Philips CD350 not playing burned CDs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys. I've recently got a Philips CD350 and started playing with it. My initial idea was to mod it and see how good it can get, since i've seen quite a lot of projects that involve mods to that player. Most people think it sounds pretty nice.

But as I was listening to some of my CDs, i decided to try to play some of the CDs i've burnt myself (from FLACs mostly). I was surprised to find out, that it does not want to play almost ANY of these. Initially I thought it was due to the low quality of the CDs themselves, but I tried with quite a lot of different makes, including some Taiyo Yuden ones, with the same result. I compiled a list of the ones I tried so far, uploading the picture..
The ones that have red tick do get played, but it does not read them very well (sounds like it lags, or skips and songs closer to the end of the CD get worse). I am using Lite-on iHAS 24B burner; most modern CDs do not allow write speeds lower than x16, only one allowed me to go to x8. I thought that might be part of the problem.
I also considered the optics / mechanism could be somehow to blame, but every "original" CD i own is getting played without any problems whatsoever.

I'd appreciate some insight on the matter.

Thanks in advance
eEB1cct.png

It's most likely that the Philips isn't compatible with " burnt " discs. A lot of early cd players aren't . The Phillips was introduced circa 1985 and the first ( huge and expensive ) recordable equipment around 1990 with affordable home recorders in 1995 .

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can confirm, I had an early Philips player that would not play any CDroms or CDR. Even my mid 1990s Lambda Drive frequently refused to play CDs I burned on burners at 8X.. Nothing wrong with your CD350, it just was not designed to play these disks, things like contrast ratio, opacity, etc., are significantly different with burned disks as opposed to commercial disks which are stamped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_manufacturing

Note that for "newer" burners (i.e. any burner that can burn at >32x for CD-R) you can actually get worse burn quality when burning at lower speeds than at higher ones.

With DVD burners and newer, the burn strategies of each individual CD-R / DVD-R model is stored in the firmware. It is this that limits how fast and slow it will allow you to burn a particular disc.

From experience, the best burn results are achieved at the media's rated speed or one step lower.

Hello guys. I've recently got a Philips CD350 and started playing with it. My initial idea was to mod it and see how good it can get, since i've seen quite a lot of projects that involve mods to that player. Most people think it sounds pretty nice.

But as I was listening to some of my CDs, i decided to try to play some of the CDs i've burnt myself (from FLACs mostly). I was surprised to find out, that it does not want to play almost ANY of these. Initially I thought it was due to the low quality of the CDs themselves, but I tried with quite a lot of different makes, including some Taiyo Yuden ones, with the same result. I compiled a list of the ones I tried so far, uploading the picture..
The ones that have red tick do get played, but it does not read them very well (sounds like it lags, or skips and songs closer to the end of the CD get worse). I am using Lite-on iHAS 24B burner; most modern CDs do not allow write speeds lower than x16, only one allowed me to go to x8. I thought that might be part of the problem.
I also considered the optics / mechanism could be somehow to blame, but every "original" CD i own is getting played without any problems whatsoever.

I'd appreciate some insight on the matter.

Thanks in advance
what the guy above said i brought one of these when dire straits tour here in nz well actually the brohters in arms cd was on cd.
was discounted to 699.00 nz i think.
yes like early dvd plaayers wont play dvd + - recordable dvds.
my philips long gone broke . but replaced with tecnics sl-p990. back int he day think philips had 16 bit bur brown dac . technics went to 18 bit.
then went to 1 bit ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.