Cheap USB- soundcard for raspberry pi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Thats what I use with my Raspberry PI. I use MPD with a wireless NIC for a music streamer - play music off my desktop PC. It works great in my workshop - my amp and speakers which are just OK are the quality are the quality bottleneck - not the PI and DAC. I recommend for $13.

OK great...

But do you use a separate DAC via digital output or the direct analog outpt of this cheap device?

My question is, if this cheap device would also be suitable for a setup with an extra DAC,amp and speakers with quite good quality, but no superior equipment, if I'm using the digital output.... Connected to a good DAC...

It should compare to the sound of an airport express connected to the same DAC via toslink optical

ThAnks for your answers...
Regards
Knorst

Last edited:
I just run the direct 3.5 mm to RCA out into my Amp. No need for a second DAC - that would be redundant. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. I use in my workshop with older HT receiver and cheap bookshelf. The device would only be a sound quality bottleneck in a much higher-end system.

Well ok thank you....

but my question goes in a different direction:

is the PCM2704 in combination with the raspberry pi using the spdif output of the PCM2704 able to provide high quality digital sound up to cd quality to feed a good DAC and a good amp/speaker system...with quite good Canton speakers (Ergo RCL, old but still good!)

thanx for further answers...

greetings knorst ;-)

Thank you,

but i was very interested in this project:

SqueezePlug

which should work mor or less out of the box...

what were your problems? are they related to the audio capabilities of the raspberry pi?

Does a android box work via a remote app, without the necessity to use a screen...

greetings
knorst

Last edited:
No matter what you read on "guides" you will have to go through some programming.
You will face "unexplained" problems etc. Pi is still tricky, not mature enough as a product to work out of the box. But of course this is one of the reasons that it is so cheap.

Analog audio out is to my ears very bad.

USB output (probably this is what you will use to connect your DAC) is simply FULL of problems. Just google raspberry usb audio output.

Pi is great as a next level for those who use arduinos, pics, msp's etc eg for robots. Not for anything else.

If you want something to play with then by all means go for it. If what you want is something to connect and play and be in peace but still have the option to tweak then an android box is the way to go.

I got android on my tablet. So do I need a micro usb to usb and plug that straight into my dac? I'd also prefer to keep my audio files off my tablet, and on an external hard drive. Maybe get a NAS for this or convert one of my external hard drives into a NAS.

Which audio player for android plays FLAC? I got my audio collection in FLAC.

Sorry if You would just be using the PCM2704 (a DAC) to convert USB to SPDIF to another DAC, presumably you have an existing DAC with no way to connect to PI. Is that what you were getting?

I would not dismiss the the PI. Worth pursuing for $35 - good way to learn Linux, epitomizes DIY. It works well. I have a Sonos as well. For $350, pretty nice - plug and play in 5 mins. Decent built in DAC.

Droid is interesting idea. Would you have to root to be able to mount CIFS/NFS share in DROID to access files on PC or NAS? How is that done? DROID seems more consumer driven, locked down Linux. PI open.

Well ok thank you....

but my question goes in a different direction:

is the PCM2704 in combination with the raspberry pi using the spdif output of the PCM2704 able to provide high quality digital sound up to cd quality to feed a good DAC and a good amp/speaker system...with quite good Canton speakers (Ergo RCL, old but still good!)

thanx for further answers...

greetings knorst ;-)

I have a concrete problem...

i want a system connected to my dac and amp with the possibility to remote control.

It should be low cost...

Raspberry Pi:

After research, the android box still seems to be in an experimental state what concerns digital audio output...Rpi doesn't seem to be the device without huge amount of setup necessity...

Alltough few projects exists:

SqueezePlug

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

RaspyFi - Pi never sounded so good!

The Android Box:

The only Android app with remote control i've seen so far, is xbmc...

Wereas it is very obvious that xbmc has it's priorities on Video Playback....

The existing remote apps can't compete with the remote capabilities of streaming services like remote for itunes (airplay) or the logitech media server LMS (squeezebox).

For me the perfect solution would be running a LMS server on an Android box, which isn't possible....

any other ideas?
knorst

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.