MQA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Once the analogue stream, at its source, is sampled in time to create a digital representation, the harm is done that can not be corrected any more, no matter the measures undertaken later in a digital audio reproduction chain. Measurements tell us it's all good & perfect; our ears tell a different story altogether.

Many people are finally giving up on digital reproduction (after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to get to a point where they are going to enjoy the music in the same way they enjoyed analogue turntable), and going back to reel-to-reel / turntables..... reel-to-reel is the latest buzzzz

But they are in a tiny tiny tiny minority. Most people are moving to digital streaming. Watch people spend more and more on DACs and digital connectivity and simplification of their set-ups to match.

MQA folk claim MQA can correct it because of digital theory and maths. You'll have to look up (again - I guess it was covered years ago in this thread) how they say it can be done and then work out where there are wrong. I for one would be very interested to read your findings - because I find the ideas behind it interesting. I'm more interested in the technical details than I am if it works to be honest (I have no need for MQA myself).

Last edited:
It would be much more interesting to see a thread that systematically and logically, with evidence pulls MQA apart.

Is MQA DOA? - Benchmark Media Systems

Sorry for the strong words but the MQA folks, blow off Q&A sessions and don't participate in careful comparative listening sessions (AFAIK), i.e. they don't act like 100% honest players.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure they are heavily biased and stuck in their own worlds..

Imagine taking a project so far and involving so much money, time and other people's time and money to find that it wasnt worth it. That is fine on a personal level but on a commercial one, it's death to your career and reputation.

I feel sorry for commercial R&D folks!

For sure I personally don't hear any difference for recordings better than 24/96. In comparison, I do begin to hear a slight hardness to 44.1/16 ... but then that could be the process used to downsample or the implementation of conversion on a 24/96 optomised DAC. Too many variables, despite finding a sonic difference

Last edited:
What is this ?...
732338d1548715959-mqa-a2569d15-0a41-4a58-b2df-ef4b0e546406-jpg

I love the "Limited Edition" claim. On a CD that they could stamp out for pennies like any other CD. I suspect that the only reason it would be "limited" would be if they didn't expect to sell very many.

No longer being maintained… ALAC is a tweaked version. With the size/cost of drives these days just store full-rez AIFF (or WAV — the same except otherEndian and WAV does not have embedded metadata.

dave

I’m not sure it needs to be maintained very much. Plus, any random person can do it since it’s open source.

FLAC and ALAC are also lossless, smaller, and more widespread than the AIFF container (maybe).

The size is still an issue for mobile devices or players. I don’t think my entire collection would fit on my phone (256GB) in raw PCM.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FLAC is, i believe, not necessarily lossless. When space is limited using a non-lossy compressed format can alow more songs, but the decompression can cause power supply pertabations that reduce device quality — why the best players suck the entire song into RAM before playing so that there are few if any changing loads on the PS.

And how much music can you listen too? I could easily fit all the music i would ever need for a trip into a 1/4 TB. I just load AIFF onto my iPod or iPhone.

dave

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It would be much more interesting to see a thread that systematically and logically, with evidence pulls MQA apart.

Archimago's Musings: MQA Core vs. Hi-Res Blind Test Part I: Procedure

Dont miss (hard!) his list of articles in the above link...

- Initial musings...
- The undecoded MQA file.
- Decoded vs. undecoded Explorer2 output.
- Dicussions of MQA's partially lossy nature.
- Comparison of TIDAL / MQA Decoding with "studio master" tracks.
- Mytek Brooklyn hardware MQA decoding.
- Discussion of digital filters and relevance to MQA.
- Comparison between Meridian Explorer2 vs. Mytek Brooklyn ("Authentication?").
- Dragonfly Black MQA "Rendering" and filter.
- Mytek Brooklyn MQA filters.
- The "full monty" of MQA filters from the Dragonfly Black MQA-enabled DAC.

and so forth...

//

Lossless is lossless.. "power supply pertabations" and other pseudoscience nonsense doesn't enter into it. Any glitches or interruptions to the PCM stream are very very noticable, jitter (which is real, but still very difficult to notice) is handled by the DAC.

Anything beyond jitter is entirely in the analog domain

All that being said, MQA is just a digital rights grab, most likely heavily sponsored, and marketed with pseudoscience, because that's the only chance they would have of popularizing it

FLAC is lossless.. if you want to test a digital chain for consistency, play a DTS encoded wav file through it, to a SPDIF input on a surround sound receiver - if the stream is consistent, it will be decoded in DTS, otherwise it will come through as static

edit: sorry if this all comes out as a grumpy old man rant... i need more coffee

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Agree on all accounts. Except the coffee issue :)

//

Lossless is lossless.. "power supply pertabations" and other pseudoscience nonsense doesn't enter into it. Any glitches or interruptions to the PCM stream are very very noticable, jitter (which is real, but still very difficult to notice) is handled by the DAC.

Anything beyond jitter is entirely in the analog domain

All that being said, MQA is just a digital rights grab, most likely heavily sponsored, and marketed with pseudoscience, because that's the only chance they would have of popularizing it

FLAC is lossless.. if you want to test a digital chain for consistency, play a DTS encoded wav file through it, to a SPDIF input on a surround sound receiver - if the stream is consistent, it will be decoded in DTS, otherwise it will come through as static

edit: sorry if this all comes out as a grumpy old man rant... i need more coffee

Then again I don't buy into the CPU load affects playback quality unless its so high that drop outs occur.

I used to claim exactly what you are claiming, until I heard audible differences between different settings of the length of Foobar's buffer. On the same PC of course.

Then I heard audible differences between different RPi distributions.

After that I heard considerable difference between using a PC vs. a Squeezebox Touch as a USB transport.

Then there are the very audible differences between using different quality power supplies to the same RPi, used as a USB transport.

The pinnacle of insanity was when I heard audible differences between different CAT6 cables linking the USB transport to the NAS. Granted, it was not a huge difference and the rest of the system was very revealing (plus 6-figures in cost), but it was there.

All of the above are in fact bit-perfect playback devices. But they all have (very) different noise signatures.

Huh?

dave

Selective quoting isn't doing you any favors, Dave. My rather old comment was making mockery of Meridian's effort to duplicate Apple's successes.

To refresh your memory, Apple has a long history of locking users into their proprietary systems. Some times that's to ensure a smooth closed system, but a lot of times it's pretty user-antagonistic and anticompetitive.

E.g., Apple Lossless - Wikipedia

It was a locked codec for a number of years.

As far as your assertions about flac not being lossless or or somehow causing some bizarre computational-based contamination, please bring data as you're pretty far in left field about implications that would have on all kinds of software.

Again, flac, bit-equivalent, is smaller and lossless. MQA lacks merit on the users part.

Last edited:
FLAC is, i believe, not necessarily lossless. When space is limited using a non-lossy compressed format can alow more songs, but the decompression can cause power supply pertabations that reduce device quality — why the best players suck the entire song into RAM before playing so that there are few if any changing loads on the PS.

And how much music can you listen too? I could easily fit all the music i would ever need for a trip into a 1/4 TB. I just load AIFF onto my iPod or iPhone.

dave

I think it’s always lossless... I mean, it’s in the name.

I’m not sure I buy into decoding modulating the rails of a decent device either but I understand.

I don’t need that much music but I like to keep it from taking half the device’s storage.

MQA fails on all points for me. It’s a lossy codec with pseudoscience driven adaptive reconstruction filtering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.