No sound Yamaha CD-S700 to DacMagic 100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm curious about the digital output (optical & coaxial) from a Yamaha CD-S700 as when hooked up to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, there is no sound even though the correct sample rate lights up on the DAC indicating a locked signal. There is a direct mode on the CD-S700 that turns off the display and digital outputs and have that turned off but have tried both ways. There's no clues in the service manual and there's no menu in the player to play around with settings.

I did read a user on a Dutch site had a similar issue but there was no answer to his question.

The CD-S700 does digital output to my Yamaha AVR with no issues and all other equipment such as TV, CD players, DVD and BD work with the DacMagic 100.

The DAC will not be used with this CD player as was installed for other equipment but has me very curious as I thought digital outputs either optical or coaxial would be standardised.

Attachments

• CDS700_Dout.jpg
    CDS700_Dout.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
I had the same problem. Bought a CD-S 700, connected it to an AMB Labs Gamma2 DAC - but the DAC did not recognise a signal, neither via optical nor coaxial input. Analogue output worked. Interestingly, a Yamaha T-D500 DAB tuner does work with the same DAC on both digital "channels". I returned the device and received a replacement device, but the problem persisted (returned it again). The retailer had to idea what the problem could be.

So I'm not nuts as it seems a trait of this player.

I also tried an old Yamaha CDX-396 which works fine with the DAC so there seems to be something different with the digital output on the newer Yamaha CD-S series. Odd that it works with a Yamaha RX-V871 but not the DacMagic.

Whether it's the level of the signal or something else that's different. The digital output is recognised as the DAC locks onto the signal, just no sound.

Hi rabitz, someone at audioreview.com experienced the same problem, in combination with an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC (see http://forums.audioreview.com/digit...-coaxial-optical-input-output-same-37534.html). At the end, he got a replacement device from the Yamaha service that simply worked (no details unfortunately).

The CD-S700 in black is currently not available in my country (sold out since a couple of months). I really hope that the player is still in production and that Yamaha will fix that issue in the next production batch.

I had a reply from Yamaha:

This appears to be a genuine incompatibility between your Yamaha CD player and the Wolfson chipset used inside the Cambridge Audio device.

As such, these kind of incompatibilities can occur between some devices, and as such there is no troubleshooting that can be done to rectify this.

We do apologise for any inconveniences.

Exactly. How hard can it be?

The transmission of 0s and 1s on digital outputs should be standard within the industry. I can understand a coaxial output having issues with varying voltages representing the pulse but the optical output should have no issues as it's light pulses.

Both do not work on the DacMagic but work fine on a Yamaha AV amp. Since it happens on both outputs, it's certainly further up the chain from IC309. Maybe the digital out mute is the culprit but how would the player know what it's connected to?

Still, it's not a problem for me as I only use the on board DAC in the CD player but it's very puzzling.

A summary of DAC brand and chip used in case someone is looking in the future.

Yamaha CD-S700:
DAC: DSD1791 > LME49723 (OP275 Japan)
CD-SPDIF from: MN66F27971 or MN6627971YA (different in schematic and parts list)

Following DACs have issues connected to CD-S700 Digital Out
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100: WM8742
AMB LAB Gamma 2: WM8740 or WM8741 or WM8742
Emotiva XDA-2 Gen 2: AD1955 (did eventually work with a refurbished CD-S700 player)
ZERO 24Bit/192kHz DAC/Headphone amp/Pre amp: AD1852 (receiver CS8416)

Following have no issue with CD-S700 Digital Out
Yamaha RX-V871: PCM1781

That is seriously a non-answer from Yamaha. Complete nonsense. I'd be willing to bet that if you looked at the spdif output waveform from the Yamaha on a scope, we'd find something very anomalous.

I did measure and modified the CD-S700 for a customer, using my XO3.2 low jitter clock / recheck module. Will return the machine soon, curious to see if the operation is successful. See attachment for results and bear in mind sampling scopes have limitations (may post picture from analog scope screen too).

best,

Attachments

• YAMAHA.jpg
    YAMAHA.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 143
Hi

Had no coaxial digital out to DAC from Yamaha CDX-820. DAC unable to lock onto signal. Tried ten cables and finally found one that allows the DAC to lock the signal. Interestingly, it was not the coaxial connection cable I bought specifically for digital signals that worked but the cheapest junk old "monster cable" RCA connect I had in my possession. Really odd. The other RCA cable that worked was more disgusting.

So try different cables. The cheaper the better in my experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.