Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Recommend an old CD player with very good transport?
Recommend an old CD player with very good transport?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2014, 02:19 AM   #1
bsmith is offline bsmith  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Recommend an old CD player with very good transport?

Having a blast building some decent quality stereo equipment. Would consider upgrading the transport.

Presently I have a Marantz CD63 (CMD12.1 mechanism) as transport, and a CS8416/CS4397 DAC with a Lampizator that replaces the 2 double IC’s with tubes.

The best value seems to be on some 20 – 30 year old CD players that had some really nice transports. They were typically quality units costing upwards of $1,000 then, but now can be had for under $200 now.

The CD players I am seeing that have the most value today are those with a KSS-151A, but few can be obtained with this mechanism for under $200. There are a number of other units getting good reviews:

CD/DVD Player/****/ Transport
Denon DCD-1560/**/ KSS-151A
Denon DCD 1500/**/ KSS-121A
Marantz CD52/******/ CMD-4/19
Sony DVP S-7000 /*/ ???
NAD 5000/**********/ D77/KSS-150A

Are there some other good CD players with quality transports that could be recommended? Or one (or more) that is clearly better than the rest?

Last edited by bsmith; 25th October 2014 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Make columns align
Old 25th October 2014, 05:47 AM   #2
kevinkevin is offline kevinkevin  United Kingdom
Account disabled at member's request

Marantz CD75 mkII with CDM-1 transport and TDA1541A

Kevin
Old 25th October 2014, 06:06 AM   #3
thimios is offline thimios  Greece
diyAudio Member

Suppose you can find an old cd player , where you will buy a new(original)laser head???
Old 25th October 2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Stewart Holmes is offline Stewart Holmes  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello bsmith,

Seems like you have picked some good CD Players already, unfortunately none I've owned. I owned a Pioneer PD-S904 a while back which has great reviews as a transport due to the Stable Platter Mechanism, here's a great link on vintage Pioneer players:

Pioneer CD-Player

I have just received an old Denon DCD-1015, which was a budget player back then but gets good reviews as a transport although I think Pioneer are better, I'd seriously think about the old Arcam players too, my friend just bought a Arcam Alpha 7SE which is brilliant, really warm smooth sound for 150 used excellent condition, have fun choosing a CD Player to suit you.
Old 25th October 2014, 03:44 PM   #5
bsmith is offline bsmith  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all your input.

Kevin,
Your recommendation could be a giant killer, as based on this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digit...mkii-long.html

If I can find one for a few $, it might be worth while (based on my limited mechanical and electronics ability, there is high probability of screw up).

Thimios,
Your point is well taken: the mechanism will be old, and replacement parts hard to come by. If I buy any vintage CD player, I need to be prepared to call it a total loss if it breaks.

Stewart Holms,
The Pioneers look nice, but single CD players of the vintage variety are scarce and expensive. Maybe they are more popular on your side of the pond,

Will also look at Arcam. They make some really good players.

I will continue to search out inexpensive KSS-151A and CDM-1 Mk II transports. They seem to be worth investing time and money into.

Our life with God is an exciting journey. Fun choosing a CD player and listening is only a part. So enjoy the journey.

Thanks again for your comments
Old 25th October 2014, 03:51 PM   #6
Dilbert is offline Dilbert  Canada
diyAudio Member

You just have to check out the Sony CDP-707ESD. Built like a tank, love mine in spite of also owning a fewer much more modern machines.
Old 6th January 2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Crankenfine is offline Crankenfine  United States
diyAudio Member

OK since a few years have passed I'll revive this dead thread by posing the same query as the OP: What's a decent CD player likely to be currently available in North America?

My trusty Pioneer PD-101 still plays like it did 20 years ago, but at lower volume levels it makes an audible ticking noise when spinning discs. I'd like to get a newer one before this one stops working & maybe get something a little better if used bargains are out there to be had. Thank you!
Old 6th January 2017, 08:25 PM   #8
apoopoo999 is offline apoopoo999  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the philips swing arms, they seem to last forever. CDM2 or CDM4 are abundant.
If you get one without spdif you can easily retrofit one.
Old 7th January 2017, 09:18 PM   #9
Crankenfine is offline Crankenfine  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into those.
Old 16th January 2017, 04:13 PM   #10
danico is offline danico  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Revox B225 ,B226... based on philips chips and the famous CDM-1.

Best value for the money.

Recommend an old CD player with very good transport?Hide this!Advertise here!