by Jae Hong Lee, the clock section of the main processor it use a resonator. Most likely the 25Mhz clock for BD driver decoder it use a similar component (resonator).
It could be nice if Jae Hong Lee can publish a close up for this section too...
However, I appreciate as necessary an clock system improvement for 203 model, beside the linear power supply.

Also it could be nice (and much appreciated) an confirmation about of the SMPS fixing holes disposition/distances for this 203 model. My assumption is that the fixing holes (bolts) disposition in 203 model is the same as for the former 101 model...

147mm *91mm fixing hole distance

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Have you found yet if Oppo fixed some of the questionable design choices made in the earlier models, like the DAC allocation issue, or is the 203 essentially just a BDP-103 thats been upgraded for 4K video?

Well, this DAC output channels allocation design issue of Oppo for 105/105D models, it have to be confirmed (or not) when the 205 model it will come out.
There is here about the ESS9018 DAC chip.
The DAC section in 203 models is based on the cheap AKM 4458 DAC chip. Here is another architecture for DAC outputs, than it was/is for 105/105D models.
The issue do not apply for UDP 203 (BD 103, 103D, 101) models. Indeed, we can say so: the 203 model is an 4k upgrade of the former 103/103D models... The next coming Oppo UDP 205 model it will be an 4k upgrade for video and a DAC upgrade (new ESS90128/38Pro chip) for sound, of the former 105/105D models...

Last edited:
Indeed, we can say so: the 203 model is an 4k upgrade of the former 103/103D models...

Thanks for confirming that. Given the quality of the player, their pricing is reasonable, so it seems fair they've had to economize in some areas.

I was looking into an external DAC to eventually pair with the 203 over HDMI, but if Jae Hong Lee were to come out with a ES9038pro board for the 203, that would probably be an even better way to go.