Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modifications
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2018, 10:10 PM   #511
mdanielse is offline mdanielse  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the information.
I would like my 203 to be compatible with "all" amp/preamps in case I would sell it or buy a other one. So I will change the AC coupling caps for something better and add bypass film caps and hope for a small bit more improvement on the 7.1 analog output.

We will see..........(euhhhh....we will hear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
Best of all in this field is to just bypass the AC coupling caps with a wire, and use the outputs in DC coupling. As usual it should be there an few mV DC offset, which it should be tolerated by most amp/preamps. At least this is the easiest and cheapest solution. If your preamp/amp it may have coupling caps on its inputs (as most do), then is no reason having a redundant AC coupling into the signal path. A measurement of the DC offset, it should be necessary to confirm the low offset. Measure the DC level before the existing 100 caps.
If AC coupling should be chosen, then any bigger capacity non polarised caps it should be better than the original ones (bypassed with film caps, of course).
Accordingly by the book and calculation, these AC coupling caps for the frequency range of a audio signal, an 10 value, or so it should be enough. In fact, as bigger the coupling cap value, as better the sound quality in the low end of the spectre. This is hearable. Not all the time the results of (by the book) calculations it fit with the human perception...
However, in your case, if you can have a DC coupling in your chain, then is the best solution (without any caps).
Old 3rd June 2018, 03:02 PM   #512
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

My new version linear power supply (LPS) for Oppo players.
I have integrated the DC blocking filter on board (in an main AC filter compact module), and I have added a 3,3v regulator, which it provide linear power to an internal section inside main board (replacing one of the SMPSes). A modification on main bord is necessary for using the new LPS 3,3v rail. This rail it power a section responsible for optical drive data processing, as for HDMI audio dedicated output (205 model).
The heatsink surface it is extended as well. Some minor PCB design improvements in new version. This last LPS PCB version it perfectly fit for all Oppo models (accordingly populated, and configured).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newLPS.jpg (276.0 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by Coris; 3rd June 2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 3rd June 2018, 03:30 PM   #513
Ludvik is offline Ludvik  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
My new version linear power supply (LPS) for Oppo players.
I have integrated the DC blocking filter on board (in an main AC filter compact module), and I have added a 3,3v regulator, which it provide linear power to an internal section inside main board (replacing one of the SMPSes). A modification on main bord is necessary for using the new LPS 3,3v rail. This rail it power a section responsible for optical drive data processing, as for HDMI audio dedicated output (205 model).
The heatsink surface it is extended as well. Some minor PCB design improvements in new version. This last LPS PCB version it perfectly fit for all Oppo models (accordingly populated, and configured).
Nice! Is this the same modification you talked about in post 452, which had a very positiv effect regarding videoplayback ?
Old 3rd June 2018, 04:07 PM   #514
diyAudio Member

Yes, indeed.
Old 3rd June 2018, 10:09 PM   #515
dtossan is offline dtossan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Excellent - that's what I was waiting for.
Would you say power management was not big problem to add this regulator because not much power here, but that the fan is definitely necessary.
Old 3rd June 2018, 10:41 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

The power management in Oppo players is quite sophisticated, and a processor chip it do the job for entire device, including the analogue section as well. For example, all the small SMPS on main board are precisely controlled at power on and off events. There is not the amount of power, the factor which it determine the necessity for control, or not control, but the time sequencing requirements for the so the many different chips, their power input lines, their right time for be up or down, related to their functions into the system.
The added regulator in my last version LPS it is actually integrated into the designed power management, and it provide power which is on/of controlled by the power management controller. I have only exploited the original design, adding this linear power line. In this case and for that section inside the main board, it was possible so.
There is possible also analogue power for the entire digital stage (ideally), but then the power management it should be designed particularly for this purpose.
The main advantage of the local small power SMPSes, is their very fast response at on/off events. Not the case of a analogue PSU.

Last edited by Coris; 3rd June 2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 4th June 2018, 01:03 PM   #517
kevner1954 is offline kevner1954  United States
diyAudio Member

Found it ,has to be hooked to a tv to work, R.I.P. oppo!!! Ill keep mine
Old 9th June 2018, 04:23 PM   #518
motospark is offline motospark  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to motospark Send a message via AIM to motospark Send a message via MSN to motospark Send a message via Yahoo to motospark
Hi Coris, I'm thinking of upgrading the Elna 6800uf 35v Caps on the Analog board of 205 to Mundorf 22000uf 40v or 25v MLytic AGs and bypassing with a film cap. My question is ripple current Verses ESR.

The 40v version of the Mundorf has 8.5 Nominal ripple current IR at 105C and 100hz and an ESR value of 9ohm at 100hz.

The 25v version of the Mundorf has 5.4 NRC IR at 105C at 100hz and ESR of 14ohm.

The 63v has 11.2 NRC and 7ohm ESR. which I don't think will fit.

Can you tell me which would be more desirable to use in this area?

Thanks for your future response.

Moto.
Old 9th June 2018, 04:46 PM   #519
motospark is offline motospark  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to motospark Send a message via AIM to motospark Send a message via MSN to motospark Send a message via Yahoo to motospark
Coris, These are my MODs so far. Replaced the output caps with Silmic IIs 470uf 16v, replaced the 100ohm resistor with 10ohm Vishay Z-Foils, bypassed the Silmic IIs with Cornells for output coupling and later I will add another higher value probably 1 or 2uf Film cap as you suggested, just need to find a manageable size, and replaced the main diodes with Shottkys smp’s. Oh and my thanks to you for suggested the 470uf 16v Silmics and thanks to dtossan for the Cornell and Shottky SMP diode information.

Moto

Last edited by motospark; 9th June 2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 9th June 2018, 06:03 PM   #520
santodx5 is offline santodx5
diyAudio Member

Default Need help Urgent

Hi Guys,

I need help! Can someone help please? When replacing the clock in analog board (100mhz), I accidentally broke the solder point (red circle in photo). Where else can I connect to new clock ? Can I connect to R605 left side?

Thank you

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Oppo new UDP series players - 203/205 - Discussions, upgrades, modificationsHide this!Advertise here!