Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2018, 10:56 PM   #611
jeanft is offline jeanft  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mods

Using Oppo 205 with USB DAC and Tidal, playing CDs, reg/MCh SACDs. No music files.
Will add new LPM. Do you recommend the Aluminium BD-Rom stabilizer?
Any other mods?
What's the best way to convert HDMI out to I2S if I want to use an external DAC? Less complicated to stick to Coax since I will play SACD 64 only?
Thank you.
Old 28th September 2018, 08:19 AM   #612
pdke999 is offline pdke999  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think this is the easiest way to go.

HDMI/MHL Dual-Mode Split Extraction Audio I2S/DSD/Optical Fiber/Coaxial | eBay
Old 28th November 2018, 02:21 PM   #613
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

My new regulators for +/-12v rails on 105/205 (based on TPS7A)...

Please note that the bridges (all Schottky diodes) are installed as well, but on the board downside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new regulators.jpg (118.9 KB, 348 views)

Last edited by Coris; 28th November 2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 28th November 2018, 04:45 PM   #614
dtossan is offline dtossan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default TPS7A super low noise regulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
My new regulators for +/-12v rails on 105/205 (based on TPS7A)...

Please note that the bridges (all Schottky diodes) are installed as well, but on the board downside.
Very nice Coris. What's that large center cap?
Would you say the improvement on sound quality is small, medium or largish?
Denis
Old 28th November 2018, 06:35 PM   #615
diyAudio Member

Hi Denis

You see in my picture in the background, another two regulators. These are pre regulators for DAC power rails. The cap to be seen in the middle (foreground) is the rectifier bridge filtering cap, for one of the two pre regulators.
When about the sound improvements, after using these much better regulators (TPS) than the 317/337 family, I can say that is not very noticeable. This is because there are lot of other improvements after these first stage regulators. I use also ultra low noise regulators in my output module. So the quality of the power system is already very good. The improvements for outputted sound may be more obvious, if only this modification is done on an original board. These +/- 12v regulators are the only (main) ones on original board (except the ones dedicated to the DAC chip). The impact of this mod is bigger in such case.
However, it is only beneficial heaving better quality components in this analogue power system of the device.
Old 15th December 2018, 05:41 PM   #616
BxB is offline BxB
diyAudio Member

Hi

some time ago I decided to give up my hi-fi hobby and go back to basics, left only the DALI Helicon 400 speakers and added an Onkyo RZ900 receiver, XTZ subwoofer and a LG OLED e7 TV.

Family wanted a CD / "DVD" player for the discs we have at home, i did not want to spend a fortune so I informed myself in this and few other forums (MANY thanks to everyone who posts), got curious and decided to go for a used oppo and "dare" modding.

I was lucky to find an almost new used 203, ordered a LPS from Coris and installed it just few hours ago.

The installation was plug and play, no-brainer; LPS looked very well designed, thought through and made with care.

And the result is amazing.

My daughter (22, plays piano since 5) and I listened to some music and it was noticeably better then before in every way. In one word - it felt more organic, fluid, "more substantial", real... We kept skipping through different music and turning up the volume - and it just kept making more fun - quite contrary to before...

But the real shock was when we played two old DVDs. I actually did not believe there will be any influence on the video / digital part, hoped for improvement in audio and we actually finished "the test", were about to switch everything off when i remembered reading that the LPS apparently influenced the quality of video also.

So just for the sake of completeness i played the disc that was in the player, the video we watched just few nights ago (probaly for the 100th time) - Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

And we were blown away. It was a completely new experience - both the picture quality and the soundtrack.... it probably is slightly exaggerated, but it was like watching it for the first time in the cinema. Huge difference.

Then i took the Matrix DVD - very old DVD, quality wise a disaster, love the movie but it was hard to watch few weeks ago when i got the oppo - picture was grainy, ... i do not known how to describe, "very poor picture", no details, no overall emotion - "flat" - both picture and acustics.

I am writing this during the first Morphous and Neo fight - this has nothing to do with the picture and sound i saw with the original oppo 203 - level of detail, involving soundtrack... simply super-cool.

as I said, I am, and I am not proud of it - just feel not knowledgeable enough for really substantial contributions, a reader and not a writer in forums but now i feel i have something worth sharing: the difference i see and hear after the upgrade with Coris LPS is huge and impressive.

I have only positive experience with Coris and his product and wish to thank him here for the great work - for me the chapter "CD / DVD / ..." player is closed, i will not search for an alternative as long as the oppo works...

i know that many hoped for details about "what exactly" changed - sorry guys, i do not know how to review equipment, how to analyse details, I lack adjectives and practice in writing... i knew i can only disappoint most of you but i am so impressed with the upgrade that i had to write something, even if it is just a long "thanks Coris".

i.
Old 15th December 2018, 06:41 PM   #617
dtossan is offline dtossan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxB View Post
And the result is amazing.
Igor, Glad you took the plunge and all turned out great.
Denis
Old 15th December 2018, 09:34 PM   #618
BxB is offline BxB
diyAudio Member

Yes Denis,
i am also glad i did it, it was a nice exercise - suspense & big surprise. I feel so childish being so excited ... and my post reads like a cheap commercial... but heck, i was surprised & and everything worked out great. i am very glad i did it this way.
Thanks also to you Denis, your knowledgeable and helpful answers (NB: few weeks ago, i wrote a personal note to Denis asking him for some details on modding 203s) made me feel comfortable and gave me the final kick... i owe you a beer when i come to Toronto next time!

Cheers

i.
Old 16th December 2018, 03:06 PM   #619
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxB View Post
as I said, I am, and I am not proud of it - just feel not knowledgeable enough for really substantial contributions, a reader and not a writer in forums but now i feel i have something worth sharing: the difference i see and hear after the upgrade with Coris LPS is huge and impressive.

i know that many hoped for details about "what exactly" changed - sorry guys, i do not know how to review equipment, how to analyse details, I lack adjectives and practice in writing... i knew i can only disappoint most of you but i am so impressed with the upgrade that i had to write something, even if it is just a long "thanks Coris".
Thank you Igor for your appreciations and nice words.
Old 26th December 2018, 03:54 PM   #620
Discopete is offline Discopete  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quick question from the unwashed:
Can I hook up my 205 to my TV and then to an AV receiver and also to a separate dedicated 2ch system? I want to listen to music DVDs and Netflix concerts through my Acoustat Monitor 3s with their own servo charge OTL monos. TIA

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modificationsHide this!Advertise here!