Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2019, 12:32 PM   #641
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr pink View Post
Thanks, Coris.

Anything you would change ?

Thanks.
I would change it with mine...
Well, an observation about full copper heatsink. It is true that the copper it better conduct both heat and electricity (than aluminium). When about using copper as heatsink (quite powerful power supply), one should note that copper it absorb quicker the heat, but it hold it in it longer as well. The aluminium heatsink (in same conditions) it absorb slowly the heat, but it transmit it faster to the environment (it not have the tendance to keep it)...
The conclusion here is that aluminium it will be preferable as heatsink than copper (copper is more expensive as well).

Last edited by Coris; 4th March 2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 5th March 2019, 11:27 AM   #642
diyAudio Member

Just for your information. This is how it looks like on scope, the original headphone stage on 205 (no audio signal)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scopeHP205.jpg (423.2 KB, 123 views)
Old 11th March 2019, 10:39 AM   #643
A5ian300zx is offline A5ian300zx
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
Just for your information. This is how it looks like on scope, the original headphone stage on 205 (no audio signal)...
Hi Coris,

Do you have those graphs for the oppo 203 standard psu vs your LPS?

Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 01:19 PM   #644
diyAudio Member

Here are some older graphs, comparing my LPS with original SMPS. The LPS it was improved since...
Please note that the LPS connected to the boards, it become more noisy. This is normal, and is caused by the very noisy digital stages, which it have impact over an "silent" LPS. However, the overall amount of noise in the system is much lower when the digital system is powered by a LPS.
To obtain a higher resolution for the graphs, it is better download it first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LPMvsSMPS.jpg (877.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg LPM rails while HD on USB and CD playback.jpg (479.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg LPM rails on CD playback.jpg (679.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg LPM in action.jpg (441.9 KB, 74 views)
Old 12th March 2019, 10:56 AM   #645
kevner1954 is offline kevner1954  United States
diyAudio Member

Where do I go to look at your products
Old 12th March 2019, 02:39 PM   #646
dmusoke is offline dmusoke
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What exactly are we looking at here? It's not good to present data to the public without context.
Old 12th March 2019, 06:33 PM   #647
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevner1954 View Post
Where do I go to look at your products
I have already replayed to you. Please contact me on the provided e-mail.
Old 12th March 2019, 06:53 PM   #648
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
What exactly are we looking at here? It's not good to present data to the public without context.
The graphs in the above post, are taken at the original headphone output of an 205, and at the TPA6120 outputs. TPA 6120 is used as the main chip for headphone stage on 105/205 (balanced to low impedance unbalanced converter).
As I mentioned before, and repeated in post 642, the headphone section of 205 it oscillate in Mhz range. These oscillations are not possible to impact the headphones connected to that output, and cannot be heard as well. In my opinion, it is not fortunate at all heving a such (enough large spectre) Mhz oscillator inside a audio/video device.
TPA6120 is well known as unstable if the PCB design is not carefully done. The design of the headphone section in 205, in conjunction with the attachement of a low impedance buffer after TPA6120, it make the whole circuit unstable, oscillating as pictured in my above post.
Oppo took some measures to minimise the level of the oscillations at the headphone connector, and this is to be seen in my graphs as well. The level of the oscillations is lower right on output.
However, the right measure here it should be remaking the PCB or circuit design so to not have these oscillations at all... Anyway, now the 205 it is not produced anymore, so nothing to be corrected by Oppo...

Last edited by Coris; 12th March 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:02 PM   #649
dmusoke is offline dmusoke
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The graphs in the above post, are taken at the original headphone output of an 205, and at the TPA6120 outputs. TPA 6120 is used as the main chip for headphone stage on 105/205 (balanced to low impedance unbalanced converter).
As I mentioned before, and repeated in post 642, the headphone section of 205 it oscillate in Mhz range. These oscillations are not possible to impact the headphones connected to that output, and cannot be heard as well. In my opinion, it is not fortunate at all heving a such (enough large spectre) Mhz oscillator inside a audio/video device.
TPA6120 is well known as unstable if the PCB design is not carefully done. The design of the headphone section in 205, in conjunction with the attachement of a low impedance buffer after TPA6120, it make the whole circuit unstable, oscillating as pictured in my above post.
Oppo took some measures to minimise the level of the oscillations at the headphone connector, and this is to be seen in my graphs as well. The level of the oscillations is lower right on output.
However, the right measure here it should be remaking the PCB or circuit design so to not have these oscillations at all... Anyway, now the 205 it is not produced anymore, so nothing to be corrected by Oppo...
Thank you, Coris. So are these are open circuit oscillations or are they under some typical headphone load (32ohm - 600ohm)?
Old 12th March 2019, 11:18 PM   #650
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Thank you, Coris. So are these are open circuit oscillations or are they under some typical headphone load (32ohm - 600ohm)?
Well, I measured it without a headphone connected. The most frequent situation is the use of the player without a headphone connected. So, while one use the device for its line outputs, the Mhz range oscillations are present. I think this is the main problem.
However, I will measure again with a load connected (when I will get the next stock 205).
I use the same TPA6120 in my output module, and I am not heaving such oscillations, no matter with/without load... I appreciate TPA6120 as a very good device.

Last edited by Coris; 12th March 2019 at 11:27 PM.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modificationsHide this!Advertise here!