marantz cd 10.......scematics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
CD10 is like a more modern version of CD80. It has a CDM4 mechanics ( more easy to find than the CDM1 as used in CD80 ). It is a well built machine but unfortunately it uses 1 bit technology of the less good sounding kind. AFAIK it has TDA1547 but I could very well be wrong, I don't see them too often you know. Sound wise it is not special, mechanics is top quality.

A good basis for a very good cdplayer I would say. A TDA1543/1541 DAC would be a good marriage ( when built IN the cdplayer that is ).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
thanks guys, but were do i find the I2S signals....?

In the cdplayer :D

Seriously, open the thing and write down the chipnumbers. Since I don't have schematics I need chipnumbers for giving advice.

In the case of building a new DAC inside the cdplayer I would remove the TDA1547's ( after the new DAC has proven to work correctly that is ! ).

Seriously, open the thing and write down the chipnumbers

yes yes yes.....will do - and i can search the internet too...!!!!:D

you know jean paul, this is one serious player - techwise that is.

it has the greates drive and loading thing....and its not just on big pcb - its seperat for each section so its very easy to rebuild and take apart too......
the box/chassis itself is very nice too - very big and timeless.

this model allways catches very high prices on ebay - now i know why......
well i haven't had time to listen to it yet, but i don't think the sound is special at all.....but this thing is heavy.

my plan is to use the box and drive - and then put new supplys in it, and a nos dac...tda1541a s1....etc.

any ideas is welcome....thanks:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
you know jean paul, this is one serious player - techwise that is.

it has the greates drive and loading thing....and its not just on big pcb - its seperat for each section so its very easy to rebuild and take apart too......
the box/chassis itself is very nice too - very big and timeless.

I know the model, the problem is that I see a lot of fine CDM based cdplayers :clown: Only the very well sounding models stay in my mind :bigeyes:

tbla said:

this is the one.....

That is easy then. Look for the web on data, think there is enough there.

After the decoder you will find the filter and then the DACs (with some logic between filter and DACS). Search here, there was a post on this. Filter,DACS and analog output circuits can go if you want to switch to nos.

Check if the 11MHz clock is connected to the filter at the moment.
If so, you need to connect a clock to the decoder instead (Kwak,Tent,$).

Guido

Only the very well sounding models stay in my mind

jean-paul, in this case it's not about sound - but the very fine box and drive/loader.....i will rebuild this player to higher standards....
but if you get the chance, try to have a look inside this thing - it's perfect.....and i almost got it for free......

thanks guido, the clock is connected to the filter so i'll need a clock connected to the decoder when i remove the "analog" pcb....

there is a npc filter followed by the saa7350+tda1547 combination and then a 5532 + 2 x 5534 opa's.
doesn't the tda1547 have voltage out....?

you too should have a look inside side this player - forget the older phillips/marantz models - this on is much better.......:)

A CD10 almost for free... Mmm, you should mail me your source!
Guess you were v lucky. I could use something like that (CD11,CD16,whatever). My best player is a stock (for now) CD60 , which is plastic, but nice anyway and already TDA1541.

The second dig filter is for making the 1 bit 'bitstream' data (so the TDA1547 does not receive I2S). Do a search here, there is a post with this. You only need the decoder.

The 1547 is voltage out, but they used the opamps for filtering and to go from a differential to single-ended signal. Maybe there is a diff output too. Dont mind about the 5534's, the 1547 seems to have them inside too (as i read somewhere on the net). So upgrading the 5534's would not bring so much.

Greetings,

GuidoB

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
you too should have a look inside side this player - forget the older phillips/marantz models - this one is much better.......

What I was trying to make clear is that I *know* this cdplayer from inside but I forgot what chipset it has apart from TDA1547. As I already said it has a very similar approach as CD80. BTW I always take a look in every cdplayer I mod ;) But I tend not to remember all things about them.

I won't forget the older philips/marantz cdplayers as they can sound a lot better than CD10, even when modded. Build quality not always correlates with sound quality. The ( unmodded ) cheap plastic TDA15xx boxes can sound very well, most of the time they are better than Teac VRDS 10 for example.

I won't forget the older philips/marantz cdplayers as they can sound a lot better than CD10

hey, i know that - but what i meant was that the builtquality in this newer player and its brothers - the cd11, cd14, cd15 and cd16 (perhaps others too) makes it ideal as base for a "deluxe-mod".....and i know that the tda1547 sucks in most ways and it will leave my cd10 in a few days, later to be substituted with the tda1541as1......:)
as you can see i'm only using the very nice box and the drive/loader.....

i paid euro 135......and it's as new and untouched....;)

Few years ago (ca. 10) I did some modifications on a friend's Marantz CD10. It's very well built player with cast metal CDM transport (I think it was CDM9pro) and DAC7 chipset. It had NPC digital filter and two TDA1547 dacs and there were many opamps (5532 and 5534) in analog part and it had capacitor coupled outputs.
At the time I did some mechanical mods (bitumen sheets etc.), changed PS diodes for fast/soft recovery, AD827 & AD847 instead 5532/4, and installed servo loop to get rid of coupling caps (maybe I did something else but can't remember any more).
It did play a bit better than stock unit
:)

I'm interested in any info too. I was looking at buying a CD10, but have now just acquired a CD16 instead (same transport mech, same DAC, HDAM output stage, slightly lighter build due to lack of cast iron sides). However, my mods are going to concentrate on making it a transport, as I have an offboard DAC (which is also being modified until I can afford that wadia (which will also get modded ;) :D )). Obviously clocking, AES/EBU output, etc...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.