Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

DAC is fine, tested with another cd player 2 days ago.

tested again today with that same cd player, no sound, wtf.

got a really cheap interlink, sound!!!

put the cheap interlink on the chiga, sound!!!!, heavenly music, YESSS.

With my expensive silver furutech interlink with wtb silver nextgen connectors, no sound.

The nexgen connectors were not playing ball and are very finnicky so it seems.

cleaned them, put them in the correct way and music again, that was the problem.

This is very embarrasing i must admit.

lesson learned, assumption is the mother of all f...ups

Thank you Tibi for the assist as always.

regards,
John

Last edited:
Weird noise from mechanism

Hi Tibi and other builders!

My Shiga black started to make a weird noise coming from the mechanism.
I have uploaded a sound sample of the noise when playing the first track of a disk.
There is a noise frequency pattern which is related to the speed of the disk.
This means that the frequency of the noise pattern decreases then moving to the last tracks.
I have changed the mechanism and nothing changed.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 3788.zip
    167.1 KB · Views: 94
Joined 2016
Paid Member
I think for many here it will be a case of "been there, done that" (or something similar)

Enjoy the feeling and enjoy the music

DAC is fine, tested with another cd player 2 days ago.

tested again today with that same cd player, no sound, wtf.

got a really cheap interlink, sound!!!

put the cheap interlink on the chiga, sound!!!!, heavenly music, YESSS.

With my expensive silver furutech interlink with wtb silver nextgen connectors, no sound.

The nexgen connectors were not playing ball and are very finnicky so it seems.

cleaned them, put them in the correct way and music again, that was the problem.

This is very embarrasing i must admit.

lesson learned, assumption is the mother of all f...ups

Thank you Tibi for the assist as always.

regards,
John

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Meanwhile on the muppet show things go from bad to custard.

In my quest to get back to vanilla so I can eliminate any problems from basic I pulled all the mini regs etc. back in went L2, 3, 5, 9

have to dig through my stuff to see if I can find original crystal so I can remove Tentlabs to eliminate if there problems there (no scope)

for the moment when I power up I only get 2.2v at pin58

Hi Tibi and other builders!

My Shiga black started to make a weird noise coming from the mechanism.
I have uploaded a sound sample of the noise when playing the first track of a disk.
There is a noise frequency pattern which is related to the speed of the disk.
This means that the frequency of the noise pattern decreases then moving to the last tracks.
I have changed the mechanism and nothing changed.

Any ideas?

You may try to replace optical ribbon cable, but I think this is a mechanical issue which may be related to the way you have implemented Shiga MKII, so I would like to see some pictures with entire assembly.

Regards,
Tibi

Meanwhile on the muppet show things go from bad to custard.

In my quest to get back to vanilla so I can eliminate any problems from basic I pulled all the mini regs etc. back in went L2, 3, 5, 9

have to dig through my stuff to see if I can find original crystal so I can remove Tentlabs to eliminate if there problems there (no scope)

for the moment when I power up I only get 2.2v at pin58

Pin 58 LA9242 ? This is reference voltage and should be 2,5V.

Best regards,
Tibi

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Yes that was the value I was working on

Got music playing today!!!

BUT not using the Sanyo "hens teeth" laser/mechanism

Only with the other non original laser/mech (vanilla, have not tried modded) - the ones you were sending out when the Sanyo was not available

Currently the Shiga does not like the Sanyo at all - either with vanilla laser or modded - both from yourself and both I have had working in my Shiga before all my problems

Do you think there is a difference in the laser height? Are the Sanyo more sensitive/less tolerant?

This is curious

Pin 58 LA9242 ? This is reference voltage and should be 2,5V.

Best regards,
Tibi

Some time ago I promised that freecad source Quantum files will be available to diyaudio users.

Anyone interested to build his own Quantum CD transport please leave his mail @ tiberiu_vicol [at] hotmail dot com and I'll share entire source files.

For thos interested to buy one I still have two Quantum CDT available for sale. :D

Regards,
Tibi

So far I have shared via dropbox to 28 people. Only 6 have downloaded the zip file.
Please make sure that you look inside your spam folder.

Regards,
Tibi

Joined 2016
Paid Member
so all of a sudden I’m only getting 4.08v at V1 now. I have a LF50CV with 100uf 16v across output to gnd. Been going fine until just now. This has happened before - I can’t remember what I did to remedy it in the past.

Will swap out the regulator for now. But must be something else in my implementation if it keeps going weong

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Sorted

Found that GND connection was not solid

so all of a sudden I’m only getting 4.08v at V1 now. I have a LF50CV with 100uf 16v across output to gnd. Been going fine until just now. This has happened before - I can’t remember what I did to remedy it in the past.

Will swap out the regulator for now. But must be something else in my implementation if it keeps going weong

Joined 2016
Paid Member
With all my messing around looks like where the output signal wire connected to rca had started to break so was only connected by a couple of strands of wire - stripped more of the wire and resoldered to make stronger connection - looks like that fixed it

Thanks Tibi

Next question :)

Is there a separate GND plane through the middle of the pcb or is it simple 2 sided?

I have fiddled with V1 too many times (trying to get Zeno to work in there) and broken pads off at the regulator. I can't see where the GND trace goes - where does it connect to so I can remake a connection using wire/lead.

At the moment I have made connection from V1 GND to GND side of C14. Regulator works fine at 5.0?v (can't remember exact) and all 4 regs measure very close as per requirements. Laser reads TOC ok but then will only play a couple of seconds before stopping and going back to TOC. Maybe this is happening because GND connection is broken elsewhere because it is routed through this pad?

Feeling like a numpty - need to learn when to leave well alone and stop fiddling!!

Thanks

Make sure you have gnd correctly connected to s/pdif. I mean gnd is not reversed with signal.
Than have a look on your dac power supply, or amplifier. One of them is noisy, for sure.
I had same issue with a dac with noisy smps.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi all,
I'm wondering how to assess whether the laser is burned in a unit. I have done the CD deck modification several times, but on the last one, the laser doesn't seem to be working (no laser and no movement of the laser lens, though the cartridge works). How to check if the laser is indeed the problem, as opposed to a board issue?
I have used the board before and it works fine; however, now I have done a few caps upgrades on the board too. All soldering points have been checked and all seems fine. Voltage on the LD reads 1.5V. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.