Frankenstein laser pick-up, aka. how to adjust laser power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was in need of a philips VAM1202/21 laser unit, but that is quite rare and expensive to come by, so decided to transplant the little PCB to a VAM1202/12 which has (supposedly) the same laser unit but the /12 has on board laser driver circuit, /21 does not have this, and the break out cable is also different.
So the transplant was successfull, but the laser current trimmer was set for the old laser, after the transplantation the new pickup was not much better, in terms of reading discs. I added a little more current to the laser and after that it read the cds well, but now I'm unsure if I'm overstress the laser diode. I found the service manual for the philips CDM12.1 which is a close relative to the VAM1202/12, the manual says 4-6V and 60-90mA supply for the laser, but after installation I only could measure 2V on the laser, and the current was around 160mA ,that's quite far from the "ideal" but mine is a VAM the manual is for the CDM. How can I determine the optimal laser current?
By the way the CD player is an USHER CD100, and has a TDA1300T as laser driver/amplifier.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The only correct way is with a laser power meter. No other method exists.

That said, an alternative is to monitor the RF output on a scope and adjust for around 1.5 volts pk/pk as a maximum, but this method is not the same as measuring optical power output.

The scope is a Meguro 25MHz type, it should be enough for the task, I've taken measurements with the scope probe in both 1x and 10x mode to see if it is not limiting the bandwidth, but the result was the same.
Although with the rewiring I checked my work at least twice, and am pretty sure that everything is wired to the right place, but for a short moment let's imagine I swapped some of the diodes during the wiring, could that cause problem like this?

I really don't think I made a wiring mistake, and the pick-up actually works if I set the trimmer on the laser PCB a bit higher than it was left with the previous laser, the measurements were taken with these higher settings. I just don't want to see that the new laser dies in weeks...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If it works then there is no wiring mistake, that's a definite. So you have low RF output... it can only be either a pickup problem (a problem with the optics), or low current in the laser. The way laser diodes work mean that a relatively small increase in current should give a large increase in optical output. Its not linear, once a threshold current is reached (perhaps 40 or 50ma) and lasing starts then small increase should see the output (the RF output too) shoot up.

I really don't think I made a wiring mistake, and the pick-up actually works if I set the trimmer on the laser PCB a bit higher than it was left with the previous laser, the measurements were taken with these higher settings. I just don't want to see that the new laser dies in weeks...

You could try to find the RF test point, it should be labeled on the PCB. Check the amplitude is within 1.5V pp + and - 0.3V.

Some CD's have high reflectivity, producing around 1.8V pp, which is perfectly fine. You will find CD's that have low reflectivity and those may give you around 1.3V pp or lower. This is fine as well as long there's no tracking issues.

By the way, try to adjust the trim-pot on the "previous laser" slightly higher. You'll probably find that it will work okay for another 10 years.... The trim-pot setting on all laser pick-ups should be re-adjusted after a while (5 years or so) as part of the corrective maintenance (as I call it) because the laser output deteriorates with time. This is normal.

I would not be worried at all about the new laser setting. If all your CD's play okay without drop-outs and tracking issues -> you are ok to go.

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.