Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

Quick question from the unwashed:
Can I hook up my 205 to my TV and then to an AV receiver and also to a separate dedicated 2ch system? I want to listen to music DVDs and Netflix concerts through my Acoustat Monitor 3s with their own servo charge OTL monos. TIA

Your 205 likely has the highest sound quality stereo output of your various components - so I'd hook the 205 to the dedicated 2ch system. Or if you have a 5 or 7 channel amp, I'd hook that to the multichannel analog output of the Oppo.

You can drive your TV using HDMI out. And play back TV audio using HDMI ARC.

But if you send HDMI program material to TV (say from a streamer or AppleTV etc) then the HDMI signal will not pass from TV to Oppo or any other device connected to TV by HDMI - it's part of the content management / copyright protection regime of HDMI. So, if you have separate HDMI source, hook that up to the 205's HDMI input and not the TV.

In summary, use your Oppo as the digital and analog audio hub and play TV audio via ARC. You can even stream music from your PC etc via ethernet from across the house. Of course, it's also a great DAC with USB, optical and SPDIF input.

Finally, if you have an a high music quality AVR with HDMI input, you can use the Oppo's audio only HDMI Out to the AVR to enjoy the lowest jitter digital music stream.

Oppo 205 is quite amazing.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Your 205 likely has the highest sound quality stereo output of your various components - so I'd hook the 205 to the dedicated 2ch system. Or if you have a 5 or 7 channel amp, I'd hook that to the multichannel analog output of the Oppo.

You can drive your TV using HDMI out. And play back TV audio using HDMI ARC.

But if you send HDMI program material to TV (say from a streamer or AppleTV etc) then the HDMI signal will not pass from TV to Oppo or any other device connected to TV by HDMI - it's part of the content management / copyright protection regime of HDMI. So, if you have separate HDMI source, hook that up to the 205's HDMI input and not the TV.

In summary, use your Oppo as the digital and analog audio hub and play TV audio via ARC. You can even stream music from your PC etc via ethernet from across the house. Of course, it's also a great DAC with USB, optical and SPDIF input.

Finally, if you have an a high music quality AVR with HDMI input, you can use the Oppo's audio only HDMI Out to the AVR to enjoy the lowest jitter digital music stream.

Oppo 205 is quite amazing.
Thank you. I've had the 205 since they were available but never came around to using for anything but 2ch stereo with my Acoustats. So I've got the media player hooked into HDMI IN, HDMI 1 from TV to Oppo HDMI OUT, and HDMI 2 from TV to cable box. I have optical from cable box to Oppo, SAT RCA's from AVR to FR and FL on Oppo. Acoustats are still hooked up to dedicated 2ch on Oppo. So I can switch from media player (HDMI 1) to cable box(TV HDMI2) no problem. But I want to switch from dedicated 2ch(Acoustats) to the AVR which has HT towers hooked up. I don't want to have to use the Acoustats exclusively for both sources. How do I switch from one zone to the other? The Acoustats are self powered with the DD Servo charge OTL monos

Last edited:
... But I want to switch from dedicated 2ch(Acoustats) to the AVR which has HT towers hooked up. I don't want to have to use the Acoustats exclusively for both sources. How do I switch from one zone to the other? The Acoustats are self powered with the DD Servo charge OTL monos

Not sure I completely follow. But if you are trying to use the 205 to control output to 2 zones of speakers, I don't think you can.

Your AVR might be able to - thru a combination of HT bypass, pre-out and 2 zone function. You will need to check that. But in this AVR as hub config, you lose driving the Acoustats directly from the 205 unless you get up to unplug and plug some cables for heavy audiophile sessions.

The typical way to config 2 sets of speakers in the same room it to use the 205 as the audiophile hub driving the Stats; and use the AVR to drive the multichannel speakers. This loses the audio strength of the Oppo.

I gave up on using an AVR (after in home trials) because of the lower SQ that does, and settled using the Oppo 205 as hub driving my Maggie 1.7s via Parasound JC1 monoblocks and driving the rest of the surround spkrs via the Parasound A52 5-channel amp. And relegated my KEF LS/50 and Parasound Integrated to bedroom duty.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Not sure I completely follow. But if you are trying to use the 205 to control output to 2 zones of speakers, I don't think you can.

Your AVR might be able to - thru a combination of HT bypass, pre-out and 2 zone function. You will need to check that. But in this AVR as hub config, you lose driving the Acoustats directly from the 205 unless you get up to unplug and plug some cables for heavy audiophile sessions.

The typical way to config 2 sets of speakers in the same room it to use the 205 as the audiophile hub driving the Stats; and use the AVR to drive the multichannel speakers. This loses the audio strength of the Oppo.

I gave up on using an AVR (after in home trials) because of the lower SQ that does, and settled using the Oppo 205 as hub driving my Maggie 1.7s via Parasound JC1 monoblocks and driving the rest of the surround spkrs via the Parasound A52 5-channel amp. And relegated my KEF LS/50 and Parasound Integrated to bedroom duty.
The manual suggests that you can do this. However I realized I can simply leave the AVR as a stand alone hooked to the HT speakers with the optical from the cable box hooked up to the 205. That way I do have the option of either using the Acoustats or the AVR for TV. No need to control the amps in the AVR through the 205.

A better way for mounting the multi-channels XLR connectors, on the back panel of 205..

Hello there Mr. Coris,

I have a Parasound P7 Analogue Preamp with XLR out for Stereo and 7.1 MCH but only Stereo input for XLR. Is it possible to convert/mod the P7 to make true balanced in for 7.1 MCH? Actually I need only 5.1 input. Oppo will convert 7.1 to 5.1.

Also in your mod of the 205 to XLR MCH output is it true balanced circuit or conversion from unbalanced to balanced?

Please excuse if my ignorance as I am not Electronic Engineer/expert with any knowledge.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello there Mr. Coris,

I have a Parasound P7 Analogue Preamp with XLR out for Stereo and 7.1 MCH but only Stereo input for XLR. Is it possible to convert/mod the P7 to make true balanced in for 7.1 MCH? Actually I need only 5.1 input. Oppo will convert 7.1 to 5.1.

Also in your mod of the 205 to XLR MCH output is it true balanced circuit or conversion from unbalanced to balanced?

Please excuse if my ignorance as I am not Electronic Engineer/expert with any knowledge.

Hi manoharshetty9

My XLR mod for 205 multi-channel outputs it is a true balanced solution, based on fully balanced opamp OP1632. The output signals from multi-channel DAC, which are balanced, it goes straight forward to the XLR connectors, using OP1632 as buffers. All original circuits on multi-channel board are dismissed, and replaced by my output modules. Also the whole power system on multi-channel board is improved in this mod.

When about modding Parasound P7 RCA multi-channel inputs for balanced, I think it may be quite difficult, as the device it was designed so, with unbalanced inputs. I do not know in details how the multi-channel inputs on Parasound7 are designed, but a lack of available space it may be also a important issue, for implementing a such modification, in addition to the electronic design they used.
However, a good solution in my opinion (but quite expensive) it may be the Lundahl passive converter (XLR to RCA - LL1584-3FXPHM), which it provide a true balanced/unbalanced conversion through a audio Lundahl transformer. Well it may be necessary 5 or 7 such converters for all the multi-channels inputs. Even thought this solution may be enough expensive, it is a very elegant and practical one.

Hi manoharshetty9

My XLR mod for 205 multi-channel outputs it is a true balanced solution, based on fully balanced opamp OP1632. The output signals from multi-channel DAC, which are balanced, it goes straight forward to the XLR connectors, using OP1632 as buffers. All original circuits on multi-channel board are dismissed, and replaced by my output modules. Also the whole power system on multi-channel board is improved in this mod.

When about modding Parasound P7 RCA multi-channel inputs for balanced, I think it may be quite difficult, as the device it was designed so, with unbalanced inputs. I do not know in details how the multi-channel inputs on Parasound7 are designed, but a lack of available space it may be also a important issue, for implementing a such modification, in addition to the electronic design they used.
However, a good solution in my opinion (but quite expensive) it may be the Lundahl passive converter (XLR to RCA - LL1584-3FXPHM), which it provide a true balanced/unbalanced conversion through a audio Lundahl transformer. Well it may be necessary 5 or 7 such converters for all the multi-channels inputs. Even thought this solution may be enough expensive, it is a very elegant and practical one.

Thanks Coris for your response.

My Amplifier Parasound A51 is 5 Ch with XLR & RCA inputs. My Preamp P7 has XLR & RCA I/O for Stereo, MCH has XLR & RCA Outputs but only RCA for Input.

So in this case, for P7, is it OK to use Oppo RCA Output for Centre & Back L,R Channels and use Oppo XLR Stereo Out for FL & FR? Then I use P7 XLR Out for all Channels to A51 Amplifier. I have 5.1 Channels. In this scenario I don't need XLR MCH Mod for Oppo. Will this in theory work for Balanced sound?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
1. So in this case, for P7, is it OK to use Oppo RCA Output for Centre & Back L,R Channels and use Oppo XLR Stereo Out for FL & FR?

Then I use P7 XLR Out for all Channels to A51 Amplifier. I have 5.1 Channels. In this scenario I don't need XLR MCH Mod for Oppo.

2. Will this in theory work for Balanced sound?

1. Yes, you can configure it so, and you have better quality for front L/R. The stereo (DAC) output from Oppo is simultaneous with the Front L/R from multi-channel (DAC) outputs.

2. You can have balanced sound from a balanced output, or from a converted to balanced, unbalanced output. The best conversion is provided by a transformer (as mentioned in my above post).

My Amplifier Parasound A51 is 5 Ch with XLR & RCA inputs. My Preamp P7 has XLR & RCA I/O for Stereo, MCH has XLR & RCA Outputs but only RCA for Input.
Hi manoharshetty9 - I also have the A51 and the 205.
I drive the A51 directly using XLR dedicated stereo out for L/R, and RCA MCH out for the other channels. The A51 input is set to XLR and in this mode it also accepts RCA input signals.

You may wish to try this direct connection vs going thru the P7 and see which you prefer, especially when playing stereo music where sound quality is more critical.

I can understand you may want to keep the P7 if you have other analog sources, especially a turntable.

Denis

1. Yes, you can configure it so, and you have better quality for front L/R. The stereo (DAC) output from Oppo is simultaneous with the Front L/R from multi-channel (DAC) outputs.

2. You can have balanced sound from a balanced output, or from a converted to balanced, unbalanced output. The best conversion is provided by a transformer (as mentioned in my above post).

Thanks Coris.

Hi manoharshetty9 - I also have the A51 and the 205.
I drive the A51 directly using XLR dedicated stereo out for L/R, and RCA MCH out for the other channels. The A51 input is set to XLR and in this mode it also accepts RCA input signals.

You may wish to try this direct connection vs going thru the P7 and see which you prefer, especially when playing stereo music where sound quality is more critical.

I can understand you may want to keep the P7 if you have other analog sources, especially a turntable.

Denis

Hi dtossan,

In this scenario(XLR for L/R & RCA for Other Channels) will there not be lower sound from A51 for C, LB & RB as compared to FL/FR due to RCA low output?

Also are you sure of this Simultaneous connection of RCA & XLR? I was informed to connect any one of the format at a time.

I also have a question about A51 since you are using it. My A51 Audio Trigger On/Off does not turn on until volume is quite high(44 on P7) and turns off when hearing music at lower(35 on P7) volumes. I have the Audio Sensor Knob turned fully Anti Clock wise in this case. Have you tried this?

Thanks for your response

In this scenario(XLR for L/R & RCA for Other Channels) will there not be lower sound from A51 for C, LB & RB as compared to FL/FR due to RCA low output?
Also are you sure of this Simultaneous connection of RCA & XLR? I was informed to connect any one of the format at a time.

Yes, RCA input to the A51 will also play when A51 is set to XLR input mode. It's very easy for you to try it.

You balance the sound level at the 205 using the Test Tone in Audio Processing > Speaker Config setup.

I don't use audio trigger.

Oppo Sonica DAC/streamer modification

Although not a player in the usual sense, the Oppo Sonica is in fact a very capable streamer. Also, it shares most of its digital and analogue circuitry with the Oppo UDP-205 (in fact, it looks as if the 205 circuitry was based on the Sonica, which was released prior to the 205).

Originally, I was looking for a replacement for my JLTI modded Oppo 105, primarily to capitalise on the developments in DAC technology, and I was actually looking at the 205 (with mods). However, when I realised that the 205 had no apps at all and was not going to get any, I decided that this was not the way to go (I have no 4K equipment and do not plan to get any for now, so I don't need that feature).

Instead, I decided to keep my 105 and try it out with an external DAC. I subsequently tried some never DACs in the EUR 1500 range, connecting my 105 via coax. This enabled me to have both the 105 and the DACs I was testing connected to my system at the same time for easy comparison.

During the testing, it turned out that Joe's mods to the 105 did a really good job (I already knew that ;)), as I didn't really get any improvements. Some areas might be better on the DACs, while other were better on the 105, but there were no overall improvements.

Clearly, I was either going to pay a lot more for a DAC that would give me some real improvements - or do something else ...

Now, I have been following this thread since its inception, and it has become clear to me that Coris has a very good grip on modifying Oppo gear, so why not go with a Sonica DAC and get Coris to modify it along the same lines as his UDP-205 mods?

I contacted Coris to hear if he would be able to make modifications to a Sonica DAC, and his answer was 'yes'. I then started looking into how to get a Sonica DAC, which turned out not to be that easy, as this was just after Oppo had announced that they were pulling out of the audio market.

Furtunately, it turned that the local Oppo importer here in Denmark still had some left, so I managed to get one. After picking it up from the retailer, I went home and hooked it up to my system, connecting via coax to my 105 and tried it out to an impression on how it sounded before sending if off for modification. Again, the setup enabled me to compare directly to my 105.

The Oppo Sonica DAC is/was priced at around EUR 950, somewhat cheaper than the other stuff I tried, but overall there (again) wasn't much difference when comparing with my 105, but the Sonica was just as good. I tried out the 105/Sonica combination for a week or so, and then sent off the Sonica to Coris for modification.

Coris and I had agreed that this would be an all-out modification, involving PSU, digital and analogue stages. Since this was the first time Coris was going to do a Sonica modification, I had also told him that this was not a rush job - rather I would go for the right solution, if we ran into any issues.

We did - as it turned out that the PSU module that Coris had developed for the UDP players would not fit in the Sonica. However, Coris is serious about what he does, so instead of just creating a one-off solution for the PSU in my Sonica, he developed a new PSU board that can be used in both the players and the Sonica. And as far as I understand, the new PSU board even incorporates some improvements over the old one :)

During the whole process, Coris kept me updated on progress and even sent photos of various steps - great service!

After a few other minor setbacks (we had to wait for some components at one point), the day came when the Sonica was ready for final testing in Coris' system. Everything tested fine, and he actually told me that the modified Sonica was a notch better than his modified UDP-205!

Wow! Now I could hardly wait to get the Sonica back into my system! Fortunately, that happened not so long after, and I got everything hooked up the same as before and sat down to listen.

RIGHT - something had definitely happened since I listened to the stock Sonica!

There were overall improvements in clarity all across the board, improved top end extension and smoothness, improved low end extension and weight, and the already good space/soundstage was improved even further. And then there is an improvement that I do not really know how to describe, but let's call it 'plasticity'. It is the ability of the Sonica to show each performer standing out against the background and to describe the space around the performers. Obviously, this is most evident on good recordings, but on those, this ability can almost transform the recordings!

I have had my modified Sonica for around a month now, and I am thoroughly happy about the modifications done and how my Sonica sounds :)

Thank you to Coris for creating such wonderful music!

Cheers,

Jens

P.S. Coris - please chime in if any of the above is inaccurate!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Jens

First thank you for your appreciations and nice words.
I may note only that this post it should fit better into the Sonica dedicated thread (Oppo Sonica DAC).

A correction I have to make about my new developed linear PSU, you refer to in the post above. This LPS it is just dedicated to the Sonica DAC, and it is not compatible with the rest of Oppo products. For all Oppo players I have developed my dedicated LPS (PCB fitting all models, populated accordingly), while for Sonica DAC I have developed a completely new LPS, which it fit only for this device.

For eventually further discussions on Sonica, I will suggest the dedicated thread (link here above), while here we may continue about Oppo 203/205 players...:)

Hi Coris, I jump in this discussion long time ago before I go astray for studying FM Acoustics preamps, and I learned a lot from FM A. For coupling caps, FMA always connect matched (Nichicon VX/PW) as non-polarized caps (I order to cancel the magnetic filed generated by the inductance of elco caps) and parallel with (AV/Electel) 0.1uF MKT (FMA seldom uses MKP). And I found the sound very transparent and neutral.

How do you think to use this approach on audio coupling caps among your mod of 20X?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Steve

I use already non polarised caps, which in my opinion too, it are the only one which should be used for AC coupling (audio signals). And yes, a film cap should be also used, paralleling these non polarised (elco) caps. I have a such cap configuration I use in my mods (when I have to). However, the best it is without any AC coupling caps on the analogue outputs (when the DC offset is closer to zero volts)...
When such AC coupling caps it are already placed at the amplifier inputs (or a signal transformer as well), then these caps it are redundant on a device outputs, which is to be connected to that amp.

Last edited:
Hi Coris, I completely agree with your point. However, according to my limited knowledge with Nichicon MUSE BP (u might use other ones), the BP is much worse than two series connected Nichicon PW//(non-conductive) MPT (FM. A. never uses mkp in their pre and phono stages) on my FM255-2.

Coris upgraded LPM.

Analogue supported version (white) and non analogue/hdmi only supported version (green).

I upgraded the Iec to Russ Andrews kimber cable one. 20190226_165930.jpeg 20190226_155530.jpeg

Hi Coris,

Is it possible to completely remove the analog output board in the 203 by disconnecting at the power supply (analog output) and at the hdmi board (ribbon cable)?
Will hdmi inputs/outputs (and firmware) stay uneffected ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• oppoinside.jpg
    oppoinside.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Coris,

Is it possible to completely remove the analog output board in the 203 by disconnecting at the power supply (analog output) and at the hdmi board (ribbon cable)?
Will hdmi inputs/outputs (and firmware) stay uneffected ?

Thanks.

Hi

Yes, it is possible. No any of the device functionalities are affected by this operation.
Important is disconnecting the flat cable to the audio board as well (after disconnecting the power cable).