Sony PS-HX500 - Turntable with High-Resolution recording

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,I have recently purchased this unit,Initial thoughts on opening the box ,was O dear what have I bought ,The platter is thin and very light and the whole thing is pretty unimpressive compared to the hi end battle ship build turntables you can get,The rubber mat is nice and thick though.
It comes with a cartridge already set up just a stylus cover to remove and you also need to fit the platter and belt.
In the past 1980s-90 I owned loads of turntables in my then setup,which are now fetching silly money and all of them without exception were plagued with problems,such as rumble from the idler drive wheels finding its way into the audio path causing the bass cone to flap about , but by far the biggest problem was feed back from the bass units to the turntable starting with a low hum leading to a quick sprint to the amp to turn it down before the bass speakers self destructed, I tried an myriad of different techniques to stop this but never truly got rid of it certain lps would hit the note and they would start the feedback.
Anyway back to the Sony deck,Its has no discernible rumble, It has not show any sign of feeding back despite being sighted within four feet of the loudspeakers and not on any sort of special shelf just a substantial unit sitting on the same floorboards as he speakers,When the lid is shut there is no audible thump.
The unit has a built in phono stage which was another reason for my purchase, It just cuts down on the variables as does the supplied and setup cartridge.I have in the past spent hours and hours swapping out cartridges trying different tracking weights,I tried and still own ,Ortofon,Shure,ADC, Nagoka cartridges ,whilst this entertained me at the time it cost a fortune.
The Sony sounds great and I am enjoying my vinyl collection again.
I haven't tried the software too busy listening to my records

Hi about rumble filter ,I cannot comment about the circuit Sony employ as I haven't got the schematic,but I cannot hear any drop off in bass response.
Subsonic is Supposedly inaudible anyway I believe its more a feeling.
Bass cones Flapping around really is a waste of an amplifiers power and can cause problems with the rest of the sound due to the loads this puts on the Power supply etc.
Especially if your using a Regular Passive Loudspeaker where one amplifier per channel is driving all the speaker drive units.
The bass unit flapping will heat up the voice coil in the Bass unit causing changing its basic DC resistance which will effect the sound level output from the Bass unit( I believe the term for this is compression) and worse than that in a system with a passive crossover the current from your amplifier has got to go somewhere and the Midrange and tweeter will be a more attractive to that current increasing their output level to some extent.
In short a subsonic filter if fitted to the Sony is probably in my opinion a good thing .

I have done back to back listening with one particular Album that I have on both original LP and CD, i.e. not "Digitally Remastered" which was all the rage a few years back ( The CD was converted to full Res Wav using EAC a few years back) and the LP has much more bass information and generally sounds better to me Now thats not to say the recordings are the same.
I can remember when CDs first arrived ,I am almost convinced now that many CD releases of original LPs were hopped up to provide more ,punch,slam,dynamics or what ever you want to call it,and therefore cannot really be compared in this way.

Good god I can waffle on ,at least your not sitting in front of me glazing over.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.