Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications

Still loving my UDP-203 after nearly 2 years, and thinking about an upgrade or 2. I notice the Oppomod upgrades aren't hugely expensive, with $0 freight. Even though I've found a Power Supply on Ali Express a bit cheaper, by the time I add freight, Oppomod is not much more expensive, and I dare say a lot more trustworthy and maybe/probably better quality.

Thinking about trying/ordering the Aluminium BD-Rom Stabilizer, and the LPM SE maybe. Any reports of these upgrades or others on a 203/205? Happy for thoughts and advice here or via PM.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
After many years, I was in the last time able to finalise my headphone module for 205/105. This headphone output it was indeed a very low priority (for me), as this output is very seldom used by an 105/205 owner. The module it also fit in any application related to a headphone output. It is based on OPA1622, and the audio quality is over any expectation. Well, an ESS90xx is indeed an exceptional source to pair it with an OPA1622, for an high end quality for headphone use. Quite a surprise for myself to get a such good quality through this dedicated headphone amp chip. Working further no to improve my own whole headphone approach (cables, connectors, and maybe soon headphones itself...).

HeadphoneModule205_105.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Still loving my UDP-203 after nearly 2 years, and thinking about an upgrade or 2. I notice the Oppomod upgrades aren't hugely expensive, with $0 freight. Even though I've found a Power Supply on Ali Express a bit cheaper, by the time I add freight, Oppomod is not much more expensive, and I dare say a lot more trustworthy and maybe/probably better quality.

Thinking about trying/ordering the Aluminium BD-Rom Stabilizer, and the LPM SE maybe. Any reports of these upgrades or others on a 203/205? Happy for thoughts and advice here or via PM.

I have both the OppoMod LPSE and the BDRom Stabiliser fitted. The LPSU improves both picture and sound quality and is very easy to install. Oppomod use premium parts and I think the price is good all things considered.

I have only tried Blu-ray movie Discs since installing the BDROM Stabiliser and have noticed picture quality has been kicked up a couple of notches so I'm very happy with the result. I haven't tried music cds yet.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Coris are you still doing LPS for a 203? Happy to receive a PM regarding what you would recommend.
My listening/usage is CD/SACD and 4K Bluray via HDMI, but experimenting with the analogue 2 channel output from the Oppo as well.
PM sent... By the way, 203 it can provide very high audio quality on analogue outputs (after upgrades), especially on stereo (upgraded to balanced/XLR).

Does anyone have insight on quality / performance between playing a UHD disc vs a backup MKV/ISO over the network/USB?

Since the optical drive could be improved by adding the aluminum stabilizer, does that mean playing a backup MKV/ISO results in maximum possible quality?

I'm also looking at the MOFI-MOD power supplies on eBay and aliexpress. Are these considered knockoffs of the awesome products made by members here? Zero disrespect indented to the members here, but I'm just trying to minimize cost in this hobby and the MOFI-MOD power supplies seem interesting.

Does anyone have insight on quality / performance between playing a UHD disc vs a backup MKV/ISO over the network/USB?

This will depend solely on the quality of the DAC and streamer, which you'd use to play the MKV/ISO.

Since the optical drive could be improved by adding the aluminum stabilizer, does that mean playing a backup MKV/ISO results in maximum possible quality?

The stabilizer would change the sound to a certain extent. However, only a low noise, low impedance at a broad frequency spectrum range (into hundreds of kHz), linear power supplies and very low phase noise oscillators will bring a measurable difference (improvement) with digital audio... all other factors being kept the same...

I'm also looking at the MOFI-MOD power supplies on eBay and aliexpress. Are these considered knockoffs of the awesome products made by members here? Zero disrespect indented to the members here, but I'm just trying to minimize cost in this hobby and the MOFI-MOD power supplies seem interesting.

It is doubtful that you'll get the specifications/measurements from anyone who makes these liner power supplies... that being said, whenever you change the power supply (even the one that will cause worse measurement), you will definitely hear the difference... which you may perceive as a better sound. The perception of quality will depend on the rest of your equipment and your listening experience with other systems (HighEnd).

If I were to get a liner power supply, pre-made, I'd probably go with what's available here on this forum. Coris has spent a lot of time polishing his products; the comments are positive as well.

Post https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ns-upgrades-modifications.300692/post-7015938 shows how to get the best bang for the buck, especially with a 205 model (which already has a very good liner supply for everything except digital PCB / processing - the board located underneath of the top PCB)

@Coris, I have both the 203 and 205. I am unfamiliar with your upgrades to these units. I would appreciate information on all upgrades. I use the 205 for both music and UHD Blu-Ray disc playback, using multi-channel analog outputs for audio to take advantage of the ESS9038 Dac. I also recently purchased mono block amps which are connected to the 205 via XLR.

Thank you!

Oppo plays UHD BDMV files as a UHD disc and I haven't noticed any picture quality differences between USB file playback or via disc - although I haven't played the same file/disc to compare. I only use SSD as an attached drive. I should do a back to back comparison I guess.

The Mofi Mod power supply looks well designed so should perform well.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Gsabest, More details sent by PM.
@Coris, I have both the 203 and 205. I am unfamiliar with your upgrades to these units. I would appreciate information on all upgrades. I use the 205 for both music and UHD Blu-Ray disc playback, using multi-channel analog outputs for audio to take advantage of the ESS9038 Dac. I also recently purchased mono block amps which are connected to the 205 via XLR.

Thank you!
Hi Gsabest. More details sent by PM...