Sony X33ES Sound Distortion Left Channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Sony X33ES that's left channel has gotten a bit distorted, or staticy. My initial thought that it a cabling issue, or external interference, but have found that not to be the case. I have also plunged in my headphones and the distortion is there too. Any ideas on what would cause this issue. Thanks in advance.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sorry for the necroposting, but I am experiencing the same issue - left channel is distorted while CD is played. That happens only on analog output as well as headphones, and also distortion disappears after some time. Visual inspection shows no leakage of any capacitors on the main board. What else may it be?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It is near impossible to second guess a fault like this, you must do basic tests and measurements using a scope. Doing so will tell you in seconds whether the fault is before the analogue stages or not.

If you have no test equipment then you could perhaps cross couple the channels at the DAC outputs to see if the fault remained on the same channel (so an analogue stage fault) or whether it swapped over signifying a DAC or earlier issue.

If the distortion disappears after a while then I would definitely try judicious use of freezer spray on the appropriate areas. An air duster can inverted works well as freezer but you must practice dispensing it drop by drop and not just blast a whole area.

Muting circuits if using bjt transistors can occasional do weird things and these are easy to isolate. Unlikely but worth mentioning.

Hi. The distortion is due to leakage of Elna Duorex II capacitors. You have to remove all, clean the board, check the printed circuit, and put new capacitors.
It worth to repair it. It's a good cd player. A bit of vaseline in the laser pickup rails is recomend, but only a bit.
It's recommend to remove the memory bakcup capacitor, Nichicon 47mF 5,5V when you clean and manipulate the printed board, for to avoid any problem in the logic circuits. At the end you put this memory capacitor again in the printed circuit.

Here a link:

Sony CDP-X33ES & KSS-271A - Google Photos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.