Accuphase DP-80 CD Not Reading

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
80L has an KSS-190A laser head inside.

After diagnosis - no signal from receiver photodiod. But is signal to light diod.
So the light diod is dead...

Question to everyone:

The laser head was NOT screwed during transportation, it can be damaged in that way ?
In this model (DP-80L) Laser head is on magnet system, not on gear, so it has freeway without voltage.

Sorry, my mistake, they are different

KSS-190A
Kss190a : Comand reparieren lassen! : Mercedes CLK W209 : #205924279

BU-1C

original Sony BU-1C only laser head lens - pick up ! new ! highend | eBay

It would be interesting to find out whether they share the same circiutry.
And if a BU-1C would fit the rails of a KSS-190, but the gear running on the rod close to the sensor coil seems to miss
As far as I remember, the RF amp (I guess CX 20109) was built for a long time.

But again, as I wrote yesterday: Time to unite our knowledge and passion to develop
a repair based on today´s diodes. My contribution could be the development of everything related co construction i.e. milling.

Last edited:
I should post the update to close the case here.

I have finally resolved the DP-80 not reading CD issue.

Not the Laser-pick up problem, was the ICs failure.

With the accuphase service manual help, the problem was diagnosed to be the failure of IC CX23035.

Replaced both ICs: CX23035 and 20108, the player still did not spin but after the full circuit adjustment back to the factory recommended value, than the CD started to spin normally and able to read the disc.

Tough repair.

With the accuphase service manual help, the problem was diagnosed to be the failure of IC CX23035.

Replaced both ICs: CX23035 and 20108, the player still did not spin but after the full circuit adjustment back to the factory recommended value, than the CD started to spin normally and able to read the disc.

Tough repair.

It is good quality service.

Can you give contacts here or to my P.M. please ?

Cause, it will be good to know good master man :cheers:

Hello all,

What I was able to determine so far is that KSS190a and BU1 units are not identical althoug they look alike. Furthermore, according to the schematics of both units, the laser diodes are not identical. I was able to find this diode, ADL-78051TL, which would (at least at first glance) match the one in KSS190, however, I am not sure about the physical appearance. Does anybody have a picture of a diode from a KSS190. That would be awesome. The reason I am interested in this is that I am waiting (anxiously) for a Sony 337 to arrive, and although I expect it to work, I would like to have a plan B in case the laser fails.

Thank you all,
Christian

Tough repair.

So many thanks for updating this (two years ago). It really helps others. I have just bought a DP-70V to repair... I can use the DAC at least! Not an option on a tranport only DP-80L..

What lubricant do you use for the linear mechs?
I have the Panasonic lubricant RFKXPG671 at hand,
which might be silicone based: White grease, prone to heat,
it does not melt. I think it was made for CD sliding mechs but I am not sure.
The BU-1 mechs use bronze bearings for sliding, like many mechs of that time.
Normally, bronze bearings are oiled when being used in motors,
but oiling is connected to the high rotational speed.
So the grease mentioned should be sufficient for sliding?
All the best,
Salar

At first, I used the silicon based white grease for the lubrication, however its ended up the linear mechs gear got stuck by the grease which turned sticky and colour changed to yellowish after sometimes. Its jammed the gears and CD tray and caused the tray couldn't slide to open.

Finally, i changed the grease to oil based lubricant for bearing, its worked very well till now, so far so good.

I have just acquired DP-80L which does not read T.O.C.
The mechanism appears to work fine, the 3 microswitches visible from the top are good.
The laser hunts for CD, its power is OK (looks like 0.1mW on the Leader LPM-8000), and it spins the CD.
Further, there is some data on the EFM test point.
But the T.O.C. is not read and the CD just spins forever with what looks like correct speed (although I have not measured it in any way).
Anyone has a Service Manual or even some suggestions where to go from here?
Cheers
Roman

Another quick observation.
The laser travel control (servo) appears to be faulty.
The head seems to linger next to CD tray and does not travel back to the park position as is the case with many players employing Sony magnetic drive units.
When manually moved to the outer circumference of the CD, it will travel properly to read the lead-in track at the centre.
But will not go back to park position after power cycling, making just a short jerk motion towards outside and returning to the centre.

Well, I managed to fix it.
Almost.
It now reads and plays CDs fine. Big thanks to Mooly and stephensank for their guides on how to align machines with Sony servo. Other than alignment, it needed good clean of the mechanism.
One issue is still present though and it baffles me.
It will not jump to any track past about 40 minute mark.
It will play fine a CD from beginning to end. It will play 90 minute CD-R to the last second which on the longest one that I have, happens to be at 84 minutes and 35 seconds. It will nicely fast-forward and rewind past 84 minutes but... it will not jump to any track which starts past 35th or 40th minute.
Other than that it is a brilliant machine.
Any suggestions?

Only an idea, it might be nonsense:
The BU-1 mech has a sensor coil that travels with the laser. This coil is running opposite side towards the two driver coils and gives a feedback of the laser unit´s horizontal position. Maybe something is
wrong with that but as far as I remember, it cannot be misaligned...

Please also check this after you have found the error, the sensitivity of the RF-Amp can be raised and the laser power turned down to prolong the laser´s life:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/dig...er-life-amplifying-current-7.html#post5604526

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.