Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2019, 02:09 PM   #671
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yes indeed, there is beneficial upgrading all clocks on 205... The 25Mhz clock it run the decoding processor for optical drive. The disks reading and data processing quality it get then improved.
The first upgrading priority are 27/25Mhz clocks, then DAC clock. For DAC clock the most important is the power quality provided at the oscillator power pin. The oscillator in itself is good also as it is for its job.
Old 11th June 2019, 02:33 PM   #672
TLN75 is offline TLN75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
Yes indeed, there is beneficial upgrading all clocks on 205... The 25Mhz clock it run the decoding processor for optical drive. The disks reading and data processing quality it get then improved.
The first upgrading priority are 27/25Mhz clocks, then DAC clock. For DAC clock the most important is the power quality provided at the oscillator power pin. The oscillator in itself is good also as it is for its job.
OK, cause by a mistake the 25Mhz was removed as well on the Oppo 205 when upgrading the 27Mhz and the 100Mhz (DAC)

So need either to replace (insert the olde one) or get a new upgrade clock for the 25 Mhz since this has a positive effect as well.
Old 15th June 2019, 09:34 PM   #673
couchfungus is offline couchfungus  United States
diyAudio Member

In a previous post (#658) I described HF oscillations on the left channel of the stereo RCA outputs on my UDP-205, and on both channels of the headphone jack. I reported this to Oppo service and they told me to send the unit in for repair.

They replaced the stereo audio board. The service center included a sheet showing their measurements with the old and new boards. Both channels are now clean. Left channel HF noise was reduced by 5x.

Did the fix improve sound quality? Maybe a tiny bit more clarity, but I'm very hesitant to make judgments from listening tests separated by several days.

They did not eliminate the 45 MHz garbage on the headphone channels. It is now even higher in amplitude. Since I rarely use headphones, this is not a worry for me. But it adds credibility to the statements by Coris that this is a design flaw which can't be easily fixed.

Nice work by the service center. Good communications, quick turn-around, and they even included another one of the coveted Oppo-branded black cloth shopping bags.
Old 17th June 2019, 09:57 PM   #674
couchfungus is offline couchfungus  United States
diyAudio Member

After my UDP-205 was returned, I messaged Oppo's repair center, asking about the cause of the (unrepaired) HF oscillation on the UDP-205 headphone jack. FYI, here is the text of my message and their reply:

Quote:
Thanks for the quick turn-around. The HF oscillation on the left channel stereo RCA output is gone. But I also reported 45MHz oscillation on both channels of the headphone jack. This is still present, and with the replacement board, the amplitudes are actually greater than before, and larger than music signal levels. It's less of a concern for me, since I rarely use headphones. But I am curious about why it was not fixed. I read a report on the web from someone who thinks that this oscillation is a design flaw in the UDP-205, implying that it is present in all or most units. Can you reply to that? Since the unit is no longer being sold, there's really no reason for not being candid.
Quote:
We have heard of a similar report regarding the headphone output. The audio board was replaced on your unit, so if two audio boards are showing something similar, it is possibly hardware relate. Wish we had an answer for you, but unfortunately we have not heard back from the Factory Team when we initially inquired about it.
Draw your own conclusions.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modificationsHide this!Advertise here!