MiniDSP 2x4 kit VS miniDSP 2x8 kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All

I'm discovering active crossover world. So initially I was planning to go old school with a analog crossover ( opamps and capacitors ) and I gave a try to a minidsp 2x4.

I found the minidsp 2x4 a very interesting dsp but I decided to go with a 3 way active speaker and not a 2 way as before and the minidsp 2x4 has a annoying noise floor. when you came closer to the tweeter you can hear noise. I have a super quiete amplifier (ESP P3 and P101 ) and source.

My question is do anybody have experience with minidsp 2x4 on the noise issue?
the miniDSP 2x8 have a much better ADC/DAC ( CS42528 ) how much quieter is it?
do I need to put a attenuation on the analog output (gain structure issue) to my tweeter ?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Bruno,

There are already numerous threads on miniDSP noise characteristics.......both here in the miniDSP area and on the miniDSP forum itself.

Whether the noise of the 2x8 unit is preferable in your situation might depend upon your power amplifier bandwidth characteristics and how it reacts to out of band noise. There are different noise-shaping techniques used between the 2x4 and 2x8 boards.

(Mods could probably move this post to the miniDSP area of this forum.)

Cheers,

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.