Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2018, 11:37 PM   #601
dtossan is offline dtossan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default DC Coupling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
The DC offset on stereo output (as multi-channels as well) it may be under 10mV. As usual, it actually vary in between +/-5mV.
Hey Coris
For DC coupling, I should just short the output coupling ELNA 100uF, right?
Looks like there is a R100 (on either side of the output relay) in series with the coupling caps. It's safe to reduce this to say 10R, right?
Denis
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:55 PM   #602
todd95008 is offline todd95008  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd95008 View Post
Great, less than 10mv and I can bypass the caps !

Thanks
With this info, I opened my unit and measured directly on the OpAmp outputs (pins 1 & 7).
I had -1.1mv & +.9mv (just looking at stereo unbalanced).
I sorted out the 2 caps and still measured the same on the unbalanced RCA jacks after re-assembling the unit.

The guy who posts here and runs the Oppo Mod site should take note that the two larger 1000uF, 10v caps have nothing to do with the audio path.
Those caps are in parallel with the (-) connected to Analog Gnd and the (+) connected to chassis.
On the OppoMod site he shows replacing these 2 caps with Oscon/Wima caps.

I just may be lucky that the DC offset of the LM4562 is very good on my unit ?
I have not had a chance to check if this made any improvement to the sound...

Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDP-205-internal.jpg (171.4 KB, 172 views)
Old 24th September 2018, 09:02 AM   #603
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtossan View Post
Hey Coris
For DC coupling, I should just short the output coupling ELNA 100uF, right?
Looks like there is a R100 (on either side of the output relay) in series with the coupling caps. It's safe to reduce this to say 10R, right?
Denis
Hi Denis

Yes, right. Just short the 100 (AC coupling) caps. Yes, is much better reducing the 100R to 10 -20R.
Something else in this area: examine carefully the components right before the XLR/RCA connectors. You will see some diodes (signal path to ground). I am not very clear about the reasons the designers had when implementing these components. It may be a kind of ESD protection. The diodes are not just standard diodes, but a special kind of. I couldn`t note any sound differences with/without these diodes. Once (mechanically) removed, it cannot be replaced. Try it or not... A ferrite bead is also placed serial into the signal path. Best removing it.
There is also a 100k resistor (signal path to GND) just before mute relay contacts. Better removing it.
Old 24th September 2018, 09:10 AM   #604
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd95008 View Post
With this info, I opened my unit and measured directly on the OpAmp outputs (pins 1 & 7).
I had -1.1mv & +.9mv (just looking at stereo unbalanced).
I sorted out the 2 caps and still measured the same on the unbalanced RCA jacks after re-assembling the unit.

The guy who posts here and runs the Oppo Mod site should take note that the two larger 1000uF, 10v caps have nothing to do with the audio path.
Those caps are in parallel with the (-) connected to Analog Gnd and the (+) connected to chassis.
On the OppoMod site he shows replacing these 2 caps with Oscon/Wima caps.

I just may be lucky that the DC offset of the LM4562 is very good on my unit ?
I have not had a chance to check if this made any improvement to the sound...

Todd
Yes, is very right about the two 1000 caps you mentioned. I have also pointed out in my following post at that time, about the wrong information OppoMod have issued (the replacement of the mentioned caps). These caps should not be touched. Let it there as it are. It have indeed, nothing to do with the audio signals, but it are part of a power management circuit, and is very wrong replacing it, especially if (with) different values.
Old 24th September 2018, 07:13 PM   #605
dtossan is offline dtossan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Filter Caps

Thanks Coris.
[Having already upgraded the +/-12V rails rectifiers, filter caps and regulators]
Do you think there is any value to upgrading or increasing the value of the 3300uF filter caps of the 6V rails (post rectifier), and the
1000uF filter caps post regulator of the +/-12V rails?

Sometimes I laugh at myself in this silly pursuit of good power.
Denis
Old 24th September 2018, 09:55 PM   #606
diyAudio Member

Yes, that post rectifier caps it should be at least 10000 (10v rated for 6v rail and 16v rated for 12v rails). Bigger value is better.
Old 26th September 2018, 04:47 AM   #607
pdke999 is offline pdke999  Australia
diyAudio Member

i have a linear power supply for the 203 and does not go into standby.
Has anyone been able to do this if so can they post schematics please.
Old 26th September 2018, 09:13 AM   #608
diyAudio Member

It is the linear power supply which it not go into standby, or the 203 device itself?
The power supply (SMPS or linear) are meant to be always on as long the player is connected to the wall. Only the player goes in standby. The PSU inside the Oppo players it have to provide always power to some circuits, which it wake up the device when power button is pressed.
Old 26th September 2018, 10:46 AM   #609
pdke999 is offline pdke999  Australia
diyAudio Member

Coris 203 when it goes to standby the display shows off but does not show the red led.

Peter
Old 26th September 2018, 11:21 AM   #610
diyAudio Member

It seems like a software (firmware) failure. The device it not go into standby at all, but (waiting for something) it freeze just before standby state. The red light it mean the processor it is in standby mode. The "OFF" displayed on front panel it mean the device it is going into standby mode (standby process is ongoing). In such process, the device it save settings/informations, check one or another for right result, it follow the power off sequence schedule for the digital circuits, and so on.
I suppose you cannot wake up the player again (power on) if in this fault state. It is the voltage of your linear power right (11-12v)?
If you succeed power on, then I will suggest a general reset to factory settings, then completely disconnect the device from power, reconnect it again after a while, and see what happen. Else, if this failure persist, contact Oppo for a board replacement, or something...
Mainly, replacing the SMPS with a linear PSU, may not affect whatsoever the player functionality, so that you should get a such failure.

Last edited by Coris; 26th September 2018 at 11:27 AM.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modificationsHide this!Advertise here!