Bluetooth --> DSP --> Amplifier. Best way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

right now I am designing two boards for a mobile audio box. One carrier board for power supply (Step-up powered by 2x18650 LiIon Batteries with balancer and charger IC or a laptop battery charger) and one board with bluetooth module, mikrocontroller (conrols charging, bettery level, muting and so on) and amplifier.

Right now I am finished with the layout, but to add additional possibilities (one tweeter and one woofer, two fullrange loudspeaker, use it as an amp for stationary loutspeaker...) I am thinking about adding a DSP like the ADAU1702.
The problem here is, that I haven't found a cheap (or easy) solution with digital out. It seems that the cheap modules from ebay with the CSR8645 have principally the possibility, but there is a software on the ROM which doesn't allow I2S output.
The second solution would be to use the analog way. Cheap bluetooth module with differential DAC output --> use only one line since ADAU1702 has only single ended ADC inputs --> analog input of TPA3116.

Is it worth to buy a more expensive bluetooth receiver (or is there a cheap solution?) with digital out, or would you stick with the "analog" way?
I am not planning to build highend speakers, I just want to try different chassis in different boxes and present friends on birthday with one. To avoid passive filters after the amp I really would like to have a DSP on board.

Any suggestions?
All the best!

I think aptX decoding is a must-have BT audio feature, so you might end up having to go with a more expensive solution anyway.

You might consider one of the Bluegiga modules from Silicon Labs or look into offerings from Microchip, both of which are available through Mouser. I have yet to work with either, so take the above for what it's worth.

Hi, thanks for your reply :)

I spent the last few days with researching. I think I found the best solution for me.
I found only three bluetooth modules with I2S and APT-X support.
I couldn't find much about the BC127 so I won't take it.
The WT32i is directly buyable with and without APT-X (~6€ more) but doesn't give out the masterclock.
RN-52 seems to be the only module which is common in some open source projects and produces masterclock. Unfortunately it is not possible to buy it somewhere already with APT-X license installed.
Besides the RN-52 I will go for an ADAU1702 as Audio DSP. With the freeDSP adapter (20€) I can directly use the Analog Devices SigmaStudio software for live configuration or boot from a small EEPROM. It additionaly provides an ADC I can use for line-in (and an additional I2S input for an additional external input).
I just have to put an analog switch for the clock in front of the mclk-in and I can shut the bluetooth module down while feeding the DSP per external device.
As amplifier I will use two TAS5751M. With the DSP I can easily configure them as 2.1 , 1.1 or 2.0 system.
I will give feedback as soon as the project makes progress.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.