Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

how to determine the low end and high end for phase noise calculation
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2015, 09:26 AM   #1
felixlee is offline felixlee  China
diyAudio Member

Default how to determine the low end and high end for phase noise calculation

Hi all, this is my first thread on diyAudio. I don't know whether I post this thread here is appropriate or not. If not, please let me know.

I'm a newbee for HIFI audio. I was told the phase noise for MCLK of the DAC should be as low as possible. But for a typical phase nosie plot, there will be several number point on the plot from 1Hz, 10Hz, 100Hz, 1K, etc, and the phase noise's value would drop with the offset increasing. So here is the question: how to choose the right low and high integration limit to calculate the right jitter value. Is it correct to integration from 1Hz to 100kHz, or case by case?

BTW, If the phase noise performance is not so good, which performance will be sacrificed?

Thanks guys.

Old 10th March 2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Welcome to posting in the forums. Moved to digital source section as more appropriate.
Old 11th March 2015, 12:13 PM   #3
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I believe you should integrate within the audible range.
Old 12th March 2015, 04:51 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
R.I.P.

You need to go subsonic too, as phase noise produces IM. I would suggest integrating from 0.1Hz to the Nyquist frequency.
Old 12th March 2015, 06:12 PM   #5
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

audio wow and flutter frequencies aren't a problem with bog standard quartz xtal oscillators

perceptible audio band noise influence of digital audio clock phase performance isn't a simple 1:1 mapping

its hard to find a quartz xtal oscillator that approaches the 10s-100s nanoseconds for jitter human listening tested hearing threshold

there are other estimates of jitter requirements for sub 16th lsb added noise with 20 kHz full scale signal which are much smaller than anything it has documented that humans can detect
Old 26th March 2015, 08:13 AM   #6
felixlee is offline felixlee  China
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
audio wow and flutter frequencies aren't a problem with bog standard quartz xtal oscillators

perceptible audio band noise influence of digital audio clock phase performance isn't a simple 1:1 mapping

its hard to find a quartz xtal oscillator that approaches the 10s-100s nanoseconds for jitter human listening tested hearing threshold

there are other estimates of jitter requirements for sub 16th lsb added noise with 20 kHz full scale signal which are much smaller than anything it has documented that humans can detect
Hi JCX, would you mind to share more info of "sub 16th lsb added noise with 20 kHz full scale signal " test method? Thanks.
  Reply to this post

how to determine the low end and high end for phase noise calculationHide this!Advertise here!