CD players that beg modification

Hi All

Can we start a list??

Looking for CD players that have a very specific feature - a separate servo / control board and Audio board. By separate I mean that the audio / DAC section is separate from the 'making it work' side.

I've looked at datasheets and service manuals galore now, mostly focussing on Sony Mech's as that was what was in the player I want to upgrade.

So far I have ONLY two candidates :(
Teac - CD-5 (SAA7350GP – SM5840AP and KSS210A)
AIWA - XC-950 (SAA7350GP – SM5840DS and KSS210)

The Teac I know all about as I bought it already :) But it seems to be the only player they made that way - despite the fact there are lots of unused parts on the control and audio Boards (for balanced OP), I can't immediately find another TEAC that has the same separation of church and state.

Can anyone add to that list? Absolutely not Limited to Sony transports at all. Just looking for players where the control can be got out of the way and the fun can begin.

Andy

i'm not sure what you're asking. it sounds like you might be asking about machines with the transport in the center and the transport electronics pcb on one side of the chassis and the audio/digital electronics pcb on the other side, maybe even with two separate power transformers; one to drive each side?
some of the old onkyo top line integra models: DX6800, DX-708, DX-706, etc.?
here's some peeks into a DX-708:
http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/264831-onkyo_integra_dx708_single_disc_player.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg Photo by renaudmumu | Photobucket

IMG_1954.jpg Photo by renaudmumu | Photobucket

DSCN0935.jpg Photo by sylviegael | Photobucket

Always wished that I'd kept my original Sony CDP101. Separate PCB's, and all highly tweakable given what we now know.

+1, I thought I was getting an "upgrade" when I gave it away in 1993 and bought a Kenwood M5550 which I got a remote for and I used it till 2 years ago, and only traded away last week - anyway, 101 or 201, I am not sure, but I think 101. Bloody heavy it was.
Cool.
Srinath.

thanks all for the responses - been offline with the dreaded Man Flu

Mlloyd1 - yep that's exactly it, basically a cd player of two halves. The Onkyo looks great, makes me wonder how far down range the Philosophy went, will investigate service manuals.

Sony 101 - WOW! Rather a lot in that box..

Stephensank - will look, honestly more at the Sony end than the McIntosh - because money. but looks like there are plenty of options actually and its not as much of a challenge as I've been finding. :)

Again - Thanks for the pointers

I have a few more:

Teac VRDS 7
Teac VRDS 10
Quad67*
Arcam CD92
Arcam CD70.2
Marantz cd7300
Rotel RHCD 10

* is where it's entirely possible I misinterpreted the service manual. In fact, given my level of expertise here I should assume that you need to check. Especially if you're buying..

I've noticed that MOST of these are Sony Mech's. Is there a known reason that manufacturers using the sony transports seem more inclined to separate all the control system from the DAC and audio output?

cheers

Andy

I just received the Cambridge Audio 640c mkI and it sounds awesome, MUCH better compared to a micro system I had around (no surprise here). Positive side as well is my wife is really impressed and soon forgot the "uhhh bought another **** for your DIY hobby? how much this one?" :D