Marantz SA-8260 Modifications Page

Dear Steve,
I have SA-8400. Is there any chance to set up right angle of laser (perpendicularity perhaps) using screws on laser guides? Laser unit is brand new, but I'm unable to set it up for reading every SACD and CD. Either it reads properly all SACDs and some CDs or most CDs and some SACDs. Do I have chance in amateur condition at home to adjust the whole thing properly to have read all CDs and SACDs at one setting?

Thank You
Jirka

Dear Steve,
I have SA-8400. Is there any chance to set up right angle of laser (perpendicularity perhaps) using screws on laser guides? Laser unit is brand new, but I'm unable to set it up for reading every SACD and CD. Either it reads properly all SACDs and some CDs or most CDs and some SACDs. Do I have chance in amateur condition at home to adjust the whole thing properly to have read all CDs and SACDs at one setting?

Thank You
Jirka

The SA-8400 uses the HOP 1200R laser, which is different from the one used in the SA-8260. AFAIK, there are no adjustments in installing a laser in the SA-8400, just like the SA-8260.
A new laser is not necessarily a good one. Best to just get another new laser and from a different supplier as the lasers are not overly costly.

Hi Steve, excellent article. I finally took the time to open up my SA8260 to check for the 1k resistor, and it's not there. Not surprise about that. I do have a question on what 1k resistor do I buy, for what wattage, 1 or 1/4 watt? And you can forward instruction on installing it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Michael

Hi Steve, excellent article. I finally took the time to open up my SA8260 to check for the 1k resistor, and it's not there. Not surprise about that. I do have a question on what 1k resistor do I buy, for what wattage, 1 or 1/4 watt? And you can forward instruction on installing it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Michael

Wow, a player that has never been serviced by Marantz for "the troubles". Any 1k resistor will do, 1/4W and 1/8W are small and easier to work with.
I'll send you a PM with more information.

Steve

Just want to share good news - I've just receive new head from China - and it's works perfectly!
Initially I've order used laser, and seller send me two instead on one. I've test both - they have issues with SACD read, after short conversation with seller he propose to send original new head with discount of previous purchase - Brand New KHM 230AAA KHM 230ABA 230AAA 230ABA Laser Lens Optical pick ups for Marantz Repair Part KHM230AAA KHM 230 KHM230ABA-in Car Radios from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress and that one works perfectly and price is quite adequate - $75 USD

Well, it looks like my 8260 is done playing CDs. The new replacement laser I bought from Supermanmeliu, which I installed 4 or 5 years ago looks to have failed as I am having the TOC errors all over again. This player has killed three lasers, one before the resistor mod and two after...

The CD63/67 players have their own laser issues. However the replacements are plentiful and low cost.
There should really be a lot of options in used cd players for about the cost of another laser from Supermanmeliu.
If you value the sacd play, then I think the SA-8005 player is a good option, but that's more costly than a CD63/67. And of course there are lots of Oppo players on the used market, though I'm not particularly enamormed of the sound.

The End

The era and day of the Marantz SA-8260 player is pretty much done and over. Only those players with a proper Sony laser work properly. And for the best sound one really needs to do much of my modification/reengineered package, especially installation of the DOS output stage.
My own SA-8260 player continues to work better than ever. In 2019 I replaced the boards and cables and installed new parts in the digital power supply section. The Sony replacement laser has 6 years operation time, and the player is used for several hours a day nearly every day. The disc reading function is good, though it still often takes 15 seconds to read a rbcd.

And then in July 2020 I purchased a Marantz SA-KI Ruby player. I purchased this player as it was on sale at an affordable price and featured the new reliable SACDM-3 laser mechanism. I had read about how the player makes all inputs into Quad DSD and then low pass filters the one bit data down to usable analog.
Words did not tell how good the sound was. Right out of the box the sound was immeasurably better than the very fine sound from my 8260. I immediately retired my SA-8260 player.

The new era Marantz sacd players are the real go. These are the SA-10, the Ruby, the SA-12, and the new SACD N30. These players are sacd disc spinners with full function USB "dacs". The new N30 player also features streaming ability. These are the ones to go for. The N30 is reasonably priced in the US market, a very good value though not cheap at all.