Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

R2R ladder ADC ... any links/sources?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2014, 03:32 AM   #1
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default R2R ladder ADC ... any links/sources?

Hi All,

Hmmm ... I'm curious as to whether R2R ladder ADCs exist and also if there are some links/resources as to how they are designed in practice ...

Might one/some of you know of this?

Thanks for any input you may have

Jesper
Old 7th May 2014, 04:07 AM   #2
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Hi Jesper - you could start with this brief from Maxim. They're called 'SAR' ADCs btw.

Understanding SAR ADCs: Their Architecture and Comparison with Other ADCs - Tutorial - Maxim
Old 7th May 2014, 04:09 AM   #3
Jaimo is offline Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've also wondered about this. I spent a great deal of time studying DAC theory when I was in college but never got the chance to test this concept.

Here's a refresher on R2R theory.

Here's a thread you may want to join...
Old 7th May 2014, 04:51 AM   #4
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

there are also C array based "charge balancing/charge redistribution" SAR ADC
Attached Images
File Type: png cADC.PNG (34.0 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by jcx; 7th May 2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 7th May 2014, 01:22 PM   #5
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

I think this is what you are looking for.
Old 7th May 2014, 04:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback ;-) - I'll look into it ...

@abraxalito:
Quote:
Hi Jesper - you could start with this brief from Maxim. They're called 'SAR' ADCs btw
... I was actually wondering if this was what it was called when an ADC instead of a DAC.

Just thinking ... might one of you know of a practical schematic so that I could take a glance at how such an ADC is actually implemented?

Thanks again :-)

Jesper
Old 7th May 2014, 11:54 PM   #7
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Fig1 in the link I posted shows a block diagram. Do you mean you want a transistor level schematic of that? If so I don't hink its going to happen...
Old 8th May 2014, 01:07 AM   #8
georgehifi is offline georgehifi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
I believe Pacific Microsonics HDCD Model One and Model Two were ad /da and used 2r2 dacs to do it, and they do HDCD as well. I know they still get a small fortune for these on the used market.

Cheers George
Old 8th May 2014, 05:08 AM   #9
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback ;-) - I'll look into it ...

@abraxalito:
... I was actually wondering if this was what it was called when an ADC instead of a DAC.

Just thinking ... might one of you know of a practical schematic so that I could take a glance at how such an ADC is actually implemented?

Thanks again :-)

Jesper
A long time ago, used a 74HCT393 4-bit binary counter's output to make an analog-output staircase waveform generator.

I don't have a good schematic but the description is simple.

First, I placed an opamp near the overall output, to buffer and sum the DAC's outputs, to make the final analog output signal. To form the signal for the (non-inverting) op amp amp's input, I first put a resistor to ground from the op amp's positive input; call it Rin (and configured the op amp's feedback and negative input network etc for the gain I wanted). Then I placed a resistor with value Rdac (given below) between the 8s bit (digital bit 4 of 4) digital output and the top of Rin, and 2 x Rdac from the 4s bit output to the top of Rin, and 4 x Rdac from the 2s bit output to the top of Rin, and 8 x Rdac from the 1s bit output to the top of Rin.

You can see that it forms a weighted voltage-divider summing network, with voltage-divider weightings that are powers of two (or should be).

I believe there is some simple equivalent multistage R-2R resistor network configuration that makes the same thing as my 8R-4R-2R-R (and some Rin) network.

For some reason, I used 50k for Rin and made Rdac 250k. Today, I would probably try to use smaller values.

In my circuit's case, I also put a small resistance (in the 50 to 400 Ohms range, to fine-tune the total resistance value for each bit) between each digital output and its main DAC resistance, and also added a small cap to ground after each small resistance (1000 pF to 2200 pF), to fine-tune the rise-times and edge shapes.

It worked well. It was for a test instrument (stimulating transistor base or gate), not audio, although I ended up running it in the step-rate range from 30 Hz to 22 kHz, and thus the very nice stair-step edges had frequency components much higher than that. (The DAC output op amp amp's output went to a step attenuator, and the attenuator's output went to a selectable inverting amp and then to an Improved Howland Current Pump op amp amplifier, with a small two-transistor push-pull power amplifier (BD-139/140) inside the Howland's feedback loops, which had an overall output that could be configured with a switch (100 Ohms to ground or not) so that it could produce either voltage steps or current steps, with a peak output of +/-15 Volts at +/-1.5 Amps (barely) into 10 Ohms.)

Last edited by gootee; 8th May 2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 8th May 2014, 06:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

@abraxalito:
Quote:
Fig1 in the link I posted shows a block diagram. Do you mean you want a transistor level schematic of that? If so I don't hink its going to happen...
Hi again ... no I don't mean a transistor schematic but maybe if there were a schematic with actual components used, i.e. ICs etc. it could be interesting to see a practical implementation.

@georgehifi: Thanks for the reference ... yet in this case I'm looking to see how it might be done in practice ...

@gootee: Thank you also for outlining your approach. I'll see if I can put it into a schematic for visualizing it one of these days.

Greetings to you ;-)

Jesper

R2R ladder ADC ... any links/sources?Hide this!Advertise here!