SPDIF source for test, 176.4 capable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm toying around with a WM8805 SPDIF receiver (RX only, I2C SW control), and I'd like to test it with all sample rates (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192).

Any ideas for a good source? It can be SPDIF, TOSLINK or both.

I've considered a Juli@ board but they seem to be sold out. PCI, PCIe, USB, firewire, anything goes.

One option I have is a DIY board with a hardware controlled WM8804 TX. That's with a USB interface which I know handles all those frequencies. But I'd prefer to verify the RX interface using generic equipment and not homebrew+Wolfson in either end.

Thanks,
Borge

We already thought of that :)

A while back (after the QNKTC AB-1.1, before the QNKTC AB-1.2=Henry Audio USB DAC 128) we made a set of two prototype boards named AB-1.12 and AB-1.13. They were made to test the PCM5102 and AK4430. Both boards also have room for an ES9012 (never used).

Crucially, both boards also have room for a WM8804 set up as a TX in hardware control mode. I have a mostly assembled board at home where adding this feature is low hanging fruit.

I'm just a little wary of using a Wolfson to verify a Wolfson. That's why I was looking for a solution which isn't all DIY.

Cheers,
Børge

Sure, Didiet,

It isn't that hard to synthesize an SPDIF signal. But since I have an I2S to SPDIF and an USB to I2S already, it's easier to use a PC as a signal generator. Octave has .wav export so that I can program my own arbitrary signal generator and dump that over I2S or SPDIF.

But what I'm trying to achieve is build an SPDIF and TOSLINK RX which is capable of working with generic TXes, not just the ones I've already made.

HpW, the miniDSP looks interesting, thanks!

Or if somebody has a used Juli@ (or similar) for sale, please let me know! It'll have to do 176.4 TX and all the other rates.

The biggest hurdle ahead now is to make a state machine which will tolerate the WM8805's very limited sample rate reporting capabilities. I've put together a sample rate detector in embedded asm, and the WM8805 is up and running with I2C control. I'll open source the whole thing once it's up and running.

Børge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.