New AKM Stereo ADC AK5397 announced

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
AKM has just officially announced the AK5397.

Features:
1. 128 times Oversampling Stereo A/D Converter
2. 32-bit Digital Filters
3. Sampling Rate: 8kHz ~ 768kHz
4. Low Distortion Full Differential Inputs
5. SCF
6. OVF Output
7. Soft Mute
8. THD+N: -108dB
9. DR, S/N: 127dB
10. Power Supply: 4.75~5.25V (Analog), 3.0~3.6V (Digital)
11. Package: 44-pin LQFP

Mass production is scheduled for January 2015.

It was visible on AKM's web page some months ago and then it disappeared, apparently due to some technical problems. Now it has reappeared and this time with a generally available data sheet. And a mass production date, which is within the near future.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This thread was actually about the AK5397, so the AK4490 discussion is in fact a bit OT.

In the meantime I have received samples of both the AK5397 and the AK4490. I expect to start a design using both of them very soon. I have a design with AK5394A and AK4399, which I will modify to use the new converters.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here is a picture of the board with the AK5394A and AK4399.
The small board on the top left is a power supply. The boards on the right are the USBStreamer and the isolated USBStreamer interface.

Attachments

• ADC_DAC board_2.jpg
    ADC_DAC board_2.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 523
No, the USBStreamer is not absolutely necessary. The interface is I2S plus a few control signals to select the sample rate (from 44.1 to 192 kHz). There are on-board crystal oscillators to generate the MCLK.

3. Sampling Rate: 8kHz ~ 768kHz

As it can why not more than 192kHz? Why not maximize at input and output?

Then again what would one want to adjust over 20kHz not mentioning 192kHz? I reckon the choice would be straight trhu for everyone... Or, would high frequenzies still be to coarse at 192kHz - what about 384 then as an middle value?

Regards

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hopefully specs will be better;)
The current board has specs, which are in line with the data sheets for the converters used.

It could look about the same. But I also need to add an analog front-end with input signal attenuator and gain as well as DAC output buffers. But I may keep that on a separate board. This will give added flexibility and could be an advantage if one part of the design needs a redesign. It takes quite some time to mount a board like this by hand!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.