help required with clock frequency for phillips pro 2 lf transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Sirs,

Can you advise the following: I have a low noise PSU (flea) suitable for powering a Txco clock for my Phillips Pro 2 LF transport .

The oscillator on the transport is 8.4672 MHz however i happen to have a 16.9344 MHz Txco to hand --I notice this is used by German CD player website (Acusticperfect) and sold as a module to clock a Phillips CD Pro 2 !)

so.... could i also clock the cd pro 2 at 16.9344 MHz (as opposed to 8.4672 MHz)

Also... any links to a definitive instructions for replacing a clock on this transport seem to be broken or removed..any ideas on this, I cant find a solution!

my thanks as ever

johnny

The pro 2 uses the SAA7324 servo decoder dac chip.

It could be clocked at 16.9344Mhz, but I have not investigated the chip settings for this.

The clock needs to connect to the CRIN pin 16.

There's a fair bit of info on the tent labs site if you google it :)

http://www.tentlabs.com/Components/page4/assets/cdpro2mVAUspec11.pdf

http://www.akustik-perfekt.homepage.t-online.de/the-audio-collection/SAA7324_2.pdf

BTW, there are quite a few warnings advising not to run the player without a clock........I believe it can damage the SAA7324

Thank you for the reply

Hi UV101,

Thanks for getting back though I was all alone here:mad:

I read the attached documents , I must have missed 7.1.1 which says the clock can be 16.9344Mhz if required (but its seems mostly 8.4672 as default from the factory)

There is/was a promising link on the Tentlabs site about fitting a clock but the link appears broken, there was (a few years ago) some good practical info on the daisy laser site but that's seem gone? I think you have to put a 75 ohm resistor across the clock inputs on the cd chassis for loading?

The tech stuff you kindly attached says about using a 16.9344 clock but also mentions about changing shadow registers?- that don't sound like plug and play as far as I can determine? (and I don't know how to do that!)

I will stick with the 8 meg clock (which is the one its using just now)

I will get an 8 meg tentlads clock (unless any has tried a 16 meg clock and it works sort of plug and play?-- is there any advantage in this?)

thanks again UV101 I shall read the Tec stuff attached.

best regards

Johnny

SAA7324 Clock input voltage limit.

Hi Gents--One thing occurs to me if I relock my CD Pro2 would I destroy the Servo chip by putting a clock of 5 volts amplitude in to it?-- is it expecting 3.3 volts?

I have looked at the SAA7324 Data sheet but did not see any info relating to clock amplitude and possible damage.

regards

jOHNNY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.