What is the best VRDS on Teac-Players ?

to X or not to X!

Blitz said:
What was the difference between the VRDS25x and the VRDS 25 ? Which to prefer ?

Hi Blitz,

Unfortunately, I don't know.
I never had a 25 on the bench, so I can not tell!
I know that my 25X is allmost as good as the P-70 ;) I know them both!

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

P.S. I think that the 25 has no digital servo in the transport motor, but don't know that for shure.

Copland cd 288

Hi

I bought 2nd hand a Copland 288 and it has the teac drive in it.
I already changed the cheapish internal clock for a an XO3 clock with much less jitter and the sound became more solid, quiet and transparent (more space)

But if I understand you all well, the teac needs more mods to truly shine?

Can you elaborate more on this?
what exactly can i do?

thanx

Kyrill

TEAC P-700 Transport

bambadoo said:
If you want your 288 to really shine, swap a couple og 0.47uf caps in the analog section to mcap supreme silver/oil.
I have made a post on this, the pictures speaks for themselves. The language is in Norwegian.
http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24235

BTW. What is the price of a used TEAC p-700 drive?
And what VRDS mechanism is in it?
I can get one for 160$

Best Regards

Hi Bambadoo,

If you have the chance to buy the P-700, don't hessitate!
BUY THE TRANSPORT!
it's better than the Copland unit. the Copland uses a KSS-240A ?
And the P-700 uses a KSS-151A this laserunit is much better and the transport of the P-700 is much better than the Copland.
You must modify the unit in order to get the most out of it.
I have one and I have the Kwak Clock installed in it, PSU is new and all caps are Oscons and BG's. Silver wired!

It's better than the WADIA 21 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

P.S. don't use a SP/DIF output transformer make a Kwak one. Ask Elso about this.

Re: Servo mods!

Audiofanatic said:
Hi,

I'll try to post the mods of the servo system of the VRDS system in a few weeks together with my findings regardsing the Tent XO2.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

I am very anxious to hear from you. I am still waiting for one more repair part so my T1 can spin again (might be in the mail today). In the meantime I have covered the insides with bituminous damping material. I really would like to mod it some more!

Nope!

bambadoo said:
Thanks for the information. I have a modified audionote dac that I like really much, and it's a shame to use the copland only as a transport.
Do you know when the unit (p-700) was produced? And what the price was?
It's a bit difficult to find information of it.

Hi Bambadoo,

Check the inside of the unit, look at the pcb and find (somwhere) a prod. date, and one or two years to that date.

If you don't want the P-700 transport, I know somone who might want the Transport. Be carefull not to buy one with a weak Laser unit!!!

BTW. the pics of the copland shows that the transport inside looks like a T1/VRDS 7 transport, the VRDS10,25,25X etc has a better transport.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

P.S. August,
mods done on my P-700 and my VRDS 25X are really simple.
PSU, SERVO, CABLES/CONNECTORS, NEW CASE ALA WADIA, BG's
AND OsCON's Where possible.

Gr. José

Ik zal m'n best doen!

kyrill said:
audiofanatic:

Hi
Can't you say a little bit more like which mods you have done so I learn from you and August and probably many others who love this forum?
Kyrill

Hi,
I sure will tell you guys what I did. But some guys on the forum, Dutch guys, will kill me if I tell what I did to the servo.
So for the standard mods, I'll get back to you within a few days. For the Servo mods, I'm sorry, I can not tell you guys, cause the mods to the servo is done by a friend and he will not tell about it, I don't know a thing about Digital, Analogue is my thing. Why don't you ask the Digital wonders on the forum, for mods on the digital part.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
And then there were two...VRDS-10

...second unit I got just for parts...but after a good clean-up, they both runs great! (and a new laser is in the mail, so they may live long).

Next:
Planning to modify...D1 output stage...?

Arne K

Attachments

• teac-x2.jpg
    teac-x2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,065