Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

MQA
MQA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2016, 06:28 PM   #21
easp is offline easp
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Some comments on MQA by Jim Lesurf can be found here.
Thanks for the link.

If I understand correctly, one take away is that the design of MQA embodies the the assumption that that the extra HF information is actually of only marginal usefulness, given its share of the bit-budget, and also that 13-bit samples are good enough for the 0-48KHz that have been the foundation of consumer hi-fi digital audio.
Old 20th August 2016, 11:43 PM   #22
Joachim Gerhard is offline Joachim Gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wxRGiBoJg
Old 6th September 2016, 02:29 AM   #23
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Everyone,

As you all know, Schiit, Benchmark and PS Audio have all weighed in on MQA.

I actually have an MQA capable DAC (Mytek Brooklyn) and listening via AKG K721 headphones heard it and have no evidence at all it does anything better. I have a thread going in Audiogon under the Music section.

There are some test files available from 2L.no/hires/ and after listening to 3 different tracks and comparing redbook, 96/24, DSD and MQA I cannot hear a damn thing better with MQA. What I do hear are different mixes, but this temporal debluring they are talking about I do not.

If anyone has a FREE track or tracks they feel are good exemplars please let me know.

Part of the challenge of evaluating MQA is that to do it right you need to remix. As soon as you do that, you are probably going to have to re-think a lot and won't get it right. Another part of this is that the 2L recordings I've heard are just not that good. Bright, congested treble, or ham-fisted level changes do not leave me impressed.

Best,

Erik
Old 6th September 2016, 02:41 AM   #24
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

easp

I would word it a little differently, but you have it. It's also, according to Benchmark's post, lossy.

If you think of which notes get the most data per cycle, it's bass. A 44 Hz cycle will have about 1,000 samples, but a 4.4 kHz cycle only 10, and so on. So the idea of altering the encoding to better match the signals makes some sense to me. It's a bit like thinking of MPEG. If you know how the data is organized you can come up with more clever solutions. The other thing is, bass is where the bits are. Bass soaks up all the bits, but treble doesn't have the dynamic range at all.

However, based on Benchmark's take, it's more complicated than that, and the result will be lossy. Based on my listening, there's no audible benefit. If anything, I seem to like DSD more.

Best,

Erik

Last edited by eriksquires; 6th September 2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 6th January 2017, 11:20 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Since tonight i have finally MQA on Tidal. I will listen today.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:44 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I listened. I use a HP Pavilion g7 with Googe Chrome. The DA converter is a Musical Fidelity VDAC 2, heavy modified over USB. The sound i get is very good. It is too early to tell if this is better than CD quality but it is certainly not worse.
Over my own monitor speakers the sound is open and spacious.
There are limitations : at this moment MQA only works on desc top computers with Google Chrome. I could not get it working on my iPad. The choice of music is still sparse.
I only found around 10 titles that i like. I hope Tidal does not make the mistake and limits the amount of music too much. I think that killed DSD and HiRes PCM more than anything else.
Old 6th January 2017, 07:55 PM   #27
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

MQA
But the V-DAC2 isn't MQA compliant?
Old 6th January 2017, 08:11 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Good question. I asume not. It is really too early to talk about the sound. The result though that i get under my circumstances is good subjectively. I know, that means nothing.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:55 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I found some answers here : MQA Reviewed | AudioStream
Old 6th January 2017, 11:34 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I will try to get me this one :
Meridian Explorer2 D/A headphone amplifier | Stereophile.com

MQAHide this!Advertise here!