Anybody modded a Pioneer N-50A?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pioneer N-50A modification

I did, and it is worth it.
I upgraded caps and diodes.
It transformed into a world class DAC with the added benefit of internet radio.

Attachments

• Pioneer N-50A Modif.jpg
    Pioneer N-50A Modif.jpg
    668.2 KB · Views: 1,529
I did, and it is worth it.
I upgraded caps and diodes.
It transformed into a world class DAC with the added benefit of internet radio.
Hi!

Please could you be more specific about the diodes you used and the capacitors? I see elna silmics, nichicon muse and nichicon FW(?). I own the same player and although is has very airy and crisp highs, sometimes sounds a little edgy. My tda1541a player sounds more musical and smooth but lacks high frequency definition and pioneer's tight low frequency bass
What changes made this mod to the player?

Thanks in Advance,

Tasos

From the remote control press "Setup" and then choose "Display" - there are 3 brightness levels to choose from.

Thanks, but what's going on, is there is excessive white light spill at the edge of the LCD and the black background is washed out. I was wondering if there is a trimmer on the LCD ? I have an N-50K and and N50-A and the "A" backlight is not adjusted correctly. I've tried the dimmer on the remote and it doesn't fix it.

Sorry, cannot help you with that.
Have you checked the regulated power voltages?

No, I just bought this one and I don't want to void the warranty by opening it, nor do I want to return it for servicing, because it was the last one in stock, and I fear it will be lost or scratched or broken if I send it away. I also think it sounds spectacular as a transport, so nobody else is getting it. I will put up with the backlight until warranty is over, then I will open it. Thanks.

I was really just wondering if anyone who had opened one, had noticed if there was a trim pot for the backlight. It's no big deal.

No, I just bought this one and I don't want to void the warranty by opening it, nor do I want to return it for servicing, because it was the last one in stock, and I fear it will be lost or scratched or broken if I send it away.
I was really just wondering if anyone who had opened one, had noticed if there was a trim pot for the backlight. It's no big deal.

You could return it and try to swap it for N70 ;)

No, I have not noticed any trimpot there and cannot find any in the schematics either (you can find the service manual by internet search).

Thanks!

I went to check out prices on Amazon, wow, this unit is quite pricey. I don’t understand what it does over and above a raspberry pi for this price ??

That's easy to explain. It has low jitter clocks. A linear power supply and it sounds fantastic, and is a fantastic transport.
It's a taste of "high end" sound without the high end price.

The raspberry pi is an all purpose mini computer, and the Pioneer is a dedicated audio playing appliance, so it's designed and optimised to play audio.

Read some reviews on it, all reviews say nice things.

So, you probably wonder why so many nice things said about the pi, and so little about the Pioneer. The answer is the price. Anyone can buy a pi for $50 and post a comment online. Not everyone can afford a Pioneer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.