AD1862 PCB layout

Yes, it's pretty annoying to have lost all the files. Not really motivated to start from scratch again. :mad:

Here are a couple photos. One of the (dusty) unpopulated dac. And one of the populated prototype. It's really compact. I'm surprised at how good it sounds compared to how messy it looks :D

Attachments

• 20190830_194800.jpg
    20190830_194800.jpg
    950.9 KB · Views: 706
  • 20190830_194736.jpg
    20190830_194736.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 654
...aaand here's the finished dac in its enclosure. All is diy except the I2SoverUSB receiver. Very happy with the result!!

I haven't heard many different dacs in my setup, but I can definitely say that it's way way better than the Chord Hugo 2 and the Naim DAC, both priced at $2000 USD. Would be interesting to compare it to some higher end dacs.

Attachments

• Snapchat-546479159.jpg
    Snapchat-546479159.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 587
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it's pretty annoying to have lost all the files. Not really motivated to start from scratch again. :mad:

Here are a couple photos. One of the (dusty) unpopulated dac. And one of the populated prototype. It's really compact. I'm surprised at how good it sounds compared to how messy it looks :D
Nice work. I saw on previous photos that you were using vishay var on riv. What is now your new resistor in use?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello Painkiller,

Nice to hear from you. About R I/V, is there a big différence with the RhoRho 816G 1000R I sent you ;

I suceeded to put ufl- plugs on the previous design, you should keep the 3 x ground with the I2S inputs and also consider Sms full traces for 50 ohms matching.

Take me in for the new board please if you have my adresse yet...I push very far the passive composent tries.
If Smd Sussumu resistor is a good idea. You coule also draw the gerber traces with both the choice of througholes. 1/8 W size is the targett. Also same return about caps , consider please 0805 traces and throughole...will give you some components that do not exist on loser case size...here you should love to reach the Dave from Chord :)

Last edited:
Hi,

as the gerber files are lost and I wanted to build this project I made new boards. Iam very curious if this circuit really sounds better than a Naim DAC :)

Front view:
attachment.php

Back view:
attachment.php

I tried to star earth the analog section, and the digital section has a filled copper zone instead.

Any advice...?

Attachments

• v.jpg
    v.jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 850
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 818
... Any advice...?

yes, if its I/V is from post #36
AD1862 PCB layout
then put something else in there, this I/V has not a nice sound at all, it's very flat, basic NE5532 opamp sounds more beautifully (I myself have compared it few years ago) ... there are much better solutions (better opamps :radar:, or @laserscrape tried audio transformers with a good result), build the PCB with Iout and try different I/V concepts to find the best for you :hphones:

yes, if its I/V is from post #36
AD1862 PCB layout

Yes, I tried to re-draw it:
attachment.php

this I/V has not a nice sound at all, it's very flat

But Painkiller wrote it sounds better than DACs by Chord and Naim...?

there are much better solutions (better opamps

OK, I also re-draw your OPA627-based circuit:
attachment.php

PCB front view:
attachment.php

PCB back view:
attachment.php

Questions:
- Painkillers schematic shows AGND connected to GND. I draw a separate star-GND for the analog section: where should I connect them together?
- For the OPA627: is it a good idea to have the 47p cap across the 1k4 resistor?

I will build both I/V versions and report about the sound. If successfull I will publish files (gerber, schematic, PCB). In any case big thanks to Painkiller and Miro for the inspiration!

Attachments

• s_opa.jpg
    s_opa.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 887
  • s_bc.jpg
    s_bc.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 824
  • h_opa.jpg
    h_opa.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 797
  • v_opa.jpg
    v_opa.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 804
Last edited:
But Painkiller wrote it sounds better than DACs by Chord and Naim...?
it sounds worse than NE5534 :D

Questions:
- Painkillers schematic shows AGND connected to GND. I draw a separate star-GND for the analog section: where should I connect them together?
You should connect them together under DAC chip.
Best if you follow a solid GND plane, and don't cross the wires, like this: DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

- For the OPA627: is it a good idea to have the 47p cap across the 1k4 resistor?
Yes, you can have it, ceramic C0G type only, or THT PP foil.
Don't populate C35 (4n7), leave it empty, the AD1862 is audibly clean at the output.

it sounds worse than NE5534 :D

Just to make sure: you wouldn't prefer a NE5534 to a Chord/Naim, right...? :D

Best if you follow a solid GND plane, and don't cross the wires

I saw you have some 0R bridges: I thought vias and solder points create problems such as jitter...? As for the analog section I could do without crossings like this (added a THT footprint to the 47p cap as you suggested):

Attachments

• opa.jpg
    opa.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 426
I never heard Chord/Naim

I seriously recommend: by all means have a decent Naim demo as soon as possible!!

don't cross the wires

OK, my PCB without crossings and flexible ground options (GNDs tied together at the power supplies outside the board or near the AD1862, selectably with solder jumpers):

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 393
Drawing the GND wires in DACs into a star is not recomended, it's very bad, theoretically it could be but not like this.
It is recommended to do solid GND, and separate analog and digital only at critical points, not elsewhere (or not separate it at all) ... but don't trust me, follow the professionals if you want to learn something, because you obviously want to learn
Successful PCB Grounding with Mixed-Signa - Maxim Integrated

Last edited:
Drawing the GND wires in DACs into a star is not recomended, it's very bad, theoretically it could be but not like this.
It is recommended to do solid GND, and separate analog and digital only at critical points, not elsewhere (or not separate it at all) ... but don't trust me, follow the professionals if you want to learn something, because you obviously want to learn
Successful PCB Grounding with Mixed-Signa - Maxim Integrated

OK, thanks, I will study & learn :cool:

if its I/V is from post #36 AD1862 PCB layout then put something else in there, this I/V has not a nice sound at all, it's very flat, basic NE5532 opamp sounds more beautifully

Just an update: I finally built and tested the circuits and found the discrete diamond IV stage (with original Philips BJTs) superior to the opamp stage (cleaner, more involving, more transparent, better PRaT). I compared it also to the DAC in my Naim integrated: the diamond IV won hands down. The opamp IV stage was also good, it has triple stacked AD844s followed by OPA627 (it did not sound very good with only one AD844: with 2 it was much better, with 3 it was fine, so I found the same as reported by others). I used multiple 3X7-regulated supplies and will upgrade them to super regulators in my final build (6 per channel plus the digital supplies from a separate transformer). BTW I tried PCM63s in place of the AD1862s and far prefered the latter. I also compared the glue logic NOS input to DF1704 and PMD100 on both DAC chips and IV stages: the PMD100 is clearly better than the very good DF1704, the glue logic was noticeably less refined but also not bad. So I ended with enough modules to make 2 DACs out of all this: DF1704->PCM63->opamp-IV and PMD100->AD1862->diamond-IV :)