Sony CDP790 and KSS240 Restoration Project

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrea,
Once someone starts doing random things in an attempt to do something they don't have the resources to do, you can only make things worse.

I've had enough service experience, and experience seeing what other technicians have done when they are over their head, I know this will not end well should you continue right now. There is zero reason you need to have this fixed right at this moment except that you want to fix it right now. I understand, but you can't continue just yet.

You haven't listened to me. I said early on you need to get the correct table height. You have been told it is a critical adjustment. You did move it, you have not measured another in order to set it correctly. Therefore step #1 is to put the darned table back exactly where it needs to be. We already know this isn't correct yet. So why on earth would you continue knowing this has to be set correctly first?

The next step is to observe the eye pattern - after you have the correct height. If the focus is off, the eye pattern will not be at full height, we know this.

I am trying to help you, but I am not going to waste my time when you are not following basic steps. I'll wish you luck with this.

Hi anatech,
I'm sorry I made you angry. But I haven't other machines with the same laser, so I cannot make any measure of height and therefore I cannot get the correct height. Also searching on e web. This is the reason that I didn't listen to you :-( The other way is wait, searching on the web, maybe to find that data. Or throw my machine in the bin :-( :-(
So, I don't do anything until I have a scope.
And thank you for all the time you're spending.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrea,
You didn't make me angry at all. But I recognise where this will go if we don't follow the basic steps one by one. It's just that trying to help someone is a total waste of time if they won't do the required things in order.

I have been looking for a machine I can measure to get the height. In service, we don't do it that way (we use jigs). Anyway, if I can find it I will let you know. Anyone with the same transport can measure this for us as well. So the KSS-240A and KSS-210A/150A head transports are the exact same distance. Probably the KSS-213A also, but I can't be sure.

So let's just put it out there. Anyone with these heads in a CD player, can you measure between the top of the turntable to the chassis where the motor is screwed to in mm? If a few can measure this we can get an accurate idea instead of depending on one person who may get their caliper on an angle.

You absolutely need this first before you do anything. Once we have this done we can get somewhere.

As I always say. It isn't usually the big things that will get you when you aren't trained. It's the seemingly small things.

Thank you.
Could you write on this image where have I to measure the distance?

Andrea

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228-093047_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228-093047_Gallery.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 29