Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

I have a 203 and would like to mod it. Is there a list of mods?

I'm using it the 203 in the bed room at the moment with a Rotel 1585 5ch amp and only using 2 channels. I have a Aleph 60w class A amp Im making that I will pair with it. The Aleph will double as a nice heater lol.

Same here, I have the Oppo UDP-203 EU model !
How does the Coris LPM compare to UDP-203/205 LPM SE from Oppomod as in components used and pricing.
Thanks.

Stock SMPS v "a" LPS
Load: 1KOhm
Scope shows 5mV per division

Attachments

• 20220130_112452.jpg
    20220130_112452.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 20220130_112131.jpg
    20220130_112131.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 221
It is normal...:) Well, 1kohm for testing is not just the right load. A reasonable load it should be at least for one Amp current on these power supplies outputs... Anyway, the noise difference between an SMPS and an LPS is quite big.
But have you noticed a definite change in sound in your modes between the SMPS and your LPS? Any measurable differences you've observed as in SINAD or THD+N or jitter, etc... Is the mod still available and if so, how much for US shipping?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, the improvement is significative for both picture and (digital or analogue) sound. The installing of an LPS it actually lower the overall noise level into the powered system. I have as well published previously a comparative of the original SMPS and my LPS. These posts are to be found in my threads (this one too). Well, extended measurements I have not done, as the improvement it is so obvious, that (in my opinion), it not justified the amount of work and time invested in detailed measurements. It should be noted that the LPS mounting is the first and most important step in improving the device performances. Also the clock system upgrade is important and it add an even higher improvement level. Another important upgrade for 103/203 models, it is the cooling of the chassis, which it was not designed so to ensure a lower working temperature for the components inside. Reducing the thermal caused noise, for some key components, it is also important for the video signal higher quality. Particular upgrades for the analogue audio section of 203, it improve even more the quality of the analogue audio outputs.
My all mods for Oppo players it still be available. For more details, please PM me.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You have a PM...:)

Either the original SMPS board or the LPS are not fully compatible in between 203 and 205 models. The original SMPS board for 203 and 205 it have the same design, but is populated different, accordingly to the model to be mounted into. My LPS is dedicated to one or another of the models.

Last edited:
Hello ,
I am new to the forum but as the owner of 95, 105 D and 205 I am interested in modifying the power supply of 205.
I use 205 to listen to music via XLR directly to Mark Levinson ML335.
For movies I use an array of 9 disks connected to OPPO 205 and the signal is fed to Yamaha RX-A3080 and .EPSON 9400.

I considered several types (- 3) of power supplies for 205.

To clarify that I have no technical knowledge about the operation of power supplies and electronics in general in the components (consumer and listener)

I will be grateful for any opinion.
Thanks in advance

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello ,
I am new to the forum but as the owner of 95, 105 D and 205 I am interested in modifying the power supply of 205.
I use 205 to listen to music via XLR directly to Mark Levinson ML335.
For movies I use an array of 9 disks connected to OPPO 205 and the signal is fed to Yamaha RX-A3080 and .EPSON 9400.

I considered several types (- 3) of power supplies for 205.

To clarify that I have no technical knowledge about the operation of power supplies and electronics in general in the components (consumer and listener)

I will be grateful for any opinion.
Thanks in advance
Please first watch the 205 dismounting video here:
For installing the LPS, the dismounting operations are shown in video between min. 0 to min. 7. Then these operations it have to be reversed (remounting) to make the device functional again. Mainly, replacing the original SMPS board with an LPS it not need special knowledge, but some technical skills to manage the dismounting/mounting operations. Else, please PM me for more details...

Please first watch the 205 dismounting video here:
For installing the LPS,

Thanks for the reply Coris,

My main focus is on 205.
At 95 and 105D I changed only the fuse and there is a positive difference in the sound compared to others with an unmoved fuse.

As a result, I decided to try to achieve by replacing the power supply with good sound and picture parameters at 205.

From the power supply proposals for 205, I found 4 different power supplies - the Netherlands - Clones Audio, England - Fidelity Audio, South Korea - oppomod and China Located in: shenzhen.
From the forum I learned that you have your development for 205.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes indeed, I have developed LPSes for all Oppo (Cambridge CXUHD) players models (external mounted for 95 model), for Panasonic UB9000, and Pioneer LX500.
My LPS it use an R core transformer (doubled shielded), which it best isolate against electrical noises coming from AC network, in include DC blocking filter and HF filtering cell on AC input, all diodes Schottky, special configured connection cable for minimising the noises induced into the DC line, extra HF filtering on the final DC connecting point, remote current control for main regulator, which it improve the regulation capabilities, very large filtering capacity, dedicated adjustable regulator for ventilation fan (for UB9000 temperature controlled), high quality DC end connector, etc. The last version of my LPS (Oppo and Panasonic) it also provide supplementary linear power line for circuitry inside the main board, replacing an small local SMPS planted on main board. This it lower even further the overall noise level into the digital system (modifications on main board it are necessary).