SM5840....DF1704..changing digital filter ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How good is the old SM5840 ?
Would it be an idea to change it for a DF1704 ?

The SM5842 should be an outstanding performer (I read...) but I can't find anything about the "quality" of SM5840.

The data sheet indicate that the "numbers" of the DF1704 is better versus SM5840....but that doesn't mean better sound ?

According to the schematics the signalflow now is: EIAJ -> SM5840 -> CF37606 -> SM5828 -> AD1862

According to the frase "simpler is better" my choice would be: EIAJ -> DF1704 -> AD1862

This would be more understandable too, as I dont have a clue what the CF37606 is.....can't find anything regarding this chip....:rolleyes:

Regards
Lyra

I would have thought it was irrelevant what anyone else thought of the SM5840. You either like it or you don't.
As for the CF37606, you could see if your national library holds a series of databooks in its reference section by a company called
Derivation and Tabulation Associates Inc. (D.A.T.A) They compile huge databooks on nearly every IC on the planet, broken down into classes, and the discontinued devices book may have the information you seek.

rfbrw said:
I would have thought it was irrelevant what anyone else thought of the SM5840. You either like it or you don't.

Yes...it is....but I have not heard the other one yet, and I don't know if I am missing something.....:xeye:

The function of the CFxxx chips are as far I can see not neccesary anylonger, but I dont know If it oversample the signal or not.
The SM5840 can oversample 4, or 8 times, but this is controlled by the controller.
My thought was that the DF1704 could be hardwired to the correct function, no matter wat the controller try to set.... + the DF1704 is a decade newer chip.....that shouldn't be so bad....I think.
Much!!! have happened in the digital prosessing front since this SM5840 left the plant.

The player plays nize !, but if there are more to get.....I want it !:smash:
.....and, simple is often better...I like to believe that anyway :hot:

Lyra

Hello Lyra.

Great thread.

I have an Onkyo cd-player with CXD2500->SM5843->SM5861
I have also thought about replacing SM5843 with DF1704 and SM5861 with PCM1798.

Have you tried your ideas from post one?

Is EIAJ format the same as Right justified format with 64FS?
(Would like how to set DF1704 to accept EIAJ from CXD2500)

All the best
Kim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.