USB to i2s please, which sounds best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have owned several of these. Below is what I think of each. YMMV

EXAU2I - Still in my system, hooked up through a BIII / Legato III. There are still times I am shocked how good this sounds. Plays up to 384 kHz and plays native DSD as 352 kHz 64 bit. (or something like that). DSD sounds pretty good this way. I wish George would update it to full DSD. I am sure it can do this, given that it uses the same hardware as some of his other commercial products that do DSD natively.

DIYINHK - I have had several of these, not the latest isolated output version however. Surprisingly good. Stable and takes everything up to 384 kHz. I am not sure I would buy an EXA again if the one I have stopped working. Great for the money.

Amanero - Very similar to the DIYINHK. Sounds great and works without problems.

I2SoverUSB - By far my least favorite. I find it to be clinically dark in nature. I just don't like listening to music with it. Tried it with the chip powered by the USB buss and from an external supply, very little difference.

I can not comment on the others. Overall it is surprising how good these have become considering the low purchase price.

John

... and the cheapest one

thanks everyone.

found this DEV Board here very simple

any opinion?

Attachments

• xmos.JPG
    xmos.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,405
Are PC drivers included with these dev boards? Or is it necessary to get a license from Thesycon for this?

The Evaluation Driver is available as a free download from xmos.com for evaluation and prototyping purposes only and will work with all XMOS Reference Designs and Development Kits. :)

Note that the Evaluation Driver provides all the features of the Thesycon Driver but will generate a short beep tone every 5 minutes after 60 minutes of operation. :eek:

Hp

Best sounding USB to I2S

I have owned several of these. Below is what I think of each. YMMV

EXAU2I - Still in my system, hooked up through a BIII / Legato III. There are still times I am shocked how good this sounds. Plays up to 384 kHz and plays native DSD as 352 kHz 64 bit. (or something like that). DSD sounds pretty good this way. I wish George would update it to full DSD. I am sure it can do this, given that it uses the same hardware as some of his other commercial products that do DSD natively.

DIYINHK - I have had several of these, not the latest isolated output version however. Surprisingly good. Stable and takes everything up to 384 kHz. I am not sure I would buy an EXA again if the one I have stopped working. Great for the money.

Amanero - Very similar to the DIYINHK. Sounds great and works without problems.

I2SoverUSB - By far my least favorite. I find it to be clinically dark in nature. I just don't like listening to music with it. Tried it with the chip powered by the USB buss and from an external supply, very little difference.

I can not comment on the others. Overall it is surprising how good these have become considering the low purchase price.

John

Dear johnmarkp,
Thank you for the guidance. Would you still recommend the Amanero or DIYINHK for USB to I2S ?

All the best.

Which USB to I2S ?

I have the Amanero, WaveIO, and DIYINHK. They all sound good. Best sound so far is the Amanero with the ACKO reclocker.

Thank you Raj1.

Have you heard the JLSounds ?

It seems the options are the
JLSounds with Oscillator board
Amanero with ACKO

Or either with Ian's FIFO

Been very interested in Statman's thread on No Dac, No USB thinking to start with either the JLSounds or Amanero USB input than upgrading to I2S. Some people prefer the Amanero to the JLSounds. Planning AD1865 or TDA1541 Dac.

Suggestions ? Thank you !

Last edited:

Can't take that into account I'm afraid. Dark in nature ? Not at all. Heard it in 3 systems and it's not what we are hearing. We find it very natural and I have a hint that it might be little too analytical at the high freq spectrum, I'll find out for sure when I get mine.
We tested both versions (old one with XpressO clocks)
Changes in power supply, either for clocks or usb part, makes a difference you can easily hear too.
Again, it's not just me and not only one system and one time listening test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.