Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Arcam Alpha 8 CD problem
Arcam Alpha 8 CD problem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2017, 07:28 PM   #11
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Arcam Alpha 8 CD problem
It sounds as though it might be something physical if it works correctly when partly stripped down. That sort of changes things a little if it did work reliably every time in that state. Have you looked carefully at all the connections to and from the pickup such as any ribbon cables and so on.

(I'm afraid I don't know anyone who would do repairs on these )
Old 5th October 2017, 11:25 PM   #12
937carrera is offline 937carrera  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

I'm going to do another strip down and rebuild over the next few days - getting quicker at this all the time.

I have done some more checking, the sled moves to the centre of the disc, the laser is illuminating, it rises (to focus ?) twice before going back to rest and switching off. I assume that's probably because it hasn't focussed and found a disc to feel the need to power the spindle motor....then again it could be something else.

Having had a close examination of the transport and a read around I found a great thread describing a repair on a Sony CDP-790 with the same KSS-240A laser ...... no doubt you remember doing that one.

Sony CDP790 and KSS240 Restoration Project
Old 6th October 2017, 02:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

Arcam Alpha 8 CD problem
Sounds somewhat vaguely familiar
Old 7th December 2017, 08:00 PM   #14
937carrera is offline 937carrera  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just an update on this:

I found someone locally who had the equipment, skills & knowledge to do a component level diagnosis. Top bloke, diagnosed that the problem was a resistor and a transistor on the D/A board.

The player is back and working

Not quite DiyAudio in this case, but I had at least done some valid diagnosis along the way. Thanks for the help and interest along the way
Old 8th December 2017, 07:36 AM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Arcam Alpha 8 CD problem
Excellent, pleased to hear you have the player up and running again That does sound like an unusual problem, one that needed attacking with all the test equipment

Arcam Alpha 8 CD problemHide this!Advertise here!