GUSTARD DAC-X10 DAC ES901 (Support DSD)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gustard dac-x10 dac es9018

USB 2.0 interface can replay 1BIT/2.8224MHz or asynchronous sampling rate of 5.6448MHz DSD digital signals.
Who had the chance to listen this DAC?
What is the real ability to reproduce true DSD and how it can be modified? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi, I bought one quite recently. It is very nicely built and sound great to my ears. Very detailed and transparent. I have not tried any DSD material yet. PCM up to 24/384 works well. Mine has a 100Mhz clock in it although the ebay pictures show 80Mhz. I modified it with a LL1674 OPT in 4:1 stepdown.

I have a few questions!
01) Do not Have You Tried use fubar plugin for playback DSD?
02) What DAC-s you have to compare?
03) As I understand it, DSD works through usb?
04) What drivers are used for usb?
And I would like you to describe the basic components of the system!

This DAC decodes DSD. You need tyo configure your media player to send DSD stream to your DAC, that's so for each DSD capable DAC. The power switch appears on the back side near the mains cable plug. My shipping contained mains cable, although not for my trerritory. :D That's not so important for me. I agree, product brochure in English could be available. I found Chinese PDF on internet and used pictures from it to configure DSD playback in Foobar2000.
I consider the sound signature to be neutral ... I don't like too bright sound and I really like the sound of X10.

Mine has a 100Mhz clock in it although the ebay pictures show 80Mhz.
Hi, I bought one from doukmall on ebay.co.uk. Sold from UK, fast delivery, no customs etc.

Mine has 100 MHz clock too. Very nicely built.

Attachments

• X10-clock1.jpg
    X10-clock1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_1481_1024.jpg
    IMG_1481_1024.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_1480_1024.jpg
    IMG_1480_1024.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_1479_1024.jpg
    IMG_1479_1024.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_1478_1024.jpg
    IMG_1478_1024.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_1475_1024.jpg
    IMG_1475_1024.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 733
I am very satisfied with the sound... and i really don*t know if i will modified it. Although i mod all i have at home i will think twice with modding. First thing that i will don is doing sepparate 5V usb supply because it is feeding from source, PC. I have made sepparate supply
diy silver cable with 4 batteries supply. Sound is more analogue, fuller, very good.
How many opamps is on the analog signal path? just opa1642 or TL072?

Attachments

• kabel usb.jpg
    kabel usb.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 412
How do you describe difference in sound?
I have opened the dac. Try to measure and see how it is implemented.
Must say it is well done for that money.
But i have done some mods....Why?
Sound from usb with adaptor and connected with power to linux player is very different...much more than comparing es9023 powered from adaptor or player.
Gustard x-10 sound much more refine analogue sounded, neutral, when powered from batteries as powered from pc.
I take a look inside the dac. Xmos is feeded from internall 5v ams3117 preregulator followed adp151 regulators. Only USB3118 transceiver is powered from externall usb 5v. It can be redesigned that is powered from dac but some mods must be done...left one diode out and connect one resistor.
But then the magic of using output supply is out. USB3118 has no regulator so the sound difference can be expected. I also replaced rca for coax input to neutrik 75ohm BNC input because i have bnc cables for spdif.
Some mesurement was done. 1 Preregulator oscillated heavy.. the most problematic is regulator U5 GAL RPH i am not sure if it is analog devices. Decoupling solve 95% of ripple, but 10uf ceramics on ams3117 100% defeat ripple but sound becomes harsh, bright ,artiffical, with one for my ears unpleasant musical note that is present all the time at listening... neutrality is gone... simmila as it is powered from external pc (normal usb connection)... I think that ams3117 don*t like ceramics on output.
Measuring all other supplies were clean. I replaced 3 tantals after adp151...for smd panasonic sp cap.
The FINAL question... ADA797 AVCC regulator is, or it is not the best choice-sollution? I tried 100Uf Silmic 2 at output and sound become to hard, I replaced it with 10uf SAL-RPM as Black gate replacement and its ok. A little more sub bass energy and highs have a little more microdetails. Fine.
So members ... any idea or experimenting with ad797.
Have any sense replacing AD797ar with AD797br?
Any sense putting 50pf between pins 6 and 8.
Any sense putting transistor on output?
From datasheet power consumption is about 60mA for AVCCL and AVCCR when clock is 100mhz. And AD797 maximal output is 50mA. When i tuch it is warm, not extremely hot. Voltage is about 3,36V so everything seems good.
I have not finished with mesurements and mods because i have no time today. Next week i will go further.
²ËÄñ£¬AVCC +3.3V¿É·ñÓÃ2¸öAD797¹©µç£¿ - Powered by Discuz!
¡¾Prometheus 9018¹«²â°æÌåÑéÖÆ×÷¡¿¡*¼´½«Ñ²»ØÑݳö(9.10¸üÐÂ) - Powered by Discuz!
Hear it in the one drop
Till that time all your ideas are welcome.
Thank you

Attachments

• ad797.jpg
    ad797.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 380
  • es9018.jpg
    es9018.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 386
  • xmos reg.jpg
    xmos reg.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 401
  • regulators.jpg
    regulators.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 396
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.