Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

DC Coupling

The DC offset on stereo output (as multi-channels as well) it may be under 10mV. As usual, it actually vary in between +/-5mV.

Hey Coris
For DC coupling, I should just short the output coupling ELNA 100uF, right?
Looks like there is a R100 (on either side of the output relay) in series with the coupling caps. It's safe to reduce this to say 10R, right?
Denis

Great, less than 10mv and I can bypass the caps !

Thanks

With this info, I opened my unit and measured directly on the OpAmp outputs (pins 1 & 7).
I had -1.1mv & +.9mv (just looking at stereo unbalanced).
I sorted out the 2 caps and still measured the same on the unbalanced RCA jacks after re-assembling the unit.

The guy who posts here and runs the Oppo Mod site should take note that the two larger 1000uF, 10v caps have nothing to do with the audio path.
Those caps are in parallel with the (-) connected to Analog Gnd and the (+) connected to chassis.
On the OppoMod site he shows replacing these 2 caps with Oscon/Wima caps.

I just may be lucky that the DC offset of the LM4562 is very good on my unit ?
I have not had a chance to check if this made any improvement to the sound...

Todd

Attachments

• UDP-205-internal.jpg
    UDP-205-internal.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 486
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hey Coris
For DC coupling, I should just short the output coupling ELNA 100uF, right?
Looks like there is a R100 (on either side of the output relay) in series with the coupling caps. It's safe to reduce this to say 10R, right?
Denis

Hi Denis

Yes, right. Just short the 100µ (AC coupling) caps. Yes, is much better reducing the 100R to 10 -20R.
Something else in this area: examine carefully the components right before the XLR/RCA connectors. You will see some diodes (signal path to ground). I am not very clear about the reasons the designers had when implementing these components. It may be a kind of ESD protection. The diodes are not just standard diodes, but a special kind of. I couldn`t note any sound differences with/without these diodes. Once (mechanically) removed, it cannot be replaced. Try it or not... A ferrite bead is also placed serial into the signal path. Best removing it.
There is also a 100k resistor (signal path to GND) just before mute relay contacts. Better removing it.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
With this info, I opened my unit and measured directly on the OpAmp outputs (pins 1 & 7).
I had -1.1mv & +.9mv (just looking at stereo unbalanced).
I sorted out the 2 caps and still measured the same on the unbalanced RCA jacks after re-assembling the unit.

The guy who posts here and runs the Oppo Mod site should take note that the two larger 1000uF, 10v caps have nothing to do with the audio path.
Those caps are in parallel with the (-) connected to Analog Gnd and the (+) connected to chassis.
On the OppoMod site he shows replacing these 2 caps with Oscon/Wima caps.

I just may be lucky that the DC offset of the LM4562 is very good on my unit ?
I have not had a chance to check if this made any improvement to the sound...

Todd

Yes, is very right about the two 1000µ caps you mentioned. I have also pointed out in my following post at that time, about the wrong information OppoMod have issued (the replacement of the mentioned caps). These caps should not be touched. Let it there as it are. It have indeed, nothing to do with the audio signals, but it are part of a power management circuit, and is very wrong replacing it, especially if (with) different values.

Filter Caps

Thanks Coris.
[Having already upgraded the +/-12V rails rectifiers, filter caps and regulators]
Do you think there is any value to upgrading or increasing the value of the 3300uF filter caps of the 6V rails (post rectifier), and the
1000uF filter caps post regulator of the +/-12V rails?

Sometimes I laugh at myself in this silly pursuit of good power.
Denis

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It is the linear power supply which it not go into standby, or the 203 device itself?
The power supply (SMPS or linear) are meant to be always on as long the player is connected to the wall. Only the player goes in standby. The PSU inside the Oppo players it have to provide always power to some circuits, which it wake up the device when power button is pressed.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It seems like a software (firmware) failure. The device it not go into standby at all, but (waiting for something) it freeze just before standby state. The red light it mean the processor it is in standby mode. The "OFF" displayed on front panel it mean the device it is going into standby mode (standby process is ongoing). In such process, the device it save settings/informations, check one or another for right result, it follow the power off sequence schedule for the digital circuits, and so on.
I suppose you cannot wake up the player again (power on) if in this fault state. It is the voltage of your linear power right (11-12v)?
If you succeed power on, then I will suggest a general reset to factory settings, then completely disconnect the device from power, reconnect it again after a while, and see what happen. Else, if this failure persist, contact Oppo for a board replacement, or something...
Mainly, replacing the SMPS with a linear PSU, may not affect whatsoever the player functionality, so that you should get a such failure.

Last edited:
Mods

Using Oppo 205 with USB DAC and Tidal, playing CDs, reg/MCh SACDs. No music files.
Will add new LPM. Do you recommend the Aluminium BD-Rom stabilizer?
Any other mods?
What's the best way to convert HDMI out to I2S if I want to use an external DAC? Less complicated to stick to Coax since I will play SACD 64 only?
Thank you.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
My new regulators for +/-12v rails on 105/205 (based on TPS7A)...

Please note that the bridges (all Schottky diodes) are installed as well, but on the board downside.

Attachments

• new regulators.jpg
    new regulators.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Denis

You see in my picture in the background, another two regulators. These are pre regulators for DAC power rails. The cap to be seen in the middle (foreground) is the rectifier bridge filtering cap, for one of the two pre regulators.
When about the sound improvements, after using these much better regulators (TPS) than the 317/337 family, I can say that is not very noticeable. This is because there are lot of other improvements after these first stage regulators. I use also ultra low noise regulators in my output module. So the quality of the power system is already very good. The improvements for outputted sound may be more obvious, if only this modification is done on an original board. These +/- 12v regulators are the only (main) ones on original board (except the ones dedicated to the DAC chip). The impact of this mod is bigger in such case.
However, it is only beneficial heaving better quality components in this analogue power system of the device.

Hi

some time ago I decided to give up my hi-fi hobby and go back to basics, left only the DALI Helicon 400 speakers and added an Onkyo RZ900 receiver, XTZ subwoofer and a LG OLED e7 TV.

Family wanted a CD / "DVD" player for the discs we have at home, i did not want to spend a fortune so I informed myself in this and few other forums (MANY thanks to everyone who posts), got curious and decided to go for a used oppo and "dare" modding.

I was lucky to find an almost new used 203, ordered a LPS from Coris and installed it just few hours ago.

The installation was plug and play, no-brainer; LPS looked very well designed, thought through and made with care.

And the result is amazing.

My daughter (22, plays piano since 5) and I listened to some music and it was noticeably better then before in every way. In one word - it felt more organic, fluid, "more substantial", real... We kept skipping through different music and turning up the volume - and it just kept making more fun - quite contrary to before...

But the real shock was when we played two old DVDs. I actually did not believe there will be any influence on the video / digital part, hoped for improvement in audio and we actually finished "the test", were about to switch everything off when i remembered reading that the LPS apparently influenced the quality of video also.

So just for the sake of completeness i played the disc that was in the player, the video we watched just few nights ago (probaly for the 100th time) - Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

And we were blown away. It was a completely new experience - both the picture quality and the soundtrack.... it probably is slightly exaggerated, but it was like watching it for the first time in the cinema. Huge difference.

Then i took the Matrix DVD - very old DVD, quality wise a disaster, love the movie but it was hard to watch few weeks ago when i got the oppo - picture was grainy, ... i do not known how to describe, "very poor picture", no details, no overall emotion - "flat" - both picture and acustics.

I am writing this during the first Morphous and Neo fight - this has nothing to do with the picture and sound i saw with the original oppo 203 - level of detail, involving soundtrack... simply super-cool.

as I said, I am, and I am not proud of it - just feel not knowledgeable enough for really substantial contributions, a reader and not a writer in forums but now i feel i have something worth sharing: the difference i see and hear after the upgrade with Coris LPS is huge and impressive.

I have only positive experience with Coris and his product and wish to thank him here for the great work - for me the chapter "CD / DVD / ..." player is closed, i will not search for an alternative as long as the oppo works...

i know that many hoped for details about "what exactly" changed - sorry guys, i do not know how to review equipment, how to analyse details, I lack adjectives and practice in writing... i knew i can only disappoint most of you but i am so impressed with the upgrade that i had to write something, even if it is just a long "thanks Coris".

i.

Yes Denis,
i am also glad i did it, it was a nice exercise - suspense & big surprise. I feel so childish being so excited ... and my post reads like a cheap commercial... but heck, i was surprised & and everything worked out great. i am very glad i did it this way.
Thanks also to you Denis, your knowledgeable and helpful answers (NB: few weeks ago, i wrote a personal note to Denis asking him for some details on modding 203s) made me feel comfortable and gave me the final kick... i owe you a beer when i come to Toronto next time!

Cheers

i.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
as I said, I am, and I am not proud of it - just feel not knowledgeable enough for really substantial contributions, a reader and not a writer in forums but now i feel i have something worth sharing: the difference i see and hear after the upgrade with Coris LPS is huge and impressive.

i know that many hoped for details about "what exactly" changed - sorry guys, i do not know how to review equipment, how to analyse details, I lack adjectives and practice in writing... i knew i can only disappoint most of you but i am so impressed with the upgrade that i had to write something, even if it is just a long "thanks Coris".

Thank you Igor for your appreciations and nice words. :)