Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2018, 06:30 PM   #1871
tvicol is offline tvicol  Europe
diyAudio Member

Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread
Cover your Shiga MKII with beeswax to protect against humidity and oxidation.
Drop beeswax on the board and use your hotgun to uniform the wax over entire board. make sure that you avoid connectors and LA6541 dissipation layout - unless this have a small heatsink.

Regards,
Tibi
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg SHIGA-MKII_wax.jpeg (191.5 KB, 319 views)
Old 15th January 2019, 01:45 PM   #1872
diyAudio Member

Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread
For those who plan to use Zeno, here is a drawing.
Please note that output +8V must be connected with Sense as close as possible to Shiga MKII connector.

https://vicol-audio.com/img/zeno/ShigaMK2-Zeno.png

Regards,
Tibi
Old 20th January 2019, 09:53 PM   #1873
hartbigsky is offline hartbigsky  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Tibi and all,
Does anyone have a build with the Tentlabs XO2.2 module[external clock]? Does the external board offer anything over mounted on Shigaclone? Nuetrino is not an option$$.
Thanks for any input.

best regards,
Steve
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:48 AM   #1874
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
- now I use mini regs in places of V2,V3 and V4. For V1 I use LF50 as an alternative to LT1086-5 with excellent performance - note that these regulators need 100uF soldered on the output to eliminate any oscillations. Salas D-reflector for V1 and V2 are also a nice upgrade.
Hi Tibi

Just sat down to pop a LF50 into V1. I notice that the pin configuration is different to the LT1086 so it is not a straight drop in - instead it will look like its busting for a wee.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:50 AM   #1875
diyAudio Member

Yes, you need to twist pins or use an adapter.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 29th January 2019, 03:36 AM   #1876
diyAudio Member

So after successfully putting in the LF50 to V1 and a 3rd mini-reg in V2 rather than leave well alone I thought I'd be clever and proceed to the ADP151 mod. Put in the IC, 10uf tant, 1k res and 1uf cap. Couldn't get it to work with the cut trace and wire to C11 - so followed the various work arounds (2 and 3) to force the chip etc. Still nothing. But also then noticed the LF50 was getting way hot. This was working fine before I commenced the ADP151 mod so the problems relate to something I have done after that point ie. U5, C68/69, R65

I rewound from the ADP151 but it did not immediately recover from there. SO proceeded to replace Ferrite beads and remove all mini-regs etc from the equation.

I'm only getting 7v at the pad that feeds the individual mini-regs and the LA9242 chip is getting hot so it is getting to much v!!

Something got fried in the process of doing the ADP151 mod. Any ideas where to start looking? Obvs I don't want to power on too long to juice the LA9242 - maybe it is already beyond repair.

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthcoaster View Post
Hi Tibi

Just sat down to pop a LF50 into V1. I notice that the pin configuration is different to the LT1086 so it is not a straight drop in - instead it will look like its busting for a wee.

Cheers

Last edited by sthcoaster; 29th January 2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 29th January 2019, 08:47 AM   #1877
diyAudio Member

Is your AP151 a 2,5V type ?
If LF50 get hot than it was somehow shorted.
I'm afraid that LA9242 chip getting hot mean is faulty now.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 29th January 2019, 09:08 AM   #1878
diyAudio Member

As per usual - once I took a breath and could block out some time that I could look carefully, the problems got solved.

I have not implemented the ADP151 but I am happy to have all going well now with V1 LF50 V2,3,4 mini-regs in place.

Will leave well alone for now but I know myself enough that I will be back to try again with the ADP151. Have to get a 1206 format 1K res as the one I am using is tiny.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthcoaster View Post
So after successfully putting in the LF50 to V1 and a 3rd mini-reg in V2 rather than leave well alone I thought I'd be clever and proceed to the ADP151 mod. Put in the IC, 10uf tant, 1k res and 1uf cap. Couldn't get it to work with the cut trace and wire to C11 - so followed the various work arounds (2 and 3) to force the chip etc. Still nothing. But also then noticed the LF50 was getting way hot. This was working fine before I commenced the ADP151 mod so the problems relate to something I have done after that point ie. U5, C68/69, R65

I rewound from the ADP151 but it did not immediately recover from there. SO proceeded to replace Ferrite beads and remove all mini-regs etc from the equation.

I'm only getting 7v at the pad that feeds the individual mini-regs and the LA9242 chip is getting hot so it is getting to much v!!

Something got fried in the process of doing the ADP151 mod. Any ideas where to start looking? Obvs I don't want to power on too long to juice the LA9242 - maybe it is already beyond repair.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by sthcoaster; 29th January 2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 29th January 2019, 09:25 AM   #1879
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I'm glad I was wrong.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 29th January 2019, 09:33 AM   #1880
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm glad too. It was probably warm rather than hot - once I realised there was heat coming from somewhere it shouldn't I shut the power off. Glad to be back on track.

Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders ThreadHide this!Advertise here!