AudioMeca Keops - help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I hope somebody can help bringing my AudioMeca Keops back to life. The player was a joy for a number of years but as of yesterday the CD doesn't start spinning anymore.

The behavior is: with the CD on and the cover closed, when it's turned On the disc doesn't spin, showing all zeros on the display as if no CD is in.

I checked the spindle motor and it works. The tracking motor and the laser also work.
I opened the unit and visually checked all contacts and connections and they look fine.

The player has the same SANYO laser and the control board (4B10018600) as CEC TL-1 and few other players. I do have the schematics of the board if needed.

I bought the player direct from Pierre Lurne a number of years ago and spoke with him and his wife previously. Unfortunatelly, the company is out of business and I have no current contacts to reach out for suggestions.

Would someone have any suggestions on how to approach the problem? I'd hate to lose this very capable player.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion
I did check this first. It works.
This switch is actually turned On and Off while the lid closes. The same - when it's opened. So it generates a "pulse".
I assume that if the switch is untouched (off) and the CD is in, - with switching the power On the unit should simply start reading the CD. Unfortunately it's not happening.

Diy u measure with a dvm to see if the switch is actually
working. Yes it's suppose to activate the drive to spin &
read the TOC od the cd. I have a top loading cdp that
occasionally does not spin too but the micro switch is
working. Hence I suspect that there's bad connections
somewhere. Try unplugging & reinstalling the connectors
as well as the ribbon cables to see if it helps. At times
oxidation is at play

I did check the switch with dmv. Also, if I manually move the laser off the center and then activate the switch by closing the lid, the tracking motor brings the laser back. So I assume that the switch works.
I also think that it's like the contacts rather than the electronics. I did try to move all connectors but will remove, clean and put them back again, as you suggest. Will report if this resolves the issue.
Thanks for your help!

Ok. I cleaned and reconnected all connectors coming to the main PCB from Laser, Motors and Control board. No effect. The behavior didn't change.
- the Sled Motor works
- the Laser is trying to focus
- the Disc (Spindle) Motor doesn't move either on Power On or when Open/Close switch is activated.
I looked at the schematics. Both motors' control OAs are in the same chip (LA6510). I'd say it's unlikely that one is dead while the other works fine. Or not?
I've no clue where to look next.

...........the laser also work...............

Can I ask why you say this?

The Motors will not be told to start to spin unless the Laser provides a suitable signal to the Servo Control IC.
With the Door Closed Signal received and the Laser 'Home Base' switch closed (if it has one) the Laser should Light and attempt to Focus at least three times whereupon if a good Signal (S Curve. See page 27 here... http://www.ieeecss.org/CSM/library/2008/june08/11-June08ApplicationsOfControl.pdf ) is received the Servo IC will send a Signal to the Spindle Motor Drive IC to start the Motor.

Depending upon how old the Player is my first port of call would be the Laser. Some checks need to be made to verify it is indeed in good working order.

P.

By 'Laser works' I meant that I could see the red beam coming out and it also started focusing (moving up & down for couple of seconds and then stopped). I cannot say if it was able to focus or not, but I thought that it could only get focused if the disc was spinning (could be wrong).
The player is ~ 17 years old and it has the original Laser, which as I said was reading CDs until two days ago.

It's a very good article in the link and it will take time to read it. Thanks!

Can you tell what "checks" need to be done for the Laser? ... or I simply need to educate myself by reading the article first?
I appreciate your help.

The problem is fixed.

Percival007 pointed into the right direction. The problem was related to inability of the Laser to focus. After reading the article I decided to check the height of the disc plate (or the distance between the disc's surface and the laser). If found an old e-mail from Pierre Lurne suggesting that the plate height should be 15.65mm (!) from the base. In my case it was almost 1mm higher. Don't ask me how and why it was working before, but after adjusting the height everything came to norm.
I experimented with a 'man-made' test CD just to be sure the reading works fine, and it now does!

Thanks for all suggestions and willingness to help, which counts the most.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.