Technics SL-P990 disc wont spin unless i help it ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I bought a second Technics SL-P990 yesterday, unlike mine it didnt spin on start up, mine is very slow to spin once the disk it loaded.

So with the 2nd P990 i manually spun the disc upon inserting and manually spun it to load the disc, once this is done it tracks and plays perfectly

? whatever spins the disc could be the problem?:confused:

These are sealed Motors and are easily damaged if an attempt is made to open them.

They are becoming as scarce as the Lasers, especially on Technics units.
I have resorted to buying a complete Mech before now..............

CD / DVD Laser Pick Ups | CPC UK (some here)

The Laser won't be needed but the Motor may be OK.
**Be aware though that the Shaft Length may not be right**
Sometimes the top of the shaft is required to locate into a corresponding hole in the Clamper to make sure it spins upon the correct axis. Too short a shaft and this won't happen.
If the Clamper isn't designed like this then too long a shaft and this will foul the Clamper.

Good luck.

Percival,
Thank you for the reply and link, and help

Jon,
Thankyou for the reply and help saving me cleaning the motor, which I am not sure how to access atm.

some caps on the pcb, though they look fine, 45uf 25v bipolars

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

SMNLP320-KM loading motor
SOAD60A-1 - laser pick up

Panasonic SLP1000
Panasonic SLP120
Panasonic SLP217
Panasonic SLP218
Panasonic SLP220
Panasonic SLP320
Panasonic SLP350
Panasonic SLP550
Panasonic SLP770
Panasonic SLP990

SJGDRF310T is the motor for my P350 i think so maybe i cant use it

Wow, not the type of Motor I thought it was, apologies.

I very much doubt there's anything wrong with this Motor apart from maybe dried/hardened grease/oil.

When you said you ''........ manually spun the disc........''. You weren't parhaps applying any downward pressure on the Disc causing it to become ever so slightly closer to the Laser?
Now I've seen the type of Motor I am iclined to look elsewhere for a reason for the Player to not start spinning and my first thought, especially due to the Player's age, is to a failing Laser.

Have you given the Laser Lens a good clean?
When you put a Disc in, if you have access to an Oscilloscope could you look at the RF Output to see if you get any flicker of a signal?

Service Manual here.........

Technics SL-P990 Manual - Infra-Red Remote Control Compact Disc Player - HiFi Engine

Thanks for the help Percival

I have the service manual, but no access to an oscilloscope, but an audio repair shop might. I will grease the motor when I get it out.

Laser was cleaned, once going it tracks extremely quickly, like 2 - 3 secs between tracks if changing, but upon load up no playing back or by pressing play.

Actually i tried to avoid downward pressing when spinning but that does not mean there is slight downward pressure so yes , I think I may apply slight downward pressure, i will observe this when I look at the player today.

Check the ESR/Value on those three large caps, the integrity of the three coils and particularly check the small vertically mounted electrolytic near the SM transistor- they are notoriously troublesome. The hall sensors look ok, but sometimes old flux can upset them in the long term. Clean around around the four solder points of each hall sensor with a cotton tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol.
Lubricate the sleeve bearing on reassembly.

Check the ESR/Value on those three large caps, the integrity of the three coils and particularly check the small vertically mounted electrolytic near the SM transistor- they are notoriously troublesome. The hall sensors look ok, but sometimes old flux can upset them in the long term. Clean around around the four solder points of each hall sensor with a cotton tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol.
Lubricate the sleeve bearing on reassembly.

Hi John
Thankyou for the reply and help
My multimeter doesnt measure capacitiance so i am not sure how to check the capacitors values. Check the smd solder, clear with some IPA

Hey Sam I have an old spare oscilloscope I would be happy to give you - might come in handy on the CD player repairs. You will need to buy some probes leads though - very cheap on EBay
Cheers
Clay
Hey Clay,
It is nice to see you are on diyaudio. Thank you, that is excellent, since I have 6 old cd players, and it would help diagnose the problem with the P990. I can find the leads on ebay.

Cheers
Sam:)

Hi All
I tried doing what was done on a guys page where you installed the missing parts for the spindle on his P990, on the main board. I had a spare P350 board with the parts, so i tried it but the player would not even power up? Maybe i couldve put the wrong value resistor in one of the spots R356 instead of R358 as an example

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnwc98.livejournal.com%2F5853.html

9252_600.jpg

Hi
I bought a second Technics SL-P990 yesterday, unlike mine it didnt spin on start up, mine is very slow to spin once the disk it loaded.

So with the 2nd P990 i manually spun the disc upon inserting and manually spun it to load the disc, once this is done it tracks and plays perfectly

Hi Buddy i purchase the technics SL-p990 brand new still have it
Mine stoped working many many years ago . took to my local

fix it guy very much respect his knowledge experieced techincian.

He felt mine need a ic replacement . but chouldint say for sure this fix it
just ic was bad . was 200.00 for new one nz so left it.
that was wow in 02 seems like few years ago ;-)

my unit everthing lights up on the display just wont spin up the cd at all
my guess is ic controls the lazer or the motor am no way any knowledge this
or electronics so am just guessing

Hi there Buddy :)

The P990 is worth fixing. I guess the IC. The cd player below the P770, you fit the parts on the board from the P770 service manual. My friend in Russia helped me with this fix. Its trick with the mechanism, if you can find a P770 or P350 and use its laser mech, plus its parts from the board to replace the bare spindle section and copy exactly how it is on the P350/p770 board :)

Hi

Unfortunately I don't understand this error description exactly, but it could be exactly the same behaviour at the Technics model "SL-P220", which I will get from a friend for checking.

The behaviour at these SL-P220 is as follows:
During reading of the TOC the speed of rotation (value from RPM) is too low.
If I manually help to increase the speed of the disk, the reading is performed.
After pressing the "PLAY" button there is to observe the same behaviour. I. e., first very low speed of disc rotation, and after perform manually help to increase the speed of the disc, the cd player works fine over the whole playtime of the cd.
Skipping (jump) between the tracks is also correct without any trouble.

It is the same behavior as at your device ?
In this case must disassembly the discreetly constructed brushless motor probably similar to those on the image from post #6

Thank you for information.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't understand this error description exactly, but it could be exactly the same behaviour at the Technics model "SL-P220", which I will get from a friend for checking.

The behaviour at these SL-P220 is as follows:
During reading of the TOC the speed of rotation (value from RPM) is too low.
If I manually help to increase the speed of the disk, the reading is performed.
After pressing the "PLAY" button there is to observe the same behaviour. I. e., first very low speed of disc rotation, and after perform manually help to increase the speed of the disc, the cd player works fine over the whole playtime of the cd.
Skipping (jump) between the tracks is also correct without any trouble.

It is the same behavior as at your device ?
In this case must disassembly the discreetly constructed brushless motor probably similar to those on the image from post #6

Thank you for information.

Hello Tiefbassuebertr
That is exactly how you described the behavior I expeerienced with my P990

The problem is with the 2 surface mount capacitors. They are notorious for failing. Twist them off with pliars (the board will be OK) and replace with standard ones. Thank you :)

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

Hello mr Snapper, i replaced the bps, but not the 2 surface mount capacitors, I still have parts of the P990 mechanism so I think i might try that, afterall is better the P990 mech over the P350/P550/P770. Thank you :)

Hi, as MR snapper said, the SMD caps are the fault, yesterday i repaired my SL-P1200 replacing the bigger SMD cap, also replaced the smaller one for ensured longevity

Thank you PC91 :)

Hi MaccAu,

I know this is about a year old conversation, but wondering if you were able to fix your cd player? did you replaced those SMD capacitors? as all the recommendations here my help me fix mine.

My friend gave me her technics sl-p102 cd player manufactured in 1989, which looks practically new except it was dusty. I was able to play about 10 cds, then it quit playing and the symptoms are exactly as described here.

I was really surprised how good it sounds on my system, but I am unable to find a service manual for it on the net.

thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.